Coach Mills

dave

Invariably, this is the price of success. While it may sting a bit at times, it’s a good problem to have!

• Upvote 2

Paul Mills  ain't leaving ORU and surely isn't going to OU.....not gonna happen...at least not in the near future.....:hc_mills:....of course....TheEagleman also predicted that Connor Vanover had no chance to be in our starting line up...so there's that to consider.....😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

...of course....TheEagleman also predicted that Connor Vanover had no chance to be in our starting line up...so there's that to consider.....😮

I think you have taken the opponent with the points way too many times this season too. Good thing you can’t bet. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Excellent point, OKC....TheEagleman has saved a lot of $$$ thanks to my giving up sports wagering....and i feel the weight of the world lifted from my shoulders.....now if any of you are thinking about placing a wager on the Super Bowl this Sunday and looking for some direction from TheEagleman....well, lets just say.....You all know where I stand on this upcoming game....and it shouldn't be very close.....😉😎👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Was anything annouced in the Mabee Center this past homestand about Coach Mills winning his 100th game vs. North Dakota?

I don't remember hearing it in the arena but Adam did mention the possibility during the pregame and then congratulating Coach after the game. 

13 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Was anything annouced in the Mabee Center this past homestand about Coach Mills winning his 100th game vs. North Dakota?

Did not hear an announcement. However, ORU Basketball posted their congratulations the following the game:

Facebook link

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 1.57.03 PM.png

• Upvote 2

During the 1996-97 Oral Roberts basketball season, there was a feeling that coach Bill Self had positioned himself for other opportunities.

His 1995-96 Golden Eagles closed that season with a 10-game win streak, and his 1996-97 team secured an NIT berth on the strength of a 21-7 record and upsets of Oklahoma State and Arkansas.

During the summer of 1997, almost immediately after then-Golden Hurricane coach Steve Robinson departed for Florida State, the University of Tulsa hired Self.

Hard to believe it's Paul Mills' sixth year as ORU's head coach. Could the Golden Eagles top their 2021 Sweet Sixteen season? ORU is currently No. 37 in NET rankings.

As Paul Mills drives ORU through one of the better seasons in program history, there is the sense that he’ll command the attention of bigger schools with coaching vacancies.

At 50, Mills is a former longtime Baylor assistant who now is in his sixth season as the Golden Eagles’ head man.

In 2021, Mills and the Golden Eagles were the most celebrated Cinderella figures of the NCAA Tournament. The Golden Eagles bounced Ohio State and Florida before falling 72-70 to Arkansas in a Sweet Sixteen thriller. This season, the Golden Eagles are 25-4, unbeaten in the Summit League and already have clinched the league’s regular-season title.

In its last 69 games, ORU is 52-17. A strong current senior class includes four players — Max Abmas, Kareem Thompson, Carlos Jurgens and DeShang Weaver — who were on ORU’s Sweet Sixteen roster.

During a Monday interview with the Tulsa World, ORU athletic director Tim Johnson was asked about his stress level regarding the status of his head basketball coach.

“It’s something I think about all the time,” Johnson replied. “Paul and I have a great relationship and I’m really proud of what we’ve been able to do together. Would we be able to compete (with major universities) financially? The answer is no.

“But I think Paul knows, and our department knows, that I’m willing personally to do whatever I can do to make sure we give him everything he needs and wants to be successful here. That’s taking care of him personally. That’s taking care of him and his family. Whatever we can do to make the program go forward, whether that’s in the (name-image-likeness) space or whatever it might be.

“We’re prepared and I’m prepared to make sure the program is moving forward, and to continue to make sure that coach Mills is the coach.”

Mills has six years remaining on an eight-year contract he signed after the 2021 NCAA Tournament. Buyout details are not known.

“Doors have opened in the past,” Mills said in January. “Look at what I’ve done. I stayed at Baylor for 14 years, (in spite) of other opportunities.

“I get it. People speculate. I haven’t given any reason to anybody — our players included — to think that I’m not totally committed to them and elevating this program.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ting said:

“I get it. People speculate. I haven’t given any reason to anybody — our players included — to think that I’m not totally committed to them and elevating this program.”

Is it possible that Coach Mills is the first coach in the history of coaching who is actually being honest?  I think so but we shall see. 

If I had to guess, this is merely angling for a raise for himself and his assistants, unless someone just throws stupid money at him.

The job I worry about opening up is Baylor, if Scott Drew gets Texas or Louisville.  Mills would have to be high on their list...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Is it possible that Coach Mills is the first coach in the history of coaching who is actually being honest?  I think so but we shall see. 

I'm 100% sure he's being honest. But that doesn't mean it won't be hard to turn down a P5 offer that includes triple (or more) the money we can offer. It's easy to turn down hypothetical riches, not so easy when the money is actually on the table. 

• Upvote 1

It is difficult to get a completely accurate number but from what I researched Mark Few at Gonzaga is making approximately $1.8 million a year.  He also makes bonuses based on performance. He has led Gonzaga to 15 time WCC Tournament titles, 18 WCC Regular Season Titles, 2 NCAA Runner up , 2017 Naismith Coach of the year as well as multiple runs in the Big Dance. With this said Coach Mills has not yet earned this type of resume. In order to keep a quality coach like Mills can and will ORU pay a million plus? I would understand  if Mills left to take a P5 job for a lot more $ but in the long run is the short term $ worth it compared to being king at ORU and making a million plus for a lot of years? Mark Few has certainly been the exception and he has expressed that he and his family love Spokane and the pacific northwest and the quality of life in that area. Does Mills value similar things and moving forward how much of a factor is it for him to be able to openly share his faith with his players and community? I guess in the end it will depend on Coach Mills goals and aspirations and what are the most important things to him. Over my life I have seen many people chase $ and in the end that usually isn't good. For me I have found balancing making a good living with other intangibles has brought a lot of joy and happiness to me and my family. Not saying that going for a P5 job will prevent this but it sure could make it harder.

• Upvote 1