Coaching Carousel 2023

Old Titan

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I think what might be appealing to a big-time AD when he looks at Paul Mills' resume is that he has documented success as BOTH an overnight sensation as an underdog in NCAA play (2020-21) AND as a pre-season favorite with a target on his back over the long grind of an entire season (2022-23).

That's a VERY rare combination to find in a low-to-mid-major coach who would be VERY affordable.  Usually it's just the former before they are snatched up by the big boys.

That being said, I'm still having trouble imagining Coach Mills making the rounds (or even agreeing to) the cocktail circuit of big-time fundraising and glad-handing at most larger schools.

ORU has had challenges having him make appearances for friendly radio interviews and low-key booster dinners - would a multi-million dollar contract at a big state school suddenly turn him into Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman??

Untitled 4.jpeg

Yes sir. It is a lot different at schools like OU or K st type. Lots of shaking hands and dinners with people you really don't want to have dinner with!:) Now an extra $2 to $3 million a year and he may become really outgoing!:)

Nope....Mills is more like FlounderImage result for Animal House Flounder   = Image result for Paul Mills Oral Roberts coach

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I frankly can't even imagine $1 million annually at a place like ORU, but maybe it's possible? 

Big problem is the finite universe of donors and sponsors from which to tap that kind of money, and no TV contract dollars either. 

Can't even compete financially in the employment arena with mid-major schools from multi-bid leagues like Wichita State or SMU, much less the P5 football schools.

Just didn't know if ORU had a big booster that may pitch in to get him close to that? That would be close to what Wichita st is paying their guy i think. 

Oh yeah....ORU has big boosters....with $$$....it's just not TheEagleman, Old Titan or ORUTerry....Otis maybe....he might have some Texas Oil money.....Image result for JR Ewing

6 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Oh yeah....ORU has big boosters....with $$$....it's just not TheEagleman, Old Titan or ORUTerry....

Are you drunk???

• Haha 1

When you talk about facilities and with the opening of the new Mike Carter Center, as far as basketball is concerned, we really do not take that much of a back seat to the Big Boys.  With the upgrades to Mabee our facilities are not that bad and would be on course with the upper level of mid majors.  Next, our support of the MBB program is not bad for a mid-major either.  If I was a coach I would look at not only the salary a big school was willing to pay me but also look at the support/facilities/budget and vision that my current school has for its program.  We fly our team to games and I would like to think our vision is to try and be an elite mid major program.  I also think that a salary in the $1 mm range with a good boost for my staff as well would make me take a long look at not leaving ORU.  My idea would be a long-term contract with a salary reopener if my teams make the Big Dance on a regular basis which I do not think is an impossibility at this point.  I would also point to an increase in attendance as a good sign the program is headed in the right direction.  So in the end I do not think that paying Coach $1,000,000 is out the question.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

When you talk about facilities and with the opening of the new Mike Carter Center, as far as basketball is concerned, we really do not take that much of a back seat to the Big Boys.  With the upgrades to Mabee our facilities are not that bad and would be on course with the upper level of mid majors.  Next, our support of the MBB program is not bad for a mid-major either.  If I was a coach I would look at not only the salary a big school was willing to pay me but also look at the support/facilities/budget and vision that my current school has for its program.  We fly our team to games and I would like to think our vision is to try and be an elite mid major program.  I also think that a salary in the $1 mm range with a good boost for my staff as well would make me take a long look at not leaving ORU.  My idea would be a long-term contract with a salary reopener if my teams make the Big Dance on a regular basis which I do not think is an impossibility at this point.  I would also point to an increase in attendance as a good sign the program is headed in the right direction.  So in the end I do not think that pay Coach $1,000,000 is out the question.  

ORU makes the tournament and plays well or wins a game they can find the $$ somewhere for that type of salary but i would think that is really stretching it. Make the tourney on a regular basis and with the extra payout that makes it easier.  IF they make the tournament this year i would think his stock would never be higher than it will be in March. Depends on what type of offers does he get? Does he want to go to a rebuilding type of job with high expectations.? Some of the big schools you aren't getting 2 or 3 years of grace. 

Then again could be like the Tulsa job right now.:) Can you imagine being an AD and going to boosters and asking for $$ or NIL deals? What may save them is Cincinnati and Houston going to the Big 12 next season. They should have it much easier. 

57 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Oh yeah....ORU has big boosters....with $$$....it's just not TheEagleman, Old Titan or ORUTerry....Otis maybe....he might have some Texas Oil money.....Image result for JR Ewing

Not but maybe @tmh8286

Yeah it's TMH8286 because he donates $8286 each week to the ORU Athletic program and he is very friendly with this guy......Image result for Mark Cuban

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Yeah it's TMH8286 because he donates $8286 each week to the ORU Athletic program and he is very friendly with this guy......Image result for Mark Cuban

Well, honestly, I try not to make a big deal of it, but me and Markie - I like to call him Markie - are like 🤞

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

@darrenj was all over this one early.

Always nice to see when the national pundits finally get around to reading the ORU Sports forum to find out the REAL answers! 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Do you think Richmond will ever leave NDSU?  He just looks like a guy that's beaten down most of the time.  Maybe that's just his demeanor.

56 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Do you think Richmond will ever leave NDSU?  He just looks like a guy that's beaten down most of the time.  Maybe that's just his demeanor.

Losing two years in a row in the finals is a downer in itself. Coupled with knowing you are losing Nelson, thats tough.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

@darrenj was all over this one early.

Always nice to see when the national pundits finally get around to reading the ORU Sports forum to find out the REAL answers! 🤣

I think it is pretty funny they are talking about doing their due diligence on him. They have been doing it for like 3 weeks which is why they fired their coach so quickly. Once those charges were dropped he knew he was getting a head coaching job somewhere. 

What will be interesting is if his fiancée shows up with him.