ORU vs. Duke

ORUSwagger

57 minutes ago, RandomDukeFan said:

Tough finish to a great season for you guys.  Furman did you no favors beating Virginia on the same floor earlier in the day which I'm sure Scheyer pointed out to his team pregame.  Duke clearly focused on taking Abmas  out of the game as much as possible and I think if Vanover could have hit a couple early threes it could have changed the game a bit and forced Duke to adjust their defense.  Mills made a nice adjustment to the offense getting guys cutting to the basket but in the end Duke had too much size and athleticism.  

That's particularly the case with Lively who was everywhere on defense and if he didn't block the shot at the rim he definitely had guys looking over their shoulder.  

30 wins is nothing to be ashamed of.

You guys have a very good team. It's hard to imagine losing as many games as you did this season playing like you are right now. The way your bigs pick up our guards outside the three point line, I'm not sure I've seen much like that before. We just struggled to find something that worked to get us the looks we wanted. Duke seems to be a complete team on both ends of the court, with offensive weapons that are hard to keep track of. I'm struggling to think of another team that has had that many true bigs, with that level of athleticism and skill. 

I feel bad the guy's had to go out that way, but your continued success will hopefully help show what we were up against. Tennessee will likely match up better, but I didn't see the execution that I thought Duke had tonight. 

This team was very special this year and was dominant versus the Summit League.  They ran into problems against top 25 teams such as Houston, St. Mary's, and Duke.  The main issue was the Eagles still really have no post up type players and rely too much on one on one hero ball.  It may work versus the Summit League but not against top teams.  Max driving on some athletic 6'8 guy from Duke just does not work.   

The announcers were saying the Eagles needed to pass the ball and hit the open man instead of just one player dribbling all alone and then trying to score.  It makes sense but was not the game plan.  ORU tried to hit 3s and when that did not work then they went to the drive game.  I think the only thing you could do versus Duke is pass the ball and try to find the open man.  Otherwise you are just over matched at every position.  

9 hours ago, Ting said:

have to fast forward to the middle for our guys

Coach Mills should take the closing comment from McBride and show it to every potential recruit….especially those in the portal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jmg1984 said:

Just curious don't they try to and none of the big schools want to

That is completely incorrect. If anyone tries to tell you that, they are being deceitful. 

Do you really think P5 teams pick up the phone when we call and think to themselves, out of all the teams in the nation we are scared to play ORU. Like ORU40 said, we schedule in a way to help maximize the NET and other rankings. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but just be honest about it. 

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman thought he would feel better today when he got up.....but I don't.....the sting of a 74-51 butt kicking still lingers in my old bones.....gonna take a while to get over this one.....it's even worse than the loss to KC in the Super Bowl.....honestly don't even feel like watching any basketball this weekend....and 2 glasses of Chianti last night didn't dull the pain.....even consoling from MrsEagleman not helping.....she knows how much I wanted this victory.....biggest game in 50 years for my beloved alma mater and this is what happens?.....phone was blowing up yesterday and now totally silent.....TheEagleman feels like David in the scriptures....HOW LONG OH LORD?!?!?!?.......Image result for George Costanza

• Like 1

I remember that Oral used to say, "On the brink of disaster, on the verge of a miracle." Hopefully, there is some unexpected blessing that will come from this. But I get it. It's SO hard to accept. 😞 

• Upvote 3

Everyone is different and reacts to losses differently.  When Duke got up 15-0 early on the game, I was like well they are just on another level then ORU and that is ok.  Duke is a blue blood and one of the best programs in college basketball history.  If the game had been like the Sweet 16 and the Eagles had lost by inches, now that would have been a very bitter pill to swallow.  But to each his own.  

10 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman thought he would feel better today when he got up.....but I don't.....the sting of a 74-51 butt kicking still lingers in my old bones.....gonna take a while to get over this one.....it's even worse than the loss to KC in the Super Bowl.....honestly don't even feel like watching any basketball this weekend....and 2 glasses of Chianti last night didn't dull the pain.....even consoling from MrsEagleman not helping.....she knows how much I wanted this victory.....biggest game in 50 years for my beloved alma mater and this is what happens?.....phone was blowing up yesterday and now totally silent.....TheEagleman feels like David in the scriptures....HOW LONG OH LORD?!?!?!?.......Image result for George Costanza

As ORUTerry often says, it's never as good or bad as it seems. 

Don't let last night get you down. That Duke team may be the most talented team in the nation and could easily win the whole thing. It was the worst possible match-up. There is no shame in last night. Regular season and conference tourney champs...focus on that. 

• Upvote 6

TheEagleman was the complete opposite....when it got to 15-0 and we were 8 minutes into the game and scoreless I was just in total shock.....fortunately I had a half jug of Chianti staring me down from the dining room.....just brutal....if you had told TheEagleman yesterday afternoon that Duke would finish with 74 points....I would have signed up for that and counted the game in the win column....Bring on Tennessee!!!.....but to only score 51????...Max looked totally lost....Vanover was a complete laughing stock and my friends were blowing up my phone saying....WHO IS THAT STIFF????....Jurgens??...missing open layups multiple times....wide open 3 point shots just not even close but pretty much all the guys....McBride was the only player who seemed to have a clue and Weaver and Mwumba played hard.....glad those young men should be coming back.....gonna be a looooong day for TheEagleman.....but I will get thru it......🍷🍷🍷

14 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman was the complete opposite....when it got to 15-0 and we were 8 minutes into the game and scoreless I was just in total shock.....fortunately I had a half jug of Chianti staring me down from the dining room.....just brutal....if you had told TheEagleman yesterday afternoon that Duke would finish with 74 points....I would have signed up for that and counted the game in the win column....Bring on Tennessee!!!.....but to only score 51????...Max looked totally lost....Vanover was a complete laughing stock and my friends were blowing up my phone saying....WHO IS THAT STIFF????....Jurgens??...missing open layups multiple times....wide open 3 point shots just not even close but pretty much all the guys....McBride was the only player who seemed to have a clue and Weaver and Mwumba played hard.....glad those young men should be coming back.....gonna be a looooong day for TheEagleman.....but I will get thru it......🍷🍷🍷

That Duke team has 5 guys on it that are projected to be 1rst round picks in the next 2 NBA drafts. Not sure when the last time ORU has played against that much talent. They are a really young team but are putting it together at the right time for sure. 

Max had to work so hard to get any space at all that had to wear him down. Duke just switched every screen with another tall athletic guy to cover him. Hard to get open against guys that are 6 inches taller and more athletic than you are. 

Vanover just ran up against guys close to same height but much more physical and talented than he is. Terrible matchup for him as well. It happens. 

Probably one of the worst teams matchup wise ORU could have played. Much rather had played Virginia! 🙂

• Upvote 2

Well said, Darren.....TheEagleman will just have to accept that reality.....we got beat by a better team with better players...my high hopes were just unrealistic.....your comments will bring me back to some common sense thinking....Duke had not been healthy most of the season until near the end and the past few weeks they have had their whole team of 4 and 5 star recruits back.....ORU just ran into a buzzsaw and Duke probably more of a 2 or 3 seed at worst....oh yeah, would rather have played the VA Cavaliers......God Bless Furman!! 👍

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RandomDukeFan said:

Tough finish to a great season for you guys.  Furman did you no favors beating Virginia on the same floor earlier in the day which I'm sure Scheyer pointed out to his team pregame.  Duke clearly focused on taking Abmas  out of the game as much as possible and I think if Vanover could have hit a couple early threes it could have changed the game a bit and forced Duke to adjust their defense.  Mills made a nice adjustment to the offense getting guys cutting to the basket but in the end Duke had too much size and athleticism.  

That's particularly the case with Lively who was everywhere on defense and if he didn't block the shot at the rim he definitely had guys looking over their shoulder.  

30 wins is nothing to be ashamed of.

Thanks for your sensitive words! If this was basketball, and I was a coach, I would recruit you. You represent your school well!

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

They sure looked pretty intimidated to me

TheEagleman was a bit bothered when Coach Mills was interviewed at the 12 min first half media timeout with I think the score was 15-2 and was asked what can ORU do to get back in the game?....and he answered....it's just a little bit of nerves....we will be alright.....huh?...Nerves??....all we heard was that this ORU team was "built for March"....I just had to shake my head....time for a Shamrock Shake......🍺

4 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Coach Mills should take the closing comment from McBride and show it to every potential recruit….especially those in the portal. 

Agree 100%. McBride is exactly the type of player we want on our team. He represents ORU so very well. He's one of a kind.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman was a bit bothered when Coach Mills was interviewed at the 12 min first half media timeout with I think the score was 15-2 and was asked what can ORU do to get back in the game?....and he answered....it's just a little bit of nerves....we will be alright.....huh?...Nerves??....all we heard was that this ORU team was "built for March"....I just had to shake my head....time for a Shamrock Shake......🍺

Eagleman, what would you say to a reporter who is stealing valuable seconds as you try to recover from a punch in the face? (I was kind of ticked at the reporter, but she was just doing her job too). This was relatively new to us, but teams had gone on runs before on us this season and we had recovered. There were nerves! Guys were missing shots that they normally hit because they thought that someone may come sailing in any minute. If Filipowski hadn't been shown on camera puking into a bucket, I would definitely say that we were showing more nerves than they were. Our initial sense of, "we can regain that lost ground" because we had all the time before ultimately proved to be our undoing.

TheEagleman would have asked Coach Mills.....why does your team seem so unprepared after having 5 days to get ready for Duke??....now that would have been a great question.....image.jpeg.4d4002fc93c93535705e422318953b49.jpeg

It is a lot of pressure when you are playing in front of 18-19,000 fans and on CBS.  I think the biggest crowd ORU faced this year was 9-10,00 at the Pit in New Mexico.  They felt the intensity of the game.  It showed early on but also from the tip Duke looked like a pro team and ORU looked like a college team.  Pretty sure it was overwhelming.

It was entirely different from the 2021 tournament, where there might be 1500 at the game.  Those match ups were played in mostly empty gyms.  ORU also did not play schools with huge advantages at every position in 2021.  Florida was bigger but nothing like Duke.  Did you notice the Blue Devils brought another 7'1 guy Reeves off the bench in the last few minutes.  So, Duke has three 7 footers and a 6'10 guy on their team.  That is just not fair!