Bench Minutes- Trey missed shots!

ORU40

I tried not to take the bait from Mrs. Smith, but I couldn't hold out, I also want to see more bench minutes but distributed a little differently.

We all want to see "Mo Mwamba" and I think DJ has actually been our best player in several games! Dimari and Sir Isaac are great athletes with great potential.

But the real issue is Trey Phipps, I think he has shown himself to not be productive D1 guard!!! Yet coach keeps playing him significant minutes off the bench.

In my opinion, Cam should be getting Trey's minutes. He has a high ceiling, and I think we are seeing Trey's best- he's not going to get any better than this, which is horrible!

If someone can tell why Trey is getting these minutes, I would love to hear it!!

Play our best coach and we can have a great season and a great future!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Trey has experience and can shoot the three.  Coach Mills likes that combo.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Trey has experience and can shoot the three.  Coach Mills likes that combo.

It's not shooting the 3 that concerns me, it's making the 3!! And what does experience mean??? more than DJ's experience??? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Coach also most likely sees Trey in himself.  Whether we like it or not, TP will continue to get his minutes.  He has for the last year and a half and I do not see any changes coming.  Basically Mills plays 8 guys unless the game is a blowout.  I was surprised that Herron did not see the court in the WIU blowout tonight.  Maybe they decide to red shirt him this year, after missing the first 12 games with an injury.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

GIF by Giphy QA

I'm ready, bring it on!!

Someone please tell me why Trey should be playing ahead of DJ, Sir Isaac, Dimari or Cam!  Maybe I'm missing something, or I just don't understand the game!!!

Just saying that's the way it is doesn't fly with me!! It's time for a change!!

Play our best coach!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Coach also most likely sees Trey in himself.  Whether we like it or not, TP will continue to get his minutes.  He has for the last year and a half and I do not see any changes coming.  Basically Mills plays 8 guys unless the game is a blowout.  I was surprised that Herron did not see the court in the WIU blowout tonight.  Maybe they decide to red shirt him this year, after missing the first 12 games with an injury.

They said that Sir was still dealing with "nagging injuries".  Redshirting must be a consideration at this point.  He can contribute if he can get healed.

Phipps has to have dirt on  Mills or coach owes his dad a favor... TheEagleman is no basketball savant but even I can clearly see that #20 is overmatched against decent opposition....what's going on here? Inquiring minds want to know....😎

6 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

They said that Sir was still dealing with "nagging injuries".  Redshirting must be a consideration at this point.  He can contribute if he can get healed.

Ok agreed Bogus, Sir has had some injuries,

But I'm waiting for someone to tell me what Trey brings to the table and why he should be playing!! At this point I don't think he's a D1 guard!!

Someone please explain why I'm wrong!!!!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I'm ready, bring it on!!

Someone please tell me why Trey should be playing ahead of DJ, Sir Isaac, Dimari or Cam!  Maybe I'm missing something, or I just don't understand the game!!!

Just saying that's the way it is doesn't fly with me!! It's time for a change!!

Play our best coach!!!!!!!! 

Oh, please know SP that I am behind you all the way on your noble quest!

Monty Python Movie GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not that Trey needs defending, but coaches' sons usually have a soft spot in a head coach's heart.  The HC knows that the kid has lived and breathed the game of basketball all their lives.  They understand situations and protect the ball.  They are usually decent free throw shooters and can command the floor because of their basketball IQ.  He is not Max or Mackie by any stretch, but he does have an intangible that many players may not have.  And although his three point shooting has not produced fruit in recent games, a shooter know that he has to continue shooting to get his rhythm and "feel for the shot."

Should Trey play before some of the others?  Fortunately, we don't have to make that decision; however, I do know that Coach feels that he helps the team or he wouldn't play him otherwise. And there are many times when Mills doesn't play Trey in certain situations.

Trey is not the most talented, athletic, fill in the blank but he really loves the game and gives 110 percent.  The guy does seem to be at the right place at the right time, meaning: he often gets steals, rebounds, etc by simple court position.  I root for Trey because he is such an underdog.  He could star in an updated version of Hoosiers.

I second Cam as the guy, who's potential I'm dying to see's play out. He isn't the natural scorer like Max was, from the get go, but it sure seems like Mills knows how to attract a level of talent I'm not accustomed to in the past. 

4 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Should Trey play before some of the others?  Fortunately, I don't have to make that decision; however, I do know that Coach feels that he helps the team or he wouldn't play him otherwise. And there are many times when Mills doesn't play Trey in certain situations.

Bogus, I hate to disagree with you, but I don't think Trey helps the team now or in the future.

The reason coach doesn't play him in certain situations is he's so overmatched!!! He can't be on the court against good teams! 

Still waiting to hear what he does well??? Cam is the future not Trey!!!

10 minutes ago, SonofaLegend said:

I second Cam as the guy, who's potential I'm dying to see's play out. He isn't the natural scorer like Max was, from the get go, but it sure seems like Mills knows how to attract a level of talent I'm not accustomed to in the past. 

He's much more of a traditional distributor at the PG than Max is. Not that Max doesn't distribute, but Cam seems to always be looking to create a play for someone else. He's going to be a lot of fun to watch when he takes over. 

Unfortunately, I too agree that Cam can clearly hang getting real minutes in a way that Trey probably cannot. I love Trey's heart and effort, but it takes a lot more than just intensity at this level. Let's start getting Cam in at the 2 and see what happens. 

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman is sure that Trey is a nice kid who was probably an outstanding HS roundball player.....and I am just as sure that Paul Mills has a reason for playing him the minutes he does....maybe a good question for the Coaches' Show at Waldo's Chicken next week???....:hc_mills: