ORU at NDSU

theeagleman5

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Just in case anyone thinks NDSU followers have "forgotten" last year's dust-up, check out this little 2-minute snippet where Paul Mills is described as "the ultimate heel" for his role in the fracas, and that Bison head coach Dave Richman "owns Paul Mills" having beaten the Golden Eagles three times last year:

Love the banter, this guy does a great job of building the hype. I think Mills has this game circled on his calendar. spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Agree, EMR....it's time for ORU to kick some Bison butt....especially in front of their home fans so we can put to rest that Coach Mills isn't owned by anyone......:hc_mills:

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

A name to remember from this article:  Boden Skunberg, NDSU's mouthy #21 who got right in Paul Mills' face during the skirmish last season, is now wearing No. 14 (new identity?) and trails only Grant Nelson in scoring 13.9 per game for the Bison from the two-guard spot.

Here's hoping Carlos and Patrick make his life miserable Thursday night... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

From the Tulsa World.  Can someone please tell me what the heck Coach Mills meant with this quote about North Dakota being really cold??  LOL

Oral Roberts at North Dakota State

7 p.m. Thursday, Scheels Center, Fargo, N.D.

ESPN+, ORU Sports Network, 99.9 FM ESPN

Records: ORU 15-4 (6-0 Summit League), North Dakota State 8-11 (5-2)

Maintaining control: ORU, coming off an 81-69 win over St. Thomas last Saturday, has a chance to expand its Summit League lead as it visits North Dakota State, which is in second place and has won five in a row. The trip also includes a visit to North Dakota on Saturday afternoon. ORU coach Paul Mills said, "North Dakota State is playing well. To go on the road to the Dakotas is fresh air that's really cold." 

More honors for Abmas: Max Abmas is the Summit League Peak Performer of the Week for the third time this season. Abmas averaged 26.7 points, 5 rebound and 3.3 assists in three games last week. He moved into second on the Summit League's career list for 3-pointers made with 365. Abmas is sixth in the nation with a 21.8 scoring average and leads the Summit League at 24.5.

Scouting the opponent: North Dakota State swept three games from ORU last season -- 72-71, 77-59 and 92-72. In ORU's last trip to Fargo, there was an altercation between the teams during post-game handshakes. The Bison are led by Grant Nelson, who averages 15.7 points and 8 rebounds.

— Barry Lewis, Tulsa World

• Haha 1

ORU -7 is a bit crazy....TheEagleman thinks we can win but laying that many points would not be prudent. I agree that Mills has this one circled and wants it badly....Bison will surely try to take Max out of the game but Good Guys need Mwamba, Vanover, Jurgens and Thompson to lay a little lumber on the home team...and if Skumbag or whatever his name is wants a little action I say we give it to him. This should be a heck of a game in Fargo and too bad ESPN thinks Australian Open Tennis is more exciting than us and the Bison....it should go down to the final seconds and maybe even overtime....ORU 83 NDSU 80...Go Blue!!! 😍 :tb-blue: 😎

• Like 1

It's GAME DAY and TheEagleman is pumped....not sure I can wait 11 more hours til tipoff.....in fact I woke up this morning dreaming of Mwamba going after Skunberg in the first few minutes of this one....i figure one or two scowls from Mwamba and #14 will have to head back to the NDSU locker room for a dry pair of shorts......😬

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU -7 is a bit crazy....TheEagleman thinks we can win but laying that many points would not be prudent. I agree that Mills has this one circled and wants it badly....Bison will surely try to take Max out of the game but Good Guys need Mwamba, Vanover, Jurgens and Thompson to lay a little lumber on the home team...and if Skumbag or whatever his name is wants a little action I say we give it to him. This should be a heck of a game in Fargo and too bad ESPN thinks Australian Open Tennis is more exciting than us and the Bison....it should go down to the final seconds and maybe even overtime....ORU 83 NDSU 80...Go Blue!!! 😍 :tb-blue: 😎

Whenever a line seems REALLY out of whack, they're setting you up. Look for ORU to win by 10. As we should, being the clearly better team. 

If ORU wins by 10....TheEagleman will be a very happy man sipping his Chianti this evening....and FYI....it's currently a balmy 21 degrees in Fargo headed up to about 23 in the early afternoon....but fortunately this game is played indoors.....and honestly that's fairly warm for North Dakota in January......ORU players and coaches can't complain....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

31 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

If ORU wins by 10....TheEagleman will be a very happy man sipping his Chianti this evening....and FYI....it's currently a balmy 21 degrees in Fargo headed up to about 23 in the early afternoon....but fortunately this game is played indoors.....and honestly that's fairly warm for North Dakota in January......ORU players and coaches can't complain....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

Now that you're cured from gambling, we gotta get you off the sauce! 🤣

• Haha 1

I think the Eagleman is just following Paul's advice to Timothy.  I'm sure the Eagleman has a lot of "stomach ailments!"  🤣

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

SImage 

So TheEagleman hopes to see several of these tonight in Fargo.....but one question....a monster dunk by Mwamba but who is the Nit Wit in the background who is either checking his cell phone or asleep??...That's priceless....😂

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2023 at 12:09 PM, ORUalum said:

From the column "Oral Roberts is the more skilled team, but would you count out the Bison the way they play defense under Richman?"

Admittedly, I don't follow other teams in the Summit League as closely as some of you but I don't get that one.  KenPom rates them 238 in D1 for Adjusted Defensive Efficiency although, apparently, they have played some good offensive teams.  On average, they give up 72.6 points per game.  We give up 72.3.  While our defense has improved this year I don't expect to see the Tulsa World to write "but would you count out the Golden Eagles the way they play defense under Mills?"  

What am I missing?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

From the column "Oral Roberts is the more skilled team, but would you count out the Bison the way they play defense under Richman?"

Admittedly, I don't follow other teams in the Summit League as closely as some of you but I don't get that one.  KenPom rates them 238 in D1 for Adjusted Defensive Efficiency although, apparently, they have played some good offensive teams.  On average, they give up 72.6 points per game.  We give up 72.3.  While our defense has improved this year I don't expect to see the Tulsa World to write "but would you count out the Golden Eagles the way they play defense under Mills?"  

What am I missing?

There's a 400-pound gorilla in the room when it comes to the perception of ORU as a program by the so-called experts up in the Dakotas, Minnesota, etc.

Simply put, there's a tendency by many in the Great White North to view ORU as "shoot first, defend later" because it fits their steretype of ORU as the urban, hip-hoppin', Southern step-child to their fair-haired, Scandinavian heroes.

It's subtle, it's well-mannered, and perhaps even sub-conscious, but it's persistent, and consistent, dating way back to Valpo's fans and media when it came to addressing ORU and Oakland in their respective Mid-Con glory days. 

And it permeates all the newspaper columns, podcasts, and fan forums:  ORU wins despite themselves, because they are so "talented", and our boys will ultimately prevail because they are better-coached and play the game "the right way" (ie. they're better on defense).

So, just forget that ORU is currently leading the conference in virtually every defensive category measured by KenPom.  

It simply does not fit their narrative, facts be damned...

Untitled 3.jpeg

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

There's a 400-pound gorilla in the room when it comes to the perception of ORU as a program by the so-called experts up in the Dakotas, Minnesota, etc.

Simply put, there's a tendency by many in the Great White North to view ORU as "shoot first, defend later" because it fits their steretype of ORU as the urban, hip-hoppin', Southern step-child to their fair-haired, Scandinavian heroes.

It's subtle, it's well-mannered, and perhaps even sub-conscious, but it's persistent, and consistent, dating way back to Valpo's fans and media when it came to addressing ORU and Oakland in their respective Mid-Con glory days. 

And it permeates all the newspaper columns, podcasts, and fan forums:  ORU wins despite themselves, because they are so "talented", and our boys will ultimately prevail because they are better-coached and play the game "the right way" (ie. they're better on defense).

So, just forget that ORU is currently leading the conference in virtually every defensive category measured by KenPom.  

It simply does not fit their narrative, facts be damned...

Untitled 3.jpeg

Insightful as usual OT.  I'm always willing to accept some hometown bias from the hometown paper so it isn't like this offended me I just thought it was a really uninformed statement.

As I reflect on your post I think this also finds its way into how Mills is viewed outside of our community.  Mills is described as "prickly."  Kampe had "a short fuse" (I thought our fans liked him).  I imagine Richmond is "type A", "a hard charger", "has high expectations."...you get my point.  Is Mills really a coach "who rubs many around the Summit League the wrong way?"  Or does he just rub many in the Dakotas the wrong way because he crashed their party 2 years ago and is threatening to do it again?  I don't know.

As a highly placed executive once said to me when I was explaining to him why things weren't as bad as he wanted to think they were "Well clearly I'm not letting the facts get in the way of the point I'm trying to make."

Speaking of the old MidCon days, somehow, don't  ask me how, this week I found myself in a thread on Valpos board that was started after our sweet 16 run.  They were remarking that despite that run and the subsequent spending spree, our program was beneath them and we weren't "MVC worthy"...blah blah blah.  That was before their program  became the dumpster fire that it is today.  Most everyone enjoys throwing stones....myself included.

I'll be Courtside.  wish some ORU fans would be there.

I am so down on NDSU staff , starting 1-11 really pissed me off.  we won 5 games vs 5 200+ net teams.

but Grant Nelson keeps on getting better.

3 weeks ago I'd predict oru 85 ndsu 63 

now I think it's a 5 point game and the ndsu fans do get loud so that might swing things 

no one can guard max if he wants to drive every play.

should be a fun one!

ps no one here cares about what Ross says.  even more don't give 2 poops about the blog writer with no life.   so that's NOT the M.O of this fanbase  believe me.

• Upvote 1