ORU at NDSU

theeagleman5

45 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Speaking of the old MidCon days, somehow, don't  ask me how, this week I found myself in a thread on Valpos board that was started after our sweet 16 run.  They were remarking that despite that run and the subsequent spending spree, our program was beneath them and we weren't "MVC worthy"...blah blah blah.  That was before their program  became the dumpster fire that it is today.  Most everyone enjoys throwing stones....myself included.

Valpo will be fortunate to ever finish in the upper half of the MVC again... and this isn't the Creighton & Wichita St. MVC.

Valpo has no support or funding, plays in a crackerjack 2A high school gym, and really outside of a fluke shot by Bryce has no history.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Random observations:

• It’s really hard to win on the road in conference play. Just ask #8 Xavier, who got beat last night by a 9-10 DePaul squad
  • Some of the reasons for the above:

a. Road teams aren’t used to sight lines/rims/etc. so they don’t shoot as well as normal

b. Officials normally lean towards the home team - resulting in more free throw attempts & overall favorable calls

• For some reason, Max has not typically played well against the Bison. 
  • Both teams have this game circled on their calendar and, given recent history, expect lots of effort/focus on this game. 
  • NDSU has made strides in improving over the last 5-6 games. They are streaky shooters; sometimes shooting lights out and other times struggling to score. Depends on who shows up tonight. 

Hard for me not to pick NDSU at home and playing their best basketball of the season.

Bottom line:  if ORU loses tonight and wins at UND on Saturday, they still return to Tulsa in first place.  But with a loss tonight NDSU falls three games back of ORU and still has to visit the Mabee Center.

Taking the desperate team at home:  NDSU 81, ORU 75.

LakesBison is back!!!...let the fun begin....but have to say that man always calls it like he sees it.....Lakes is TheEagleman of NDSU....gotta love him!....enjoy a few Old Milwaukees tonight sir!....agree with my friend up north that this should be a dandy game tonight and the Bison will be tough to beat in front of a raucous home crowd......expect some home cooking from the refs....Max, Conner, Mwamba, Thompson and maybe even Weaver will need monster games tonight......and please....NO PHIPPS!!!  NDSU will abuse him to no end......we don't need that being the difference what should be a tight contest....GO BLUE!!!! :circle-logoi:

I would say that “Shoot first, defend later” has been a pretty accurate description of many ORU teams over the last 10 years.  I am so encouraged by the improvement in defensive play over the last 8-10 games or so.  When we made the Sweet Sixteen run 2 years ago, we actually defended pretty well and if Juergens had not drawn his fourth foul vs Arkansas, I think we would have made the Elite Eight in 2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Valpo will be fortunate to ever finish in the upper half of the MVC again... and this isn't the Creighton & Wichita St. MVC.

Valpo has no support or funding, plays in a crackerjack 2A high school gym, and really outside of a fluke shot by Bryce has no history.

Too bad those chickens won't play us in a home and home. The teams had some good games back in the day. Valpo was bringing in some Euro big guys

That was one of the best halves of basketball I've ever seen.

Both teams playing fantastic on both ends; trading blows like a heavyweight title bout.

GREAT stuff!!

• Like 2

Grant Nelson played the whole first half. Will be curious if he can keep that level of play in the 2nd half. He looked gassed the last few minutes. 

is anyone having trouble with the radio broadcast?  Fortunately we are watching on ESPN+, but unable to hear Adam.

• Upvote 2