Coach Mills

dave

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

This is really a statement game for ORU.....are we favorites or frauds??    :circle-logoi:

Actually, Eagleman, I see this game quite in the reverse.  Yes, it is a very important game for ORU and will significantly impact the top half of the Summit standings.  But, it really is a statement game for NDSU, not ORU.  

ORU can lose this game on the road and still be considered the favorites for the league title, although an ORU loss would bring NDSU into the title discussion.  On the other hand, an NDSU loss at home to the current league leaders would give them THREE losses in the Summit schedule while ORU would still be undefeated, which would likely be a too large of a deficit to overcome.  ORU’s opportunity on Thursday is not to be considered a title contender (they are and will continue to be, no matter the outcome), but to BURY the title hopes of another opponent.  And that in itself should be enough incentive for the players, coaches and fans to get excited about the matchup.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

.....besides he has a nice long term deal at around $750K per year.....:hc_mills:

$750K/year????  Says who?? 🙄🤔

It was reported when he signed his extension after the Sweet Sixteen in 2021 that the number was in the $700-750K range.....if i am incorrect then what's the true amount? And frankly if it's less than $750K per year he SHOULD be looking around.....ORU could lose the guy......😮

3 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

ORU can lose this game on the road and still be considered the favorites for the league title, although an ORU loss would bring NDSU into the title discussion.  On the other hand, an NDSU loss at home to the current league leaders would give them THREE losses in the Summit schedule while ORU would still be undefeated, which would likely be a too large of a deficit to overcome.  ORU’s opportunity on Thursday is not to be considered a title contender (they are and will continue to be, no matter the outcome), but to BURY the title hopes of another opponent.  And that in itself should be enough incentive for the players, coaches and fans to get excited about the matchup.  

Good perspective. Would be nice to create some separation on this road trip.

• Upvote 1

Idk about $750K. Unless they set aside some of that Green money, I just can’t phantom that. That’s a lot of money for ORU. The entire women’s staff plus some, doesn’t even come close to $750K.

If it is the number, that’s impressive. 

2 minutes ago, Mr_TwoFive said:

Idk about $750K. Unless they set aside some of that Green money, I just can’t phantom that. That’s a lot of money for ORU. The entire women’s staff plus some, doesn’t even come close to $750K.

You make the sweet 16 and the $$ that generated for ORU and you get a very nice raise!:) I bet he is right there. Makes the tourney again and his agent will be calling. 

51 minutes ago, Mr_TwoFive said:

Unless the president received an extension and raise at the same time, it would be hard for me to fathom that large of a number for Coach.  I hope that he was rewarded royally for getting his players to play two years ago, but Scott was only making $400K-$450K in his final year (based on Form 990 reports) and THAT was a high water mark for coaches in the athletic department.

Coach Mills is worth every penny of $700K for what he does for my Alma Mater....and if Billy Wilson is making that much the TheEagleman thinks he is stealing.....Old Titan would do the job for half that.....🤩

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Coach Mills is worth every penny of $700K for what he does for my Alma Mater....

I don't disagree that Coach Mills is worth $700K (and probably more), but this is ORU and there is a hierarchy.  For the fiscal year ended 4/30/21, Coach made $238K in pay and benefits per the Form 990.  He may be to $300K now, but if he is satisfied with his pay, it will take something extraordinary to move him away from ORU.  If $800K is to his liking, ORU cannot (and probably will not) compete with that.

This was published on the website Sportsnaut on April 1, 2021, "The university announced Thursday that Mills agreed to a new contract but did not specify terms. Stadium reported it was an eight-year deal through 2029." Does anyone know if this is true or if Mills has an option to leave early? 

The 990 I saw was for FY2021 (ending April 2021) and showed $238,000 in salary for Mills. I’m pretty sure the FY2022 990 (which would reflect Mills’ increased salary). has not been released by the IRS. 

15 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

Unless the president received an extension and raise at the same time, it would be hard for me to fathom that large of a number for Coach.  I hope that he was rewarded royally for getting his players to play two years ago, but Scott was only making $400K-$450K in his final year (based on Form 990 reports) and THAT was a high water mark for coaches in the athletic department.

Not sure what the president makes but all those improvements and the new Mike Carter Athletic Center were made possible by the Mens basketball team making the sweet 16. I believe that facility is debt free. I bet Mills makes at least $700K per year. If Scott would have made the sweet 16 he would have been in that range. He turned down jobs making more than that. 

The interesting number would be what the donations and fund raising from 2020 to the ones of 2021 when they made the sweet 16? I bet the difference would be eye opening. 

• Upvote 1

Just to clarify...the $700,000 number is what was told to me by a (usually) reliable source. That said, it was just what I was told at the time. I could be incorrect.

Either way, my point still stands. He has some good and some not so good. How we finish this year, when we are the CLEARLY best team in a VERY down year for the conference, will tell a lot. 

• Upvote 1

My understanding is that IRS Form 990 documents compensation from the 501c3 filing the form.  Is it possible the school got Mills to $700k through other avenues such as endorsements and the the coach's show? 

I was interviewing with a private school in Texas and wanted to get a view of the compensation structure of the leadership team.  The football coach was nowhere to be found on the form which lead me to assume he had a low base salary and most of his comp was derived from other sources.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

My understanding is that IRS Form 990 documents compensation from the 501c3 filing the form.  Is it possible the school got Mills to $700k through other avenues such as endorsements and the the coach's show? 

I was interviewing with a private school in Texas and wanted to get a view of the compensation structure of the leadership team.  The football coach was nowhere to be found on the form which lead me to assume he had a low base salary and most of his comp was derived from other sources.

If he's getting money for doing the coaches show, he's a shrewd lad. 🤣

8 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

That is exactly right. Usually around 15% to 20% of the total income will not show up on the Form 990 document. There are generally car leases paid for along with housing as well. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Coach Mills is worth every penny of $700K for what he does for my Alma Mater....and if Billy Wilson is making that much the TheEagleman thinks he is stealing.....Old Titan would do the job for half that.....🤩

Apparently at Butler the basketball coach makes quite a bit more than the university president.  

Key Employees and Officers Compensation

LAVALL JORDAN (HEAD COACH, MEN'S BASKETBALL)$1,640,009

JAMES DANKO (PRESIDENT)$679,899

BARRY COLLIER (VP AND ATHLETICS DIRECTOR)$365,121

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1