Central Arkansas at ORU

theeagleman5

24 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I grew up in a Methodist home.  My father used to say "The only thing Methodist about SMU is the middle name."  He had a very similar one liner about TCU.

You will find hardly any NCAA licensed merchandise with the name "Texas Christian University" on it; they want everyone to know them as the watered-down "TCU".

SMU and BYU have taken the same approach in recent years, though less aggressively.  SMU has of late used a lot of secular "Dallas" branding on merchandise and uniforms:

SMU Dallas branding.jpeg

The point being this:  I think Paul Mills enjoys the fact that ORU provides a bully pulpit to profess his faith; without fear of administration or booster backlash.  There aren't many schools that would encourage (or even permit) the sort of "Faith & Basketball" event planned for Monday morning, and if Coach Mills can continue to grow and succeed in his "profession" (pun intended), ORU will reap the benefits for years to come.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

TheEagleman is expecting this game tomorrow night to be very competitive....both are high scoring teams so the scoreboard operator should expect to get a good workout....hoping to see more of what we saw last Saturday from Mad Max and Mwamba.....should be close throughout with the Good Guys pulling away in the final 5-6 minutes.....Max puts up at least 25-30 and its ORU 89  UCA 79...GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

A little nugget that probably won't get mentioned before or after the game:  with a win Saturday night, Paul Mills' career record would be over .500 for the first time since the third game of his rookie season (currently 82-82 in his sixth year as a head coach).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Looking for the guys from Little Rock, Connor and McBride, to have big games.  UCA is close to that area and they may know some of these guys on the Bears team.  Hoping the Eagles can get out to a good start and not have to wake up at halftime.  On a side note, I went to UCA my sophmore year of college but ORU was a much better school!

ORU -15.5 sounds like way too many points.... TheEagleman wouldn't lay that number if he was allowed to bet....I would have to lay off...😲

For those who take note of this sort of thing:  ORU is 2-0 vs. the spread this season as a favorite, both on the road. 

• Upvote 1

This game has TRAP written all over it, with the crosstown rival in the rear view mirror, a week layoff, and a huge home game with Liberty coming on Monday.  

I would be more concerned, but I think the sting of last year’s ugly loss at UCA will be a STRONG motivator.  A double digit ORU win is a reasonable expectation.  And, after being present for tough losses at St. Mary’s and Utah State earlier this season, I’m coming to Tulsa tomorrow to see a WIN!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Another nugget for Saturday night, courtesy of the Tulsa World:  "At 1,957 career points, ORU senior point guard Max Abmas is 2 points away from surpassing Tim Gill to become ORU’s ninth all-time leading scorer. After that, he will be 120 points shy of jumping to fifth."

Check my math:  if Max averages a reasonable-for-him 25 points per game the rest of the year, he could pass No. 5 Dominique Morrison during this home stand,  No. 4 Anthony Roberts in early February, and No. 3 Caleb Green in the first round of the Summit League tournament.

Here's the list:

1. Greg Sutton (1988-91) - 3,070*

2. Richard Fuqua (1969-73) - 3,004**

3. Caleb Green (2003-07) - 2,503

4. Anthony Roberts (1973-77) - 2,341

5. Dominique Morrison (2008-12) - 2,080

6. Mark Acres (1981-85) - 2,038

7. Ken Tutt (2003-07) - 2,019

8. Warren Niles (2009-13) - 1,984

9. Tim Gill (1994-98) - 1,959

10. Max Abmas (2019-present) - 1,957

* Portion of career vs. NAIA competition.  ** Portion of career before ORU entered NCAA Division 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he pulls it off, and I believe he can, Max would be the only guy without asterisks and would have the most points in a D1/ORU jersey.  Correct?  If so, that’s a big deal!  

Anyone want to confirm how many points Fuqua and Sutton had against non D1 opponents?  

Rob

The Bears basically play 8 guys with 4 players scoring in double figures. They average 76.3 points per game shooting 43.2% (34.0% from 3pt on 26.1 attempts) while committing 14.0 turnovers and 13.3 assists per game. 

Top Players

Hunter (6’3”): 16.6 ppg with 39.2 FG% (26.8% 3-pt); 5 rpg and 4.1 assists. 

Kayouloud (6’7”): 14.9 ppg with 43.3 FG% (37.5% 3-pt); 6.3 rpg and 1.2 assists

Cooper (6’2”): 11.6 ppg with 40.5 FG% (42.6% 3-pt); 2.9 rpg and 1.2 assists

Olowokere (6’5”): 10.1 ppg with 54.9 FG% (33.3% 3-pt); 6.7 rpg and 1.8 assists

Kirsipuu (6’2”): 6.6 ppg with 39.0 FG% (39.1% 3-pt); 1.6 rpg and 2.3 assists. He is from Estonia. Wonder if Jurgens knows him?

Cato (6’8”): 4.6 ppg with 72.2 FG%; 3.4 rpg

Klintman (6’8”): 5.8 ppg with 40.0 FG%; 4.8 rpg and 1.7 assists

Reeves (6’5”): 2.3 ppg with 24.0 FG%; 1.1 rpg

The Bears take a lot of 3-pt shots and are streaky, inconsistent shooters. They also have decent size - which I suspect they will try to use to exploit us. I noticed that Herron was shown dunking the ball on an Instagram photo a couple of days ago. That means that he’s close to coming back. We need his size and athleticism 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORob1 said:

If he pulls it off, and I believe he can, Max would be the only guy without asterisks and would have the most points in a D1/ORU jersey.  Correct?  If so, that’s a big deal!  

Anyone want to confirm how many points Fuqua and Sutton had against non D1 opponents?  

Rob

Richard Fuqua played against many teams his junior and senior year that were similar to ORU:  they were good (some REALLY good), but not technically "major college" as it was called back then (such as Southwestern Louisiana with Dwight "Bo" Lamar).  They were only eligible for the NCAA tournament as at-large "independents" because they did not belong to a "major college" conference; many of them were decent competition on par with current low-to-mid majors. 

Greg Sutton played against a ridiculously difficult D1 schedule in 1988-89 in his first year at ORU before his next two seasons in NAIA.

Anybody in the top ten paid their dues, regardless of the competition.

• Upvote 4

Southwestern Louisiana as I am sure most of you already know, is now known as the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (ULL) or simply Louisiana.  The Ragin Cajuns are a member of the Sunbelt Conference and they are the 2nd largest university in Louisiana behind only LSU.

The current line I just saw was ORU as a 19 point favorite with a 161.5 over/under which translates to a 90-71 ORU win expectation.  

With ORU’s challenges on defense, I highly doubt they will beat very many D1 teams by 20 points.  I have recently watched them struggle to beat non D-1 teams by that margin (even though starters did not necessarily play their normal allotment of minutes in those games).

They clearly are playing better than a couple weeks ago and I certainly hope to see a 20+ point victory tonight, but I would definitely not bet on it.

43 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Southwestern Louisiana as I am sure most of you already know, is now known as the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (ULL) or simply Louisiana.  The Ragin Cajuns are a member of the Sunbelt Conference and they are the 2nd largest university in Louisiana behind only LSU.

It’s fascinating how many schools that back in the ‘70’s were considered “small college” have grown to mid-major or even power conference level:  Gonzaga, Utah State, Colorado State, Marshall, Davidson, East Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth and Virginia Tech, Central Florida, of course all the Dakota schools of late; the list goes on and on (but not to be confused with smaller old private schools that have ebbed and flowed over the years such as Villanova, Marquette, Loyola of Chicago, DePaul, Butler, etc.)

57 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Southwestern Louisiana as I am sure most of you already know, is now known as the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (ULL) or simply Louisiana.

Also known in slang as "La-La" (Louisiana Lafayette).

12 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

The Bears take a lot of 3-pt shots and are streaky, inconsistent shooters. 

Well, if ORU/Mabee Center live up to expectations Central Arkansas should have a stellar three-point-shooting night.

• Haha 2