Coaching Carousel 2023

Old Titan

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

I was NOT suggesting Mike Anderson as a candidate for ORU; I was augmenting my previous post re: D1 coaches from ORU or Tulsa the past 40 years or so.

Got it. Thanks.

16 hours ago, Idig32 said:

Sadly, I think we’re probably another hire or two away from getting a guy that stays a long time, at least if the program continues its upward trajectory. However, if the next coach can build on what Coach Mills has done, then we’ll be in a great spot when we’re looking for the next coach in 4 years or so. Money could be better, fan support could be better, and we might actually start becoming more of a destination and less of a stepping stone. That said, I think ORU is the best mid-major job opening right now, and if they don’t want to hire an in-house guy they’ll have a long list of great candidates. 

Not trying to start a fight but you had a guy who stayed 18 years, brought the program to heights it’s hadn’t seen in nearly 40 years, turned down numerous higher profile jobs and then you couldn’t wait to get rid of him.

Loyalty is a two-way street. And most of the time it’s empty and dark.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Former SID said:

Not trying to start a fight but you had a guy who stayed 18 years, brought the program to heights it’s hadn’t seen in nearly 40 years, turned down numerous higher profile jobs and then you couldn’t wait to get rid of him.

Loyalty is a two-way street. And most of the time it’s empty and dark.

...couldn't wait to get rid of him based on back-to-back sub-par seasons.

It happens to the best of them in some cases; it's just gets to where it's time for a change:  Pat Jones at OSU, Jim Boeheim at Syracuse, Nolan Richardson at Arkansas, Bobby Bowden at Florida State, Frank Haith everywhere he's ever coached, etc. 😉

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

1/2-point:  he played his freshman year at ORU before transferring to Alabama for three seasons. 

For all intents and purposes, NOT an "ORU guy".

And I forgot Mike Anderson from TU in the early '80's; he coached at Alabama-Birmingham, Missouri, Arkansas, and most recently fired at St. John's

Mark Gottfreid is a perennial candidate for replacement coach at ORU in discussions amongst a group of friends of mine. Don't know what we'd talk about if he ever actually got the job!!

Mark Gottfried got himself in trouble at Cal State - Northridge (his next job after being dismissed at NCSU).  I don't know that Mark is currently hirable until he gets his violations with these schools dealt with.

22 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Mark Gottfreid is a perennial candidate for replacement coach at ORU in discussions amongst a group of friends of mine. Don't know what we'd talk about if he ever actually got the job!!

N-E-V-E-R.

27 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Is Gregg Marshall available? 😉

Don't park in his space!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Pass on a big named former player. See Patrick Ewing, Clyde Drexler, Isaiah Thomas, Chris Mullin, et al. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Stackhouse kind of showed some promise towards the end of this season and I think Damon Stoudamire did well at Pacific and was a good choice for Georgia Tech (I probably would have gone with Ron Hunter there).

I agree though. Most of the time you win the press conference but not much afterward.

Penny (Anferne) Hardway is considered one of the hottest coaches in America and brought the Memphis program back into contention. Chris Mullin only coached for four years because his brother died, and brought St. Johns to the NCAA and tied for the best record in 20 years with a 21-13 record during the 2018 season. 

X's and O's  are highly overrated at the D1 level. The bottom line for success at ORU is a coach that can recruit. The X's and O's come in practice from mainly the assistant coaches. Yes, you can be out-coached in a game, but a highly talented team with no coach will WIN most games against an inferior opponent with a superior coach. My 2 cents. 

• Like 2

Saw the N. Tx coach was finally announced as coach at TX. Tech. I bet they have been rooting for N.TX to lose in NIT for 2 weeks!:) They just kept winning! Great to make the semis. 

Be interesting to see their next hire.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing I have to say about ol' Peanut - he sure knows how to land on his feet!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2