Bench Minutes- Trey missed shots!

ORU40

13 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

I thought Phipps was standing out of bounds when that happened. Would like to have seen another angle.

Phipps WAS standing out of bounds when the NDSU player bounced the ball off of him.  However, it is possible that the NDSU player was out of bounds first before he touched the ball and the official didn't see it.  Regardless, whatever the referee says goes and it is Bison ball. 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, jmg1984 said:

Maybe but if he just got in the guys way ORU ball

It was a bang-bang play. But we can all be confident that you would have played it perfectly. 😆

9 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Phipps WAS standing out of bounds when the NDSU player bounced the ball off of him.  However, it is possible that the NDSU player was out of bounds first before he touched the ball and the official didn't see it.  Regardless, whatever the referee says goes and it is Bison ball. 🤷‍♂️

Exactly. Refs miss calls and that's the way it goes. 

Look, I've been disappointed in some of what I've seen from Phipps, too, and wonder why he gets the minutes he does. But in a thread that's dedicated to criticizing his poor play he could probably use an advocate now and then - especially on bad calls. 🙂

• Like 1

Coach made a point in post game to say we were +9 with Trey in.  I wonder if Coach reads this board. 🙃

Where can I see the box score with additional stats (eff)?  Sometimes I see them, but not usually.

25 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

Coach made a point in post game to say we were +9 with Trey in.  I wonder if Coach reads this board. 🙃

Where can I see the box score with additional stats (eff)?  Sometimes I see them, but not usually.

This is why I have pretty much stayed out of this debate:  the bottom line is that Coach Mills is dedicated to playing Trey, for whatever reasons, period. 

Debating the merits one way or the other is a fool's errand, tantamount to surmising why our coaching staff dresses like they're a competitive mall-walking team.

Along those notes, I caught the Arkansas-Missouri game the other night and was blown away by the sartorial splendor of Tigers coach Dennis Gates and his staff.  Talk about dressing for success - loved it!

KCM_KUvsMUPhotossp121022rs1 (3).jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Both coaches in last nights UCLA vs. Arizona State games were wearing suits and ties…. Bobby Hurley lost his coat pretty quickly 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Along those notes, I caught the Arkansas-Missouri game the other night and was blown away by the sartorial splendor of Tigers coach Dennis Gates and his staff.  Talk about dressing for success - loved it!

This really matters to you doesn't it?  Would you also like to see NFL coaches back in suits?  We can fit Mike McCarthy for a fedora 🤣

That prompts a thought.  It is my understanding that NFL coaches dress like athletic trainers because the apparel sponsors want to promote their product.  I recall a number of years ago a couple of coaches wanted to kick it old school and wear suits.  They had to get fitted by Reebok.

Is it possible that the coach has an economic incentive to wear athletic apparel over the business dress you value so highly?

Mike McCarthy could coach in a Tuxedo and he would still stink......hope JJ gives him a 10 year extension.....😉Image result for mike mccarthy dallas cowboys

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Debating the merits one way or the other is a fool's errand, tantamount to surmising why our coaching staff dresses like they're a competitive mall-walking team.

First of all, this post is living proof to me that Old Titan is fully BACK from an obviously successful surgery.  While the rest of us have kept the board alive and active in your absence, the quality of banter just hasn’t been the same without you, my friend.  

Secondly, to your point, aren’t we all glad that at least the staff looks like a COMPETITIVE mall-walking team??? 🤪

• Haha 3

Coach Mills needs Trey to play 5-10 minutes to just give McBride a break.  Max usually plays 40 minutes and I don't think we want McBride playing 40 too.  The only other option Coach has is Cam and as a true freshman he is just not ready.  Williams is more ready than Cam but he is a small forward.  So not the best fit to replace McBride.  When it comes down to it, Trey is the last man off the bench because of lack of guard depth.  

31 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

This really matters to you doesn't it?  Would you also like to see NFL coaches back in suits?  We can fit Mike McCarthy for a fedora 🤣

Let me flip that visual for you:  can you visualize Tom Landry in a hoodie on the sideline?

Vince Lombardi in a mock turtleneck? 

George Halas in a polo? 

My man Hank Stram in anything but his $1000 Italian suits in Arrowhead?

There's a reason those legends look like titans of industry on the sidelines in those old NFL Films segments - they dressed the part!

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Coach Mills needs Trey to play 5-10 minutes to just give McBride a break.  Max usually plays 40 minutes and I don't think we want McBride playing 40 too.  The only other option Coach has is Cam and as a true freshman he is just not ready.  Williams is more ready than Cam but he is a small forward.  So not the best fit to replace McBride.  When it comes down to it, Trey is the last man off the bench because of lack of guard depth.  

Have to disagree with you KH, coach can start his usual 5 and rotate Patrick and DJ in and give McBride and Max a few minutes rest each half by rotating Max or McBride at the point with Carlos or even Kareem at the 2 with DJ, Patrick, Conner, or Williams... we would be better defensively and on the boards!! 

We have a very solid 3 guard rotation (Max, McBride & Carlos) and 5 guys that can play the 3,4 or 5 spot which gives us an 8-man rotation allowing rest for the guys.  I know it's a radical concept that we've discussed extensively... but we could play a 2- guard lineup! 

Example line ups, Max, Carlos, Kareem, Patrick and DJ or McBride, Max, DJ, Patrick & Conner or McBride, Carlos, Kareem, DJ & Patrick any of those groups will CRUSH most 2nd units... actually, most starting units as well!!! 

**Here's a question for you all, if you're a good summit guard/wing or any guard/wing in the country and the game starts and you hit a couple shots and get to the basket for a layup and you're feeling it, ORU calls timeout and subs... do you want to see Mwamba walking over to you calling out " I got here" with an angry scowl on his face or would you rather see Trey walking over???** 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

Look, I've been disappointed in some of what I've seen from Phipps, too, and wonder why he gets the minutes he does. But in a thread that's dedicated to criticizing his poor play he could probably use an advocate now and then - especially on bad calls. 🙂

Even before seeing this post, the thought crossed my mind this morning - have we ever, in the history of this board, had a thread that was dedicated solely to the on-court struggles of an individual player? Granted, I was on hiatus for a few years, and may have missed one. But back when I was active - which was before Old Titan's deeply seated sartorial consciousness became a major topic of discussion - I don't remember one.

You kind of read my mind, Texasgrip!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Even before seeing this post, the thought crossed my mind this morning - have we ever, in the history of this board, had a thread that was dedicated solely to the on-court struggles of an individual player? Granted, I was on hiatus for a few years, and may have missed one. But back when I was active - which was before Old Titan's deeply seated sartorial consciousness became a major topic of discussion - I don't remember one.

You kind of read my mind, Texasgrip!!

"deeply seated sartorial consciousness", may be the best line in the history of this or any other message board! 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

Trey is about to go Marchello Vealy on some unsuspecting team. He is due. 

Love the reference!  Heck, I'd settle for him even going "Chris Rouse" on someone one night...

Rob

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1