Coach Mills

dave

23 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Yes, he's a below .500 head coach against D-1 competition.

So was Bill Self at ORU. Not a meaningful stat to me.

• Upvote 1

But, you can also dig a little deeper in that...

Self was at ORU for 4 seasons and took us from the absolute gutter to 21 wins and the NIT. His trajectory was straight up. Had he stayed 2 more years, his record would have continued to greatly improve. 

Mills is in year 6 and his record has been pretty flat years 3 thru 5. If not for a wild 3-week run, the story line here would be COMPLETELY different. 

Look, I give the guy some credit for improving the program. My only contention is that we tend to get all starry-eyed about that miraculous 6 game run. That's all. I'm not saying can the dude, I'm just trying to have a little perspective. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, darrenj said:

That is exactly right. Usually around 15% to 20% of the total income will not show up on the Form 990 document. There are generally car leases paid for along with housing as well. 

The personal portion (mileage) of the auto (which is most of it), along with any housing subsidy, would be a taxable benefit to a coach - either from the university or the organization that is engaging in providing such benefits.  The government always wants their money. 😉💰

12 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

The personal portion (mileage) of the auto (which is most of it), along with any housing subsidy, would be a taxable benefit to a coach - either from the university or the organization that is engaging in providing such benefits.  The government always wants their money. 😉💰

That's exactly right.  It shows up on your paystub as a taxable fringe benefit.  It gets hit by income, social security and Medicare tax.  In Oklahoma there is probably a state income tax applied to it as well.

I recently heard an interview with Barry Switzer where he bragged about turning the Oklahoma football coaching job into a $1 million job with all the outside hustle he did.  Claimed the university was paying him $24 thousand when he started.

3 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

That's exactly right.  It shows up on your paystub as a taxable fringe benefit.  It gets hit by income, social security and Medicare tax.  In Oklahoma there is probably a state income tax applied to it as well.

I recently heard an interview with Barry Switzer where he bragged about turning the Oklahoma football coaching job into a $1 million job with all the outside hustle he did.  Claimed the university was paying him $24 thousand when he started.

But the auto, benefits, retirement contributions, health insurance, etc., is part of the coach's contract and is reportable as compensation on the Form 990.

The other income that Switzer (and other coaches) receive are NOT part of the contract between a school and the employee (coach) and therefore not reportable on the Form 990 or a coach's Form W-2.  In the bigger school environment, there is usually a "personal services contract" between an outside organization (an unrelated organization from the university) and the coach to show up to events and other school-related/sponsor-related activities for which the coach is compensated for showing up and possibly speaking but is reported outside the university.  I am not aware of such an organization that is doing this for our coaches.  There may be a shoe contract with Nike/Adidas/Under Armour which they usually have to show up to certain clinics and events, there may be money going into the coach's camp that is separate from the university (and usually is used to supplement other staff's compensation), etc., but that is being reported from those respective sources/entities. 

At the end of the day, the amount that is reported on a university's Form 990 is the amount that is being compensated to the coach directly by the university and what the university is responsible (contracted) to pay.  The 2022 Form 990 won't be filed until March 15 (10-1/2 months after year end with extensions), so we won't see that posted publicly anywhere until sometime this summer.

• Upvote 1

P.S.  I'm not really comfortable speaking about someone's specific compensation and how they may make money.  Let's keep this discussion generic as it affects all coaches, not just our coaches, and we can discuss how $$$ are spent by the university and how coaches in general are compensated, but to guess what someone is making is just that - a guess.  We all want our coaches to be successful and well-compensated for their time and talents.  We also want our coaches to feel welcomed and appreciated and discussing their compensation could make them feel that we are questioning their worth to the ministry and organization of ORU.  Just my opinion, FWIW..... 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

P.S.  I'm not really comfortable speaking about someone's specific compensation and how they may make money.  Let's keep this discussion generic as it affects all coaches, not just our coaches, and we can discuss how $$$ are spent by the university and how coaches in general are compensated, but to guess what someone is making is just that - a guess.  We all want our coaches to be successful and well-compensated for their time and talents.  We also want our coaches to feel welcomed and appreciated and discussing their compensation could make them feel that we are questioning their worth to the ministry and organization of ORU.  Just my opinion, FWIW..... 

The context in this case was whether Paul Mills might consider greener pastures should other jobs come calling after this season, and compensation figures into that.

As previously mentoned, there are a variety of factors that make ORU an attractive base of operations for Coach Mills over the long run.  I do not think he would leave just for money to a place where he could not (for want of a better phrase) "be himself".

• Upvote 2

This discussion is way above TheEaglemans' intelligence level....thank God for TurboTax.....:hc_mills:

• Haha 2

Here's the deal.....TheEagleman surely outkicked his coverage when he married MrsEagleman....but Coach Paul Mills doesn't need to outkick his coverage by leaving ORU.....it's a match made in heaven......:hc_mills:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Here's the deal.....TheEagleman surely outkicked his coverage when he married MrsEagleman....but Coach Paul Mills doesn't need to outkick his coverage by leaving ORU.....it's a match made in heaven......:hc_mills:

As long as Mrs. Mills likes Tulsa and ORU, Coach Mills will be happy too.  When momma's happy, everybody's happy! 🤷‍♂️

Powerful speech. In some respects I relate what he's saying in this clip to what I posted the other day about people lingering after games. People are connecting with this team in a special way. And the team is connecting with their fans by coming back out on the court and mingling with those that are feeling that connection. In doing so they are giving part of themselves - their time and energy - to the fans. I think it really fits with what Mills was saying.

Truthfully, I'm impressed with Mills' motivational ability.

(Edit: see ORob1's post on FaceBook today for a wonderful example of what I'm talking about!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Powerful stuff, Coach. So thankful God is using him to influence these guys' life. A great rel-life explanation of Acts 2:35, "In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

(Edit: see ORob1's post on FaceBook today for a wonderful example of what I'm talking about!)

Could not find it - link perhaps?

Show TheEagleman a brick wall....I am ready to run thru it for Paul Mills and give my gift away!!!...........                 👍:hc_mills:👍

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Could not find it - link perhaps?

(6) Facebook

That seems to work for me - see if it

works for you.

ORob1 and ORob2 looked like they had so much fun last weekend it makes me want to move away so that I can come back and have such a good time!!

• Like 2