ORU vs. NDSU - 2023 Summit League Championship

SonofaLegend

7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

In other words, Grant Nelson has already quit NDSU, and it basically occurred either during or right after this game.  You can find the video in the Summit League YouTube page.

I took it the same way

7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Paul Mills flat out admitting that he planned his whole "I Hate Sioux Falls" campaign to create a distraction and prevent his team from getting asked so much about their 2021 Sweet Sixteen run and matching SDSU's undefeated conference run last season.

Admits, though, that he didn't anticipate it "getting so much traction".

Reminds me of that classic scene in Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid when they try to blow the safe on the train they're robbing, and accidentally destroy several cars:  "Think ya used enough dynamite there, Coach??"

Also, in a bizarre counter scene in the press room, Dave Richman brings only Boden Skunberg to the podium with him and mumbles in his opening statement about Skunberg being "misunderstood" and "is a guy from North Dakota with a chip on his shoulder and a lot of pride in this place, and I can promise you the two of us are going to continue to work."

In other words, Grant Nelson has already quit NDSU, and it basically occurred either during or right after this game.  You can find the video in the Summit League YouTube page.

The NDSU presser popped up as the next video in my feed after the ORU presser.  I don't mean to kick a man when he's down but I bristled when Skunberg kept repeating "and a non-shooter is making shots."  I assume he is referring to Mwamba and I think that is a mischaracterization.  For the year, Patrick shot .493 from the field and .391 from behind the arc.  Last night he shot .500 from the field and .400 from 3.  Dude shot right at his season average.  They may not think of him as a shooter.  They certainly guarded him as if he's not a shooter.  Unfortunately for them, the dude can shoot and that was big miscalculation on their part. 

My wife couldn't give two flips about basketball and wouldn't know a give and go from an alley oop however at one point in the second half she said "why are they leaving him open?"  Patrick seemed surprised...a lot.  There were a couple of times it looked like he waited to shoot because he was sure someone would come flying in.  When no one did, he sort of shrugged his shoulders and let it fly.

Now to be clear, I'm not saying Patrick's great game was due to defensense malfeasance.  He was awesome and took advantage of his opportunities and I am so glad he has "Oral Roberts" on the front of his jersey.

Mwamba Forever!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

The NDSU presser popped up as the next video in my feed after the ORU presser.  I don't mean to kick a man when he's down but I bristled when Skunberg kept repeating "and a non-shooter is making shots."  I assume he is referring to Mwamba and I think that is a mischaracterization.  For the year, Patrick shot .493 from the field and .391 from behind the arc.  Last night he shot .500 from the field and .400 from 3.  Dude shot right at his season average.  They may not think of him as a shooter.  They certainly guarded him as if he's not a shooter.  Unfortunately for them, the dude can shoot and that was big miscalculation on their part. 

My wife couldn't give two flips about basketball and wouldn't know a give and go from an alley oop however at one point in the second half she said "why are they leaving him open?"  Patrick seemed surprised...a lot.  There were a couple of times it looked like he waited to shoot because he was sure someone would come flying in.  When no one did, he sort of shrugged his shoulders and let it fly.

Now to be clear, I'm not saying Patrick's great game was due to defensense malfeasance.  He was awesome and took advantage of his opportunities and I am so glad he has "Oral Roberts" on the front of his jersey.

Mwamba Forever!!!!

This. Just because the team is full of scorers doesn’t mean Mwamba can’t shoot. This squad is so versatile. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

This. Just because the team is full of scorers doesn’t mean Mwamba can’t shoot. This squad is so versatile. 

Yep. ORU has a lot of options. One of the best parts of the game last night was Max didn't press at all and just took what NDSU was giving him and hitting his open teammates. If Carlos hits a couple of the open 3s from the corner no telling how many assists he ends up with. 

About 5 or 6 minutes left in the game i was ready for all the starters to come out!:) Especially Max with that knee. 

Has a week to rest and get ready!:)  

There will a lot of buzz about the program in the next week and wonder just how many times the sweet 16 run will be brought up!:) 

1rst time i got to watch a full game all season. That is a very talented team and a joy to watch!:) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Whenever Mwamba was open throughout the season, he thought about the three. If someone rushed to cover him, he often didn't take it. Yesterday though, NDSU left him open enough for him to take the threes. Patrick's scoring is the fault of his skill and the coverage that NDSU elected to use against ORU. That is how this game works.

TheEagleman was so worked up last night I treated myself to a new ORU jacket at 20% off on the university website.....can't wait until it arrives hopefully over the weekend so i can wear it around during March Madness.....my phone has been blowing up with texts from people I hardly ever hear from...this is perhaps the best day of the past 2 years.....😎

• Like 2

On the way to the game, I was saying I would love nothing more than to blow them out, so I could enjoy the game, instead of feeling like I was in the trenches, with the Eagles needing me to be yelling my head off the whole game. That was a VERY fun game to watch.

These guys aren't satisfied with all the success they have had. They want more, and I love it! I LOVE this team. It's the stuff I only dreamed of during my long career as a fan. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

The bench has played such an important role on this team I feel it’s a shame they didn’t somehow include them in the promo picture, “We’re back!” And yes, I would’ve included #20.

Looking at the schedule there have been 8 games were ORU won by 20 plus (not counting non D1 match ups) and in those blowouts, the Eagles just looked like a team we have not seen since the 70s.  When they get on a roll, such as they did last night, then they are a top 25 team.

Last night the defense was good and the 3s were falling early.  When ORU does that they are an elite team!

• Like 1