South Dakota at ORU

theeagleman5

Just now, jmg1984 said:

Ditto guy needs more minutes!

Am I the only one seeing the irony in a multi-repeating post leading off with "ditto"?

will ferrell snl GIF

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Am I the only one seeing the irony in a multi-repeating post leading off with "ditto"?

will ferrell snl GIF

😄😄😄😄Ooops!!!

17 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

will ferrell snl GIF

Pete and Repete were sittin on a fence. Pete fell off. Who was left?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Pete and Repete were sittin on a fence. Pete fell off. Who was left?

That was exactly what I was thinking of when I read JMG's posts.  🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Good pic of the student turnout. They filled up the normal section and also filled up the section above the band and it also looked like they spilled over into the section above the media tables. I can remember when students were doing good to have a few rows of seats filled, now it’s multiple sections. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

Good pic of the student turnout. They filled up the normal section and also filled up the section above the band and it also looked like they spilled over into the section above the media tables. I can remember when students were doing good to have a few rows of seats filled, now it’s multiple sections. 

Winning helps. 

• Upvote 5

25 minutes ago, ORUalum11 said:

Winning helps. 

Totally agree.

But, as I've stated before, I also think that there's been a major mindset change among students on campus.  With the significant name recognition and enrollment surge that accompanied the Sweet Sixteen run, the last two incoming classes (freshman and sophomores) came to campus with the understanding that they were attending a basketball school.  And, one of the reasons that they chose ORU was because they enjoy basketball, and thought that attending games would be an exciting part of college life.  Heading to the Mabee Center is now "the thing" to do, for at least the younger segment of the student population. 

If ORU makes another run this season... I can only imagine what the student section will look like next year.👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This is great to see for an old war horse like TheEagleman who had pretty much given up hoping to see the ORU Students packing the Mabee Center like back in the old days.....when Mabee first opened in 1972 and for my four years in Tulsa the students would basically pack four full sections behind the basket and would sometimes spill over into the blue seats above for big Saturday Night games....as Grip would say....it was loud and rockin'.....and it definitely had some effect on the players and the game......very few contests would draw under 8000 attendence back then.....so what we have seen this month has been astonishing and warms the heart of this old ORU Alum......:oru:

One of the big reasons TheEagleman came to all the way from Phila to Tulsa and ORU was because of basketball....yes I wanted to go to school with other christians and was impressed by the new campus buildings....and yeah i wanted new experiences outside of my hometown of Philly and my parents....but when I visited 7777 So. Lewis for the first time in Nov. 1971 it was a blue/white basketball game at the old HRC that got me going and the prospect of a new 10,500 seat Mabee Center that was just going up at the corner of 81st and Lewis.....i was hooked....and here we are over 50 years later and TheEagleman is STILL hooked....this is a beautiful revival that is going on at the ORU campus and I love it so!!!...:tb-white:

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Totally agree.

But, as I've stated before, I also think that there's been a major mindset change among students on campus.  With the significant name recognition and enrollment surge that accompanied the Sweet Sixteen run, the last two incoming classes (freshman and sophomores) came to campus with the understanding that they were attending a basketball school.  And, one of the reasons that they chose ORU was because they enjoy basketball, and thought that attending games would be an exciting part of college life.  Heading to the Mabee Center is now "the thing" to do, for at least the younger segment of the student population. 

If ORU makes another run this season... I can only imagine what the student section will look like next year.👍

I also feel like the Mabee watch parties, that were shown on national TV after our victories, must have been the most fun, the students had all year on campus. Fear of missing out is a powerful driver! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

This is great to see for an old war horse like TheEagleman who had pretty much given up hoping to see the ORU Students packing the Mabee Center like back in the old days.....when Mabee first opened in 1972 and for my four years in Tulsa the students would basically pack four full sections behind the basket and would sometimes spill over into the blue seats above for big Saturday Night games....as Grip would say....it was loud and rockin'.....and it definitely had some effect on the players and the game......very few contests would draw under 8000 attendence back then.....so what we have seen this month has been astonishing and warms the heart of this old ORU Alum......:oru:

Love this Eagleman! I'm a few years your junior, but a grew up running around the Mabee Center as a kid (70s/80s) and then attending myself (late 80s early 90s). As dad was a professor there, we had season tickets from the mid-70s on - Section K Row 9.

Those glory years left an impression on me as well: I fondly remember going down to the court for team intros when the crowd woud make a Titan Train Tunnel for the team to run onto the court before introductions. The crowd would chant: "Hey coach Trickey (Hale, Kelly, Hayes, Acres), open the door - let those Titans out on the floor!" I was ecstatic getting my hand slapped from Cat Johnson (he was closer to my kid height 🤣) as well as the Acres brothers and others throughout the years - who took time to high-five even us kids. And four packed sections of students rockin loud? Crazy! T-I-T-A-N-S TITANS 👏🏻👏🏻 switch! I have enjoyed seeing some of that energy return as well! 💪🏻

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Thank you for sharing, Grip....these are just wonderful stories from the past about how ORU basketball is in our blood and part of our lives....I never missed a Titans game from 1972-76 unless I was home for Christmas break....and now thankful for the internet and being able to reconnect with these now Golden Eagles over the past 20 years....it just gives TheEagleman a lot of joy especially being able to remember old times....I need to get back there to 7777 So. Lewis and hope to do that soon.....love ORU and especially ORU basketball and baseball.....❤️:tb-blue:❤️

• Like 3

N

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

One of the big reasons TheEagleman came to all the way from Phila to Tulsa and ORU was because of basketball....yes I wanted to go to school with other christians and was impressed by the new campus buildings....and yeah i wanted new experiences outside of my hometown of Philly and my parents....but when I visited 7777 So. Lewis for the first time in Nov. 1971 it was a blue/white basketball game at the old HRC that got me going and the prospect of a new 10,500 seat Mabee Center that was just going up at the corner of 81st and Lewis.....i was hooked....and here we are over 50 years later and TheEagleman is STILL hooked....this is a beautiful revival that is going on at the ORU campus and I love it so!!!...:tb-white:

No doubt, D1 basketball and baseball played a HUGE part in drawing me to ORU. I don't think I missed a home game my whole time there from 75/76 until 79/80. I was a music major but loved sports as much...or more...than music. Still do. I agree with Eagleman that it is "a beautiful revival that is going on at the ORU campus." I love watching the games and participating with this community of fans on this board. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Idig32 said:

I got to Mabee Center at 5:40 and there were already students lining up to get in. (Doors open at 6.) Bunches of them arrived well before 6:30. I know the free T-shirts are a nice incentive, but I don't think that was the only reason they came. How nice was it of Coach Mills to post that message to them!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I got to Mabee Center at 5:40 and there were already students lining up to get in. (Doors open at 6.) Bunches of them arrived well before 6:30. I know the free T-shirts are a nice incentive, but I don't think that was the only reason they came. How nice was it of Coach Mills to post that message to them!

Those T-shirts were awesome! My son is a dual enrollment student (high schooler + ORU) and wished we would have arrived early enought to get one.

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

I need to get back there to 7777 So. Lewis and hope to do that soon.....love ORU and especially ORU basketball and baseball.....❤️:tb-blue:❤️

It won't get any better than this:

Feb 16 - 7pm - Basketball vs North Dakota

Feb 17 - 3pm - Baseball vs Northern Illinois

Feb 18 - 2pm - Baseball vs Northern Illinois

Feb 18 - 5pm - Baseball vs Northern Illinois (hope for run rule)

Feb 18 - 7pm - Basketball vs North Dakota State

Feb 19 - 12pm - Baseball vs Northern Illinois

• Upvote 5