Central Arkansas at ORU

theeagleman5

A little bit about a lot:

• The new offensive ripples installed for TU (more cuts and post-ups, added emphasis on offensive rebounding, and fewer instances of all five players on the perimeter) swelled into an offensive tsunami Saturday night.
  • Bold Prediction:  ORU will win most games in which they shoot over 40% from the field and over 50% on threes. 😉
  • Max is REALLY back - talk about flipping a switch. Amazing turnaround. I loved the fact he came out aggressive:  “Forget this ‘getting everyone involved’ crap; I’m gettin’ mine!”.  Really aggressive on defense and rebounding proves that he’s completely engaged. He even blocked a jump shot on the baseline early in the first half. 
  • Carlos and Kareem are both stuffing the stat sheet; they seem so much more relaxed when Max is playing well. 
  • Issac is just waiting to go off for 25 or more in a game when it matters. 
  • Conner may not average as many points not shooting as many threes, but ORU is better when he’s utilized this way. 
  • Patrick is a dawwwwg. His energy is a joy to watch, and I think he inspires DJ when they are in the game together.  Fascinating 1-2 punch off the bench!
  • That covers all significant contributions.
  • Side note:  great to visit during the game with ORUTerry, tmh8286, and surprise guest TrueBlue82 all the way from Idaho!  
  • Upvote 2

Housekeeping:  Max has not yet eclipsed 2,000 points; he sits at 1,989 following Saturday night’s sparkling 31-point outburst.

So, two noteworthy milestones to anticipate Monday night vs. Liberty:  reaching 2,000 career points with 11 points, and moving past Ken Tutt (2,019 pts) into No. 7 all-time with another 31-point (or better) performance vs. the Flames.

Here’s hoping ORU’s PA announcer is a little bit better at recognizing Max’s achievements Monday night than he was on Saturday. His inability to ad lib off-script is reminiscent of Ron Burgandy’s reliance on teleprompters. 

anchorman stay classy GIF

The UCA game was an entertaining non-stop track meet with no field events.  I have to admit that I got tired just watching both teams surge back and forth.  The frenetic pace also led to some crazy turnovers on both sides, and some sloppiness in ORU’s ball handling is about the only small negative I saw in a very solid win.  

The high level of athleticism on the ORU roster is being more apparent in each game, and the tempo of the UCA game allowed many Eagles to showcase their talents.  Mwamba, Carlos and Kareem each had some eye-opening plays last night.  

And, while his numbers didn’t light up the scoreboard last night, I have to give another shoutout to Connor Vanover for a VERY efficient game.  He had two blocked shots (although it seemed like more to me) and several other misdirections in 19 minutes of play, shot 4-5 from the field, picked up four boards, two assists and no turnovers.  And, best of all, he committed ZERO personal fouls.  That’s incredible.   

Great game last night - and hoping for a similar result tomorrow night!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Some random observations from the game last night:

* I like this new offense that we have rolled out. It seems the players do too.

* Welcome back Max! Abmas was in a groove from the beginning of the game - on both offense and defense. He made a nice jab step/step back three point shot. Unstoppable. It was interesting that he didn’t attempt a shot until 3 or 4 minutes into the second half. 

* Lots to like about what Jurgens, Thompson and McBride did. Carlos is playing with a lot of confidence; shooting well from perimeter and driving to the basket. Kareem did not force things and did what he could to help the team. Isaac also drove into the lane to either dish the ball or shoot mid range shots. 

* I like Vanover focusing on the interior, although I don’t mind him shooting from the perimeter at times. He has great hands, as demonstrated when he got an awkward/off target pass but still converted it into a dunk. Impressive. He (and Weaver) were (wide) open numerous times in the pick and roll - but seldom got the entry pass. Gotta start making those passes. 

* Mwamba is a beast. He is so athletic and active. I think that his intensity is infectious. As OT said, when he is teamed with Weaver it gives us all kinds of options. Will be interesting to see when Herron is in the lineup.

* The team got sloppy with poor passes, etc. as the score expanded. I also think guys were looking to pad their stats a bit and I don’t mean assists. 

• Like 2

I am so glad to be wrong about the 19 point line being too high.  If this team continues to play smart basketball as they have over the last 2 games, they will maximize their opportunities and win a lot of games this season.

I am glad they are playing better as they head toward the conference portion of the schedule.  Should be a great game tomorrow night!