ORU vs. NDSU - 2023 Summit League Championship

SonofaLegend

Still 6:30 left in the NDSU/SDSU game, but I'm calling it. Glad we don't have to play against the true 6th man of the year! These fans are LOUD.

Bring it on, Baby......TheEagleman is ready for some NDSU and so is Max.......image.jpeg.ecd33a97e82c1a0e185c5f90b6e2c0dc.jpeg

• Like 1

NDSU has been to 5 straight championship games and 9 out of the last 11.  Safe to say that the tournament usually goes thru the Bison.  Hopefully ORU remembers losing to NDSU last year in the tournament and uses that as fuel to go to the Big Dance!

7 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

NDSU has been to 5 straight championship games and 9 out of the last 11.  Safe to say that the tournament usually goes thru the Bison.  Hopefully ORU remembers losing to NDSU last year in the tournament and uses that as fuel to go to the Big Dance!

The boys knew that they would have to beat one more team to get to The Dance. I wonder if they had any preferences? We'll never know of course. Hopefully, tonight was their only bad shooting night of the tournament. Hopefully, too, Mwamba isn't too banged up. With this many games in a short time frame, it's ideal to have everyone at the top of their game. Our team has not disappointed all season and has always come up with the recipe needed to succeed. May they find that recipe again for tomorrow night!

57 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

On a positive note, hopefully they remember how they beat NDSU in the semi-finals in 2021 to go to the SL Championship team and get the AQ to the Big Dance (and onward to the Sweet Sixteen after beating OSU and UF).  NDSU is big, but they are beatable.  We have done it twice this year - a third time is coming.

Sorry but we beat NDSU in the Finals in 2021 almost blowing a 28 point 2nd half lead....TheEagleman remembers that.... beat SDSU in the semis on a KO buzzer putback....🤩

• Thanks 1

In the post game presser for NDSU, Nelson said he has been to the title game every year, but this year the result will be different. Anyone know how how to get that message to the team? Great bulletin board matrial.

38 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

In the post game presser for NDSU, Nelson said he has been to the title game every year, but this year the result will be different. Anyone know how how to get that message to the team? Great bulletin board matrial.

They looked REALLY good tonight; hopefully their younger players will feel the pressure Tuesday night.

Playing 3 nights in a row....Bison have to be tired.....they will fade in the 2nd half....🤔

Here is what I posted on the Summit tourney thread, that may have some relevance here:

The SDSU fans will likely show up, as the new ticketing system gives preference to those that show up to all the sessions. If you skip sessions, you won't be able to get the best seats for next years tournament. The first three rows of the section behind each teams bench are reserved for the fans of the schools playing, and everyone sitting in those seats are given a lanyard to wear temporarily during the game. After the game, everyone hands their lanyard back in, and has to move back to the seats that are on their tickets.  

Though this system does give an advantage to the fans of 2 particular schools in this league, I gotta admit I am impressed with the number of SDSU fans that fill the arena for every game. 

It's a toss up as to who they will be cheering for, as many have taken Mills comments very personally, but I'm not sure if that will override the history of bad blood between the Dakota schools. I hope they jump on our bandwagon, as they really have the ability to impact the game. At one point tonight, a Tommies player started pumping his arms up and down, to signal to the crowd to get loud, and the arena immediately stood up with a deafening roar. It was wild.

• Upvote 3

I know I should feel confident about tonight's game, but it feels like the air has been being slowly let out of our balloon for the past few weeks. Someone tell me that I'm being overly pessimistic. 

10 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

I know I should feel confident about tonight's game, but it feels like the air has been being slowly let out of our balloon for the past few weeks. Someone tell me that I'm being overly pessimistic. 

You're being overly pessimistic! Eagles have done whatever they needed to do to pull out the win in every Summit game this season, and tonight will be no exception.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Not overly pessimistic.  Our defense hasn't been as stifling like it was in the first half of the conference season, and we haven't seen the offense hitting with the efficiency it was either.

Add to that, NDSU sure seems like they are figuring it out, and Grant had a huge game last night. 

If Grant does a good job of kicking it out to the three point line, they will be a tough team to beat. 

It may have been jitters last night, but we missed a lot of open threes early on, and St. Thomas did a good job of capitalizing on offense, keeping the pressure on us. 

If we hit more of our open looks from outside, it should definitely help open up everything, and allow our offense to roll. 

• Upvote 2

Voice...you are ALWAYS overly pessimistic.....but that said I agree that ORU has not brought the A game most of the time in the past few weeks except for the UND game on Saturday....we kicked their butts for sure....tonight ORU is -10....that's a large number and will have to say that NDSU played impressively last night.....but this will be their 3rd night in a row and perhaps they shot their wad last night against the hated Jacks.....TheEagleman expects a close game in the first half but ORU can wear them down in the 2nd....we have handled these guys twice this season....Max is going to come to play....if the refs call a fair game I think he's going to have a big night....we need to control Nelson and hopefully Mills plays a lot of Mwamba on him.....that will be a war.....this has been a marvelous season and expecting it to be completed tonight with a big win on National TV ESPN2......ORU 85  NDSU 77.......GO BLUE!!! :tb-blue:

There are a lot of reasons to be concerned about tonight's game. ORU was hitting on all cylinders early, and they BURIED teams that were still trying to find their way. But now those teams have figured things out, while at the same time some of the sharpness that was so evident in those earlier games seems to have worn off - whether a result of injuries, fatigue, "peaking too early" or whatever. Max, who at his peak was topping 30ppg, has only made it over 20 in one of the last three games. Defense is laggin a little bit. And overall, the team just doesn't look as crisp and sharp as they did a few weeks back. Add to that the strong performance of NDSU last night, and I'm sure it makes us all less certain of domination tonight than we were expecting a couple weeks ago.

In the postgame interview yesterday Coach Mills stated that the type of player that gives ORU the most trouble is a big man that can shoot. We know NDSU is blessed in that department, with Nelson and Morgan.

But one of the things that I've loved about this team all season is their ability to find a way to win. Someone posted a stat that in games won by 5 or less ORU is 5 or 6 to O. Undefeated in close games. At this point that is the strength that I'm counting on to pull out the win tonight.

• Upvote 1

If we let Nelson get that many boards again tonight, we won't be happy with the end score. Against the tommies we were severely out rebounded at halftime, second half did slightly better although I would not say a good job - and evened the rebound margin. 

Tonight we must - Take care of the ball, take care of the boards, and we take care of business. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ting said:

If we let Nelson get that many boards again tonight, we won't be happy with the end score. Against the tommies we were severely out rebounded at halftime, second half did slightly better although I would not say a good job - and evened the rebound margin. 

Tonight we must - Take care of the ball, take care of the boards, and we take care of business. 

Amen. Defensive rebounds are a result of offensive misses - SDSU couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night.