Coach Mills

dave

A few minutes ago, I watched the press conference when Mike Carter and President Wilson answered questions about the dismissal of Scott Sutton. Carter said that there were 50 or so candidates for the opening and there were 6-10 that he would not hesitate to hire. He and Wilson also recognized the extreme importance of finding the right guy for the job. I just watched this video of the press conference following the win over Florida. I have probably seen it 25 times. When I watch it, I am reminded that ORU hired the right guy. I am enjoying the success of Golden Eagle basketball then and now, but I am thrilled to have a man at the helm who understands what is truly important and communicates it to his players and staff.

• Upvote 4

Great message....but Come on, Coach.....TheEagleman thinks that beating NDSU this Thursday Night is fairly important......😉:hc_mills:😉                  Image result for jesus the chosen photos

• Like 1

I had the privilege of chauffeuring the top 3 candidates around campus. I thought it was interesting that I was chosen to do so lol. Being under the coaching tree of Sutton, I still felt some type of way. The whole situation was a dumpster fire and should have been handled differently. Anyway, I was fortunate to have good conversations with all the candidates. Mills was the last one I got to connect with. His intentionality is what stuck out to me. He had my pick (I was not on the committee) and I knew he was going to be the next HC. I’m bias, so Sutton will always be my top pick, but Mills is a close second. 

Let’s cherish him while we can. He won’t be here too long. He’s the real deal! 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mr_TwoFive said:

I had the privilege of chauffeuring the top 3 candidates around campus. I thought it was interesting that I was chosen to do so lol. Being under the coaching tree of Sutton, I still felt some type of way. The whole situation was a dumpster fire and should have been handled differently. Anyway, I was fortunate to have good conversations with all the candidates. Mills was the last one I got to connect with. His intentionality is what stuck out to me. He had my pick (I was not on the committee) and I knew he was going to be the next HC. I’m bias, so Sutton will always be my top pick, but Mills is a close second. 

Let’s cherish him while we can. He won’t be here too long. He’s the real deal! 

Interesting parting comment there, KS - what makes you think he will leave? 

What other gig affords a similar platform for his faith-on-his-sleeve approach?

Besides Mills and Coach Tang (who should probably be a serious National Coach of the Year candidate for what he's doing at KSU) who was the third of the top 3 candidates?

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Interesting parting comment there, KS - what makes you think he will leave? 

What other gig affords a similar platform for his faith-on-his-sleeve approach?

Money talks. Not saying he’s in it for the money but it’s the nature of the business. I don’t think his end goal is to be a mid-major coach. I could be wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time lol, but I would think that he would want to get eventually move up. 

I don’t see him being a lifer. He can recruit and if he can continues to win, the opportunity will be there.

3 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Besides Mills and Coach Tang (who should probably be a serious National Coach of the Year candidate for what he's doing at KSU) who was the third of the top 3 candidates?

I can’t remember the other guy’s name. He was from Iowa St. 

• Upvote 1

I can't see Mills making a lateral move to another mid-major - even in a better conference.  His next move should be to a P5 conference, mid- to higher-division team.  No one good should be coaching at Nebraska, Bradley, Penn St., or other places that no kid in his right mind would want to go. 😃

Coach Mills is just where he needs to be.....TheEagleman doesn't see him moving up to another school....I mean, he's a wonderful motivator but not a brilliant strategist on game day.....besides he has a nice long term deal at around $750K per year.....nothing wrong with that.....Mills and ORU are perfect together.....:hc_mills:

Coach Mills appears not at all interested in the social element of hob-nobbing with fans and sponsors that most other schools would require.

ORU let's him be a coach, husband and father first, with few demands on his time outside of coaching his team.

It;s a perfect fit for a guy like him; I just don't see him leaving for anything other than a personal bucket-list job, such as Baylor, Houston or Texas A&M.

• Upvote 2

It will be interesting to see what type of offers he may get IF they make the tourney this year. He isn't getting a job in the Big 12 or that level. Used to be the Missouri Valley level (which Scott Sutton turned down Bradley and a couple of others at that level. ) So. what level? Lower AAC? Problem with those schools is you get 3 years to win or fired. So he will double or triple his salary but lots of pressure to get it turned around quickly. 

Making $750K with very little pressure on him. That is pretty nice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Coach Mills appears not at all interested in the social element of hob-nobbing with fans and sponsors that most other schools would require.

ORU let's him be a coach, husband and father first, with few demands on his time outside of coaching his team.

It;s a perfect fit for a guy like him; I just don't see him leaving for anything other than a personal bucket-list job, such as Baylor, Houston or Texas A&M.

Classic example:  second week in a row that Coach Mills will not be appearing on his own coaching show, his only in-season media obligation:

Seriously, how do think that sort of thing would fly at the Wichita States and SMU’s of the college basketball world?

How can Coach Mills keep passing up Waldo's Chicken???....tough thing to do.....but sounds like he's in preparation for the big game in Fargo on Thursday Night....and who can blame him for that?  This is really a statement game for ORU.....are we favorites or frauds??    :circle-logoi:

5 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Classic example:  second week in a row that Coach Mills will not be appearing on his own coaching show, his only in-season media obligation:

Seriously, how do think that sort of thing would fly at the Wichita States and SMU’s of the college basketball world?

So.. He doesn't come to his own coaches show? Is that something different for him? You can get away with certain things like Greg Marshall did at Wichita st BUT you better win a lot of games and make the tourney regularly and win a couple. 

14 hours ago, Mr_TwoFive said:

I can’t remember the other guy’s name. He was from Iowa St. 

Daniyal Robinson...

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, darrenj said:

So.. He doesn't come to his own coaches show? Is that something different for him? You can get away with certain things like Greg Marshall did at Wichita st BUT you better win a lot of games and make the tourney regularly and win a couple. 

As I have pointed out ad nauseam during his time at ORU, Coach Mills is terminally indifferent to media obligations, often times eschewing appearances on everything from conference media days to the radio post-game interviews to his own coach’s show. 

Look, this is not intended to bash him for that; I’m just pointing out why ORU is a better fit for him than 99% of all other jobs:  he can take that approach here and only the goofball critics like me complain about it. Not so at most other schools - they have LOTS of goofball critics that might not be so accomodating! 😄

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

As I have pointed out ad nauseam during his time at ORU, Coach Mills is terminally indifferent to media obligations, often times eschewing appearances on everything from conference media days to the radio post-game interviews to his own coach’s show. 

Look, this is not intended to bash him for that; I’m just pointing out why ORU is a better fit for him than 99% of all other jobs:  he can take that approach here and only the goofball critics like me complain about it. Not so at most other schools - they have LOTS of goofball critics that might not be so accomodating! 😄

Nothing wrong with pointing out the good and bad about a coach. He's an adult and is paid handsomely. 

And, like anything/anyone else...it's usually a mixed bag. Yes, he took us the the Sweet 16 and brought great exposure to the program and University! Yes, he's a below .500 head coach against D-1 competition. Yes, he seems like a genuine Christian and is unashamed. And yes, he has introvert qualities and doesn't seem to feel it necessary to do much pubilc/media relations.

All points are true. The good and not so good. 

Let us also remember that after 4 straight conference titles and 3 straight NCAA appearances, most all of us would have agreed that Scott Sutton should receive a lifetime contract. As the ever wise ORUTerry would say...things are never as good as they appear or as bad as they seem. Or, something like that. 

• Upvote 4