ORU vs. NDSU - 2023 Summit League Championship

SonofaLegend

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

they sound resigned that Nelson is done at NDSU....

Bison Video Blog: Oral Roberts runs away from NDSU to win Summit League title

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-video-blog-oral-roberts-runs-away-from-ndsu-to-win-summit-league-title

That report was a BEAUTIFUL THING to listen to.

• Like 2

Mills has so many "tools" in his toolbelt with this team. He can change the tempo and offensive gameplan so easily just by mix and matching CV, Mwamba and Weaver. Not to mention Thompson and Jurgens. Any combination of those five gives the team a different look. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Looking at the schedule there have been 8 games were ORU won by 20 plus (not counting non D1 match ups) and in those blowouts, the Eagles just looked like a team we have not seen since the 70s.  When they get on a roll, such as they did last night, then they are a top 25 team.

Last night the defense was good and the 3s were falling early.  When ORU does that they are an elite team!

That is with not shooting the ball well in the 2nd half. Carlos missed 3 or 4 wide open shots. Could have been in the 40s easily. 

Do you think the Tommies would have beaten NDSU last night?  I think so, if Nelson played the same way as he did against us. Of course, Thompson and others had a lot to do about that. 

16 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Sorry, I'm a little drunk - I'm downing a shot every time one of the ESPN announcers mangles "Abmas".

Drunk Bottoms Up GIF by Bounce

OT, how was that As-smith Hangover this morning?  I'm fixing to take a nap!

In an interview after the NDSU-SDSU game Grant Nelson said he has been to the conference final 3 times and the outcome would be different this year. What he didn't realize is that it would be the biggest loss in terms of points that he would experience. I vividly remember talking with Coach Mills this summer and he showed me text after text of well known coaches that didn't want to play us this year. Mills told me we have a P5 type team. What shut Nelson down were talented high quality players.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Do you think the Tommies would have beaten NDSU last night?  I think so, if Nelson played the same way as he did against us. Of course, Thompson and others had a lot to do about that. 

Nelson played differently than the night before because of the difference in opponents.  He could not put a shot up without thinking of CV or Patrick or Kareem, and that totally changed his game.  He would've fared MUCH better against UST, and it would likely have been a toss-up.

• Upvote 1

• Dr. Cornelius changed the title to ORU vs. NDSU - 2023 Summit League Championship
On 3/7/2023 at 11:11 PM, lakesbison said:

dude had a 20/20 night b4 and his viral video is all the rage.  every NBA team has scouted him 

he gone

I wonder how much Coach Richman’s demeanor would factor into Nelson leaving? Richman seems to spend a lot of time yelling at his players during previous games I have watched. That would seem demotivate a fair amount of players. Also not sure they developed or used Nelson in the best way to show his skills. 

• Like 1

Just had a thought about a notion I've heard a fair amount after the game last night and also today and that is what a challenge it was for a young NDSU team to play 3 games in 3 days.  Didn't ORU win the Summit League tournament two years ago with a young team playing 3 games in 3 days?  Max, Carlos, Kareem, DJ all sophomores.  3 seniors that rarely played and bench full of freshmen.  Max played every minute of every game and looked fresh as a daisy.  Yea, it's hard but it isn't insurmountable...unless you come up against a really good team.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 5

It’s tough if you can’t do it… shows how good our strength & conditioning people are. Any one notice how Vanover got winded easily earlier in the season - and now he’s playing extended minutes? Pretty impressive turnaround. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

It’s tough if you can’t do it… shows how good our strength & conditioning people are. Any one notice how Vanover got winded easily earlier in the season - and now he’s playing extended minutes? Pretty impressive turnaround. 

Yes, I noticed. This season does not happen without him. 

8 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I felt like the Tommies were the second best team in the league, record notwithstanding. It feels like like their core is the most stable too. My guess is that they will challenge for the championship next year. How many more years before they can actually represent the Summit at the Dance (I hope we always do, but you know what I mean).

Before the last two undefeated conference champions, the tournament was won 3 times in 5 years by a team playing 3 days in a row, including NDSU in 2019.

ORU was the better team over the course of an 18-game schedule and twice head-to-head. 

I appreciate the Dakota fans passion but some of their fans (and media, apparently) are such homers they can't just accept a loss. 

On their board and other college basketball forums their fans have used the following excuses:

• ORU was hot and even its "non-shooters" were making shots. Which, first of all, feel free to have someone step out and guard Mwamba anytime. But also suggests that ORU was just throwing in junk.
  • The Summit League was "so down" this year, which is one I kept seeing repeated as ORU got more national attention this year. But, the conference NET and RPI was higher than its been in at least 4 seasons. Also, the league had 5 quality teams with 1st team all conference players. Just because the talent isn't concentrated in the Dakotas at the moment doesn't make it down. 
  • NDSU is "so bad" right now despite playing in 5 straight title games and having an NBA draft pick on the roster.
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, ORUTex said:

St. Thomas, which still has three seasons to play before it will become eligible for NCAA Tournament play in 2025-26, . . .”

https://news.stthomas.edu/in-the-news-st-thomas-mens-basketball-is-ascending-quickly/

All the more reason to be impressed with their athletes. Their good players are freshmen, I think. They will have one Senior year for a shot at the Dance if they stay with the team. My guess is that they will be formidable if that happens. Can we be a 2-bid league by then?

On 3/8/2023 at 4:02 PM, ORUTerry said:

I wonder how much Coach Richman’s demeanor would factor into Nelson leaving? Richman seems to spend a lot of time yelling at his players during previous games I have watched. That would seem demotivate a fair amount of players. Also not sure they developed or used Nelson in the best way to show his skills. 

yea Richman is an asshole.  there's a lot of still shots on tv of him nose to nose in players mugs.   it's stupid.  yea he should run.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

What's the story behind Kyan going to Omaha, Lakes? 

On 3/8/2023 at 11:00 PM, ron said:

All the more reason to be impressed with their athletes. Their good players are freshmen, I think. They will have one Senior year for a shot at the Dance if they stay with the team. My guess is that they will be formidable if that happens. Can we be a 2-bid league by then?

No, the portal and players for cash will ensure the one bid leagues will stay that way. Even if we beat Houston, St. Mary's, and Utah State, the committee would have found another reason there wasn't enough room for us in the NCAA, if we had lost in the Summit tournament.