Coaching Carousel 2023

Old Titan

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

Do you think Richmond will ever leave NDSU?  He just looks like a guy that's beaten down most of the time.  Maybe that's just his demeanor.

Yea.. He basically looked like he knew a blowout was coming and nothing he could do about it. 

7 hours ago, darrenj said:

Yea.. He basically looked like he knew a blowout was coming and nothing he could do about it. 

You noticed that too??  He and his whole staff looked like something was going down before the game even started. 

Wondering if guys broke curfew, or Grant Nelson already said he was leaving, or something - they simply weren't ready to play.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

You noticed that too??  He and his whole staff looked like something was going down before the game even started. 

Wondering if guys broke curfew, or Grant Nelson already said he was leaving, or something - they simply weren't ready to play.

I thought the same thing. Richmond barely coached during the game.

3 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

I thought the same thing. Richmond barely coached during the game.

But he called that smart time out at around the seven minute mark after they hit a three (to cut the lead to 31). 😆

But Alma Mater didn't matter to Bill Self, and hope goes for the same with coach Mills

Did TheEagleman hear that COREY WILLIAMS is the TTU interim coach??....that name sounds familiar.....😉

• Like 1

Is it right for us to question Paul's commitment to ORU when he has affirmed it several times? I know that this sounds like typical Christianese and maybe it is, but from my perspective, I think we should believe the man that he genuinely likes the fit here and is committed to the vision. There are in fact people in this world whose number one (two or three) motivation in life is not money. I think Paul Mills is one of those people. I respect him and refuse to fret about him perhaps being enticed by this program or that. For a good coach, there will always be opportunities to move. He is not missing a golden opportunity by ignoring this one. He is focussing on reaching a goal at ORU, a goal that has a time parameter associated with it (contract). Am I being too pie-in-the-sky here?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ron said:

Is it right for us to question Paul's commitment to ORU when he has affirmed it several times? I know that this sounds like typical Christianese and maybe it is, but from my perspective, I think we should believe the man that he genuinely likes the fit here and is committed to the vision. There are in fact people in this world whose number one (two or three) motivation in life is not money. I think Paul Mills is one of those people. I respect him and refuse to fret about him perhaps being enticed by this program or that. For a good coach, there will always be opportunities to move. He is not missing a golden opportunity by ignoring this one. He is focussing on reaching a goal at ORU, a goal that has a time parameter associated with it (contract). Am I being too pie-in-the-sky here?

At the end of the day, it's his decision to make. And based on his six years at ORU thus far, there are zero reasons to question his motives or integrity (I'm not suggesting that this is taking place). I would say nearly all on this board and those surroundnig the team really hope he stays, and continues to build the program we are all so paaionate about. But ultimately, if he moves on, it's because 1) he hears from the Lord and makes the best decision for his family and his future, and 2) he's worked hard and has earned an opportunity to coach at another level.  Personally, I'm with you @ron - I HOPE (and believe) that he will stay. But if he chooses not to, we should be grateful for what he accomplished in his time at ORU!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We all want him to stay. Hopefully the success in the tournament next week will further confirm that he can indeed win at the highest level as a Golden Eagle. It takes steps to build a Castle, just very few continue all the way to completion. Paul could be that guy that actually wants to go all the way.

• Upvote 1

Well, if Coach Mills does decide to leave..if I were Tim Johnson I would already have Tom Crean on speed dial.  Image result for Tom Crean

1 minute ago, Texasgrip said:

At the end of the day, it's his decision to make. And based on his six years at ORU thus far, there are zero reasons to question his motives or integrity (I'm not suggesting that this is taking place). I would say nearly all on this board and those surroundnig the team really hope he stays, and continues to build the program we are all so paaionate about. But ultimately, if he moves on, it's because 1) he hears from the Lord and makes the best decision for his family and his future, and 2) he's worked hard and has earned an opportunity to coach at another level.  Personally, I'm with you @ron - I HOPE (and believe) that he will stay. But if he chooses not to, we should be grateful for what he accomplished in his time at ORU!

Thanks for this well-worded response! 💯 I've got a long day ahead of me, but I am already out of likes, otherwise I would have surely given you one. I am not trying to guilt Paul into staying by any stretch of the imagination. If he leaves after this season, he has arguably already done more for the ORU basketball program and by extension, ORU, than any other previous coach. On the other hand, for a man that I tremendously respect for the way he uses his words, that respect would seem to entail believing what he says and has said. Whatever decision he makes, he has my respect and thanks. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, ron said:

I don't think anyone is questioning his commitment to ORU 

• Upvote 2

TheEagleman loves Coach Mills and would prefer him to stay....and I would assume he will.....but if some larger Texas or Midwest schools start calling he will surely have to listen....he will do what is best for his family and do what the Lord leads him to do.....Mills clearly a man of honor as we  have  seen over the past 6 yrs.....:hc_mills:

I can't believe we are even talking about a coach staying at ORU long-term, if he's being offered MILLIONS OF DOLLARS A YEAR to move on, as a sign one way or the other of loyalty.

That's life-changing money for his family, with presumably more resources where he lands, and not a one of us wouldn't do the same if the option seemed at all plausible.

If Paul Mills accepts one of these opportunities, he deserves nothing less than a heart-felt "Thank you!" for what he has accomplished in 6 years at ORU.

TrueBlue82 was spot-on in an earlier post on this topic:  this is a nice problem to have, it's indicative of program success, and it's going to happen every year ORU does well, with whatever coach is at the helm.

• Upvote 5