Coach Mills

dave

We had a great time and may even be coming back with the whole fam damily in a couple of weeks!   Trying to find the right VRBO...

OT:  As far as I can tell we're "friends" on Facebook, so if you can't see my post, it means you've blocked or unfriended me and that ain't cool, brah!  🤔🤣

Ouch!

Rob

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 9:42 AM, Old Titan said:

👀 👀 👀

And how, exactly, does he know that there haven't been "more bigger suiters?"  If Coach Mills is happy, and content with the recent contract extension, he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that gets a Baylor graduate assistant to "leak" to some guy with a blog or a Twitter account that "fill in the blank" has Coach Mills on their short list.  

1 hour ago, ORob1 said:

We had a great time and may even be coming back with the whole fam damily in a couple of weeks!   Trying to find the right VRBO...

OT:  As far as I can tell we're "friends" on Facebook, so if you can't see my post, it means you've blocked or unfriended me and that ain't cool, brah!  🤔🤣

Ouch!

Rob

LOL - I found it. 

Mark Zuckerberg is apparently filtering your posts from my timeline...

Sorry Mark Zuckerberg GIF

• Haha 2

Do you think this guy :hc_mills:will some day catch this guy Image result for Scott Sutton ORU in all time ORU wins????? :oru:

38 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Do you think this guy :hc_mills:will some day catch this guy Image result for Scott Sutton ORU in all time ORU wins????? :oru:

Total wins  or just Division 1 wins?  🤣

It would be quite a challenge because even if Coach Mills wins on average 20 games per season then it would take him 12 more years to catch Coach Sutton.  Which is a high expectation because over 12 years usually even good coaches have an off season.  So, realistically it would probaly take 15 years to catch Coach Sutton. 

Whatever one may think of Sutton, he was a consistent winner besides those last two seasons.  Just a solid guy that was good for a long time.  In fact, he had 14 straight winning seasons.  Can Mills do that?  Time will tell

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Whatever one may think of Sutton, he was a consistent winner besides those last two seasons.  Just a solid guy that was good for a long time.  In fact, he had 14 straight winning seasons.  Can Mills do that?  Time will tell

We can never forget what Coach Sutton did for our program and university. I certainly hope ORU inducts him into their HOF and has a really big event surrounding him. Nothing but respect for Scott, as I am sure everyone on this board does.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I agree that Scott did a lot for our program and was a consistent winner. He was alway gracious and friendly when I met him (infrequently). He should be recognized in some manner given that he is the winningest coach in ORU history. 

Total ORU wins...and TheEagleman loves Coach Sutton...when the dust settles the guy needs to to be in the ORU HOF....yeah it was time for a change but handled poorly on both sides...need to forgive and mend fences....the guy always answered my emails as does Paul Mills....😍

• Like 2

Coach Sutton was always extremely kind to me when I would email him. I would encourage him and thank him for the work he did at ORU with the team and having a positive influence on the men he was entrusted with. He was extremely kind to set me up with complimentary tickets when they played at Penn State, West Virginia and South Carolina. I really appreciated that.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, dave said:

Coach Sutton was always extremely kind to me when I would email him. I would encourage him and thank him for the work he did at ORU with the team and having a positive influence on the men he was entrusted with. He was extremely kind to set me up with complimentary tickets when they played at Penn State, West Virginia and South Carolina. I really appreciated that.

Thanks for sharing! That's very cool. 

Count me as another one who enjoyed a great relationship with Scott.  He was always very approachable, as were his early assistants Tom Hankins, Corey Williams, Conley Phipps, and Steve Upshaw (who is still on staff and a great guy).

But, I never did get to know the very private-bordering-on-anti-social Sean Sutton, and I'm convinced that Scott's career took its downturn in terms of his on-court success and his off-court relationship with the ORU administration when he brought his brother on board.  It was ultimately Scott's dogged defense of Sean that resulted in the awkward and bitter dismissal of both.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Scott's early coaching staff was not much unlike what we are experiencing with our current situation.  A strong group of men that relied on each other's strengths and covered for their weaknesses.  After the NCAA runs in the mid-2000's, I think that there was a continuity there that started to allow some (i.e., Corey to Florida State) to fly the coup and spread their wings.

However, family is stronger than friends, and Sean needed a place to land. Although I believe everyone liked each other, the chemistry started to wane as OT states, the downturn in terms of on-court successes started to be seen with the loss of Tom Hankins (Scott's brother-in-law) and Conley Phipps.

The departure of Scott was a disaster but he has always been a class act to those around the program and he was always a great and approachable guy off the court.  I hope that time heals all wounds and Scott would find it in his heart to want to accept a level of gratitude from our fan base for his hard work through the years.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

When I was in Canada years ago for a visit to Niagara Falls, I read that the ORU basketball was playing a team somewhere near there. We drive about an hour to see this exhibition game and after the game I met one of the ORU coaches in the bathroom. He asked if I wanted to meet Coach Sutton and I said, "sure." I met Scott and we talked for a while. I did appreciate that moment and Scott was very gracious. Later, he would send me ORU media magazines in the mail when I emailed him. 

Guess it's about time to get the ol' "Coaching Carousel" thread started for this season.

It would appear that at minimum, Coach Mills may be due for a bump in compensation if he stays at ORU with P5 schools showing interest...