ORU vs. NDSU - 2023 Summit League Championship

SonofaLegend

1 hour ago, SonofaLegend said:

No, the portal and players for cash will ensure the one bid leagues will stay that way. Even if we beat Houston, St. Mary's, and Utah State, the committee would have found another reason there wasn't enough room for us in the NCAA, if we had lost in the Summit tournament. 

Respectfully disagree.  I am now convinced a 29-5 ORU would have indeed received an at-large bid this year because:

• So few upsets of No. 1 seeds in the mid-major conferences (keeping them all 1-bid leagues)
  • No lower-division "bid stealers" winning tournament championships in the larger conferences (so far)
  • So many bad performances in the conference tournament opening rounds by most of the bubble teams (North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Michigan, Wisconsin, North Carolina State, New Mexico, etc.)
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Respectfully disagree.  I am now convinced a 29-5 ORU would have indeed received an at-large bid this year because:

• So few upsets of No. 1 seeds in the mid-major conferences (keeping them all 1-bid leagues)
  • No lower-division "bid stealers" winning tournament championships in the larger conferences (so far)
  • So many bad performances in the conference tournament opening rounds by most of the bubble teams (North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Michigan, Wisconsin, North Carolina State, New Mexico, etc.)

Well I am glad we will be going to the Selection Sunday event knowing we will see our name appear, and not hoping! That would have been awesome to see us as an at large team though. I suppose anything can happen in the coming years, but the new rules seem to put a league like ours at an even greater disadvantage. 

I would be very surprised if the Tommies are able to sell the dream for 3 years, just for the chance to make it as a senior. I heard from a Tommie's fan, Rhode and Marquette have been in contact, as he is from that area, and "it's hard for a 19 year old kid to turn down cash". 

It's hard for me to project the Summit will have a team as strong as SDSU was last year or ORU was this year in the next 3-5 years, but who knows, Mills may be just getting started! 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, SonofaLegend said:

Well I am glad we will be going to the Selection Sunday event knowing we will see our name appear, and not hoping! That would have been awesome to see us as an at large team though. I suppose anything can happen in the coming years, but the new rules seem to put a league like ours at an even greater disadvantage. 

I would be very surprised if the Tommies are able to sell the dream for 3 years, just for the chance to make it as a senior. I heard from a Tommie's fan, Rhode and Marquette have been in contact, as he is from that area, and "it's hard for a 19 year old kid to turn down cash". 

It's hard for me to project the Summit will have a team as strong as SDSU was last year or ORU was this year in the next 3-5 years, but who knows, Mills may be just getting started! 

If Mills stays, I think we will regularly show up with a tough team at the Dance. He knows how to form, toughen and tighten a team. He has respect, and he creates the right atmosphere. Somehow he is also able to convince his players to put in the time "in the dark". I think special players will head to the transfer portal in order to play for him. Of course, getting one or multiple wins this year will help to seal the deal. Someone said earlier that Paul Mills is competitive. I'm counting on it. That is precisely the type of coach that we need to take us to the next level. Good coaches can take a high level school to the Dance regularly. Only a great coach can elevate a lower level program to do the same thing.

• Like 1

Crazy how there is no mention of them getting blown out by 23 at home!

Game was January 19, 2023. 

• Haha 1