Coaching Carousel 2023

Old Titan

23 minutes ago, SonofaLegend said:

😬I say let's get them through high school before making any location changes 😁

I was thinking through college and out the door and married. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Have heard that his oldest daughter is attending Oklahoma State this Fall….

That makes sense. She was a Senior at a local private school in Tulsa this year. I only know that because the homeschool team I coach played them on their Senior Night and she was recognized. It was a little intimidating coaching, knowing Coach Mills was in the stands! 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Have heard that his oldest daughter is attending Oklahoma State this Fall….

Need to introduce her and Connor Dow . . . 

• Haha 1

OSU's Mike Boynton (Brooklyn native) dream job.  If Rick "Love In An Italian Restaurant" Pitino does not pass inspection, Boynton might pay THEM for five years instead of the other way around.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

I was thinking through college and out the door and married. 

And then grandkids. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OKC Eagle said:

And then grandkids. 

Paul Mills did mention on one of the linked shows that I found on here that Scott Drew staying at Baylor for 20 years is quite long. There might be a limit on what we can reasonably expect. 😊

4 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

I could be wrong, but it doesn’t seem like Wichita State is the type of job Mills would be interested in. I’m thinking if Texas were to somehow convince Kelvin Sampson to leave Houston, then maybe he would be interested in that job.

Really, none of the jobs that are open now seem like great fits for him. ORU just seems to fit him perfectly. Again, I have no clue, that’s just my opinion. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

I could be wrong, but it doesn’t seem like Wichita State is the type of job Mills would be interested in. I’m thinking if Texas were to somehow convince Kelvin Sampson to leave Houston, then maybe he would be interested in that job.

Gotta wonder how much Kelvin Sampson would want to leave Houston, with the Cougars going big time in the Big XII next year.  

He's 67 years old, he's making over $3 million a year, and he's got the No. 1-ranked team in the country.  Not a bad gig!

The guy Wichita State should go after is his son, Kellen, an assistant at Houston.  He's probably going to land a head coaching job this spring at his choice of several schools.

16 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

He's 67 years old, he's making over $3 million a year, and he's got the No. 1-ranked team in the country.  Not a bad gig!

I agree. It’s just something I saw or heard somewhere. I don’t even remember where. Houston is also about to be in the Big 12, so Texas won’t even be in a better conference. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

I agree. It’s just something I saw or heard somewhere. I don’t even remember where. Houston is also about to be in the Big 12, so Texas won’t even be in a better conference. 

Texas is one of those tone deaf schools who assumes they can offer anyone they want a ton of money, and they will naturally come because, after all, we're Texas.

Without ever considering the notion that their target is thinking, "That's right - you're Texas.  No thanks."

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:42 PM, Idig32 said:

Really, none of the jobs that are open now seem like great fits for him. ORU just seems to fit him perfectly. Again, I have no clue, that’s just my opinion. 

I think Coach Mills reaffirmed he likes where he is at this morning at the Bracketology breakfast. A questions was posed about the current landscape of NIL and how ORU can compete. His answer was along the lines how those kids that are in it for NIL money are harder to coach, and he just wants to be able to coach kids. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:42 PM, Idig32 said:

I don't think that is the type of jump Mills should take. Lot different than when Sutton was offered the job. I believe a Big 12 type of job is what would make a difference. 

At ORU he is getting another pretty substantial raise and has brand new facilities to show off in April for all the portal type of kids coming in for visits!:) Lots of playing time available for next year. 

On 3/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, katesmith1304 said:

Oats is doing a lot of backtracking today on that statement!  He is a really high-strung type of guy. 

I think Ole Miss will fire their coach after season and hire Chris Beard. 

VidMateappMomixVidMate.me

I believe Ole Miss is announcing today the hire of Beard. 

On 3/11/2023 at 11:15 PM, Old Titan said:

Texas is one of those tone deaf schools who assumes they can offer anyone they want a ton of money, and they will naturally come because, after all, we're Texas.

Without ever considering the notion that their target is thinking, "That's right - you're Texas.  No thanks."

If Terry makes the sweet sixteen i believe they keep him. Not sure if the right decision or not but hard not to give him the job after winning the Big 12 championship and win a couple of games in the tourney.

Like ORU though they are losing a ton of talent after this season. Unlike ORU if they have a losing record next year there will be people looking to fire him after one season!:)