Coaching Carousel 2023

Old Titan

Darren, that wasn't meant to be a slam to the community by any means! At the same time, I don't want to trigger anyone or push anyone's buttons. I was just making an observation. If Paul says that we can go by his past in order to evaluate his present (as I remember from another time when this came up), I took it to mean that he is in it for the long haul. He wants to take this program to higher heights than it has been to in the past. Is he talking Gonzaga heights? That I don't know. I just think we should listen to the words that he says and take him at face value.

• Upvote 1

Just now, darrenj said:

I don't think anyone is questioning his commitment to ORU 

Yea.. Hit the wrong button and can't edit.:) It is not his commitment but i doubt his stock will ever be higher than this year. 

There is a figure that ORU can pay him.( I would assume) and he may get an offer of 3 to 4 times that amount. 

Senior laden team with the best player in the conference in Max and best season they have ever had. I think he loses 5 of top 7 ?  What happens if next season with brand new team and finish in 3rd or 4th place? 

His agent is doing his due diligence i would think and letting Coach Mills concentrate on the tournament. His name is going to get mentioned a lot the next couple of weeks. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

If Paul Mills accepts one of these opportunities, he deserves nothing less than a heart-felt "Thank you!" for what he has accomplished in 6 years at ORU.

He definitely will have left the program stronger than when he found IF that were to happen!

Mills is such a great fit for the program and we all hope he sticks around and continues to build but @Old Titan is right we should be grateful for how Mills has elevated the standard at ORU either way.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Adams out at Tech

Adams was such a terrible hire for them!! Goodness. Way in over his head. I think McCasland might be their guy. Not sure why Buzz would leave A&M for Tech as he will be getting a raise in 1 month anyway at A&M. 

Lot of names are being thrown out there as the agents are doing their job and getting their clients names mentioned. 

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I can't believe we are even talking about a coach staying at ORU long-term, if he's being offered MILLIONS OF DOLLARS A YEAR to move on, as a sign one way or the other of loyalty.

That's life-changing money for his family, with presumably more resources where he lands, and not a one of us wouldn't do the same if the option seemed at all plausible.

If Paul Mills accepts one of these opportunities, he deserves nothing less than a heart-felt "Thank you!" for what he has accomplished in 6 years at ORU.

TrueBlue82 was spot-on in an earlier post on this topic:  this is a nice problem to have, it's indicative of program success, and it's going to happen every year ORU does well, with whatever coach is at the helm.

Old Titan, I realize that I am talking to a board whose contributors absolutely love ORU sports and ORU. What I am saying is that life isn't just about money. There are higher goals than those motivated by money. I do believe that there are people that are on this board that, in spite of the love for sports, recognize that sports isn't the first consideration of importance in life. There is a place that each of us has in the plan of God. We are invited into working with Him to see that plan happen. I enjoy sports and particularly ORU sports for entertainment because of my history of attachment to this school. I am, however, far more excited about the ramifications that ORU basketball success can have for the Kingdom of God. I can't even begin to create a comprehensive list of what those ramifications are, but they are many. I believe that this is what Oral originally foresaw, and that is what I am tying into. You can't put a money figure onto the kind of success that I am talking about right now. I believe that this is the motivation behind the man Paul Mills. If I am wrong, so be it. That is just the way the situation and the personnel in this story strike me.

11 minutes ago, ron said:

Darren, that wasn't meant to be a slam to the community by any means! At the same time, I don't want to trigger anyone or push anyone's buttons. I was just making an observation. If Paul says that we can go by his past in order to evaluate his present (as I remember from another time when this came up), I took it to mean that he is in it for the long haul. He wants to take this program to higher heights than it has been to in the past. Is he talking Gonzaga heights? That I don't know. I just think we should listen to the words that he says and take him at face value.

Sorry Ron! I couldn't' edit previous post. 🙂 IF he leaves, he will have left the program in great shape with new facilities and great momentum. Just hard to pass life changing $$. Of course, you look at Moser at OU who came from small school who hates it there and desperately wants out after just 2 years. You just never know. 

ORU will give him another raise i am sure and has built the new facility but can only do so much. IF he does leave ORU will get some very good candidates thanks in large part to all the improvements. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

He definitely will have left the program stronger than when he found IF that were to happen!

Mills is such a great fit for the program and we all hope he sticks around and continues to build but @Old Titan is right we should be grateful for how Mills has elevated the standard at ORU either way.

Exactly, and we also have to remember he is a basketball coach... he's a competitor!! He wants to win and to be the best. I have no doubt he wants to compete against the best and potentially win a National Championship like Drew & Self. Don't let the soft-spoken gentleman fool you, coach is a winner and he may want to win at a higher level, doesn't mean he doesn't like it at ORU or believe in the school's mission, he just may have other goals he wants to achieve.

• Upvote 2

What if a donor stepped up and helped get Mill's salary to $1.2 annually? Do you think he would stay? 

1 minute ago, darrenj said:

Sorry Ron! I couldn't' edit previous post. 🙂 IF he leaves, he will have left the program in great shape with new facilities and great momentum. Just hard to pass life changing $$. Of course, you look at Moser at OU who came from small school who hates it there and desperately wants out after just 2 years. You just never know. 

ORU will give him another raise i am sure and has built the new facility but can only do so much. IF he does leave ORU will get some very good candidates thanks in large part to all the improvements. 

Darren, I think this is potentially an important conversation. You are encouraging me to be more specific with my wording, and I thank you for it. For the record, Paul Mills has already done more for the program than we could have reasonably expected! As you and others have pointed out, where we are with the ORU program right now is an amazing place! I am totally thankful for that! Not to be thankful right now would be ridiculous! At the same time, Oral's vision was one of Gonzaga-like success. Who am I to say that something like that is not possible? If someone comes to ORU that has a vision to work towards achieving that goal here, I will try whatever I can to support that vision. Why? Because it is about more than just sports (and I love sports)! Paul Mills might be the man that can help to realize that vision. Until God moves him on, I want to affirm his choice to invest whatever portion of his life into God's kingdom through his work here at ORU. That choice is more important than money.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 4:03 PM, Old Titan said:

I think what might be appealing to a big-time AD when he looks at Paul Mills' resume is that he has documented success as BOTH an overnight sensation as an underdog in NCAA play (2020-21) AND as a pre-season favorite with a target on his back over the long grind of an entire season (2022-23).

That's a VERY rare combination to find in a low-to-mid-major coach who would be VERY affordable.  Usually it's just the former before they are snatched up by the big boys.

That being said, I'm still having trouble visualizing Coach Mills making the rounds (or even agreeing to) the cocktail circuit of big-time fundraising and glad-handing at most larger schools.

ORU has had challenges having him make appearances for friendly radio interviews and low-key booster dinners - would a multi-million dollar contract at a big state school suddenly turn him into Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman??

Untitled 4.jpeg

Otis has met Mr. Stratton by the way.

6 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Otis has met Mr. Stratton by the way.

Was he "damn glad to meet you"?

23 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

What if a donor stepped up and helped get Mill's salary to $1.2 annually? Do you think he would stay? 

I would think that is really stretching it for ORU but maybe so. The deal is jobs like OU or Tech that will be 5 years at $3 million per year. 

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

Was he "damn glad to meet you"?

He enjoyed having my band play at his little soiree although he and his friends did create a stir during our gig at The Dexter Lake Club. 

• Haha 1

Just now, darrenj said:

I would think that is really stretching it for ORU but maybe so. The deal is jobs like OU or Tech that will be 5 years at $3 million per year. 

That may be stretching for ORU in the past, but not with where we're going. Mark Few reportedly makes $1.8 million annually at Gonzaga. 

6 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

He enjoyed having my band play at his little soiree although he and his friends did create a stir during our gig at The Dexter Lake Club. 

Sorry, Otis - took me a minute... 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Old Titan said:

Sorry, Otis - took me a minute... 🤣

I changed back my avatar before I posted that so my character change is late breaking news.

10 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

That may be stretching for ORU in the past, but not with where we're going. Mark Few reportedly makes $1.8 million annually at Gonzaga. 

24. Mark Few, Gonzaga

Salary $3,191,368 | Buyout: N/A

That $3.2mil number was from 2020, so I'm sure it's considerably higher now. I believe the $1.8mil number for Mark Few is base salary and he has significant incentive bonuses that are very attainable, x$ for winning the conf., x$ for NCAA bid, 2x$ for sweet 16, 3x$ for final 4, etc.

• Upvote 1