Central Arkansas at ORU

theeagleman5

The Bears defeated Arkansas St. last night to improve to 5-4....UCA will not be a pushover at Mabee Center on Saturday Night in a game that kicks off a 5 game ORU homestand....TheEagleman is hoping that the Good Guys can shake off a weeks' worth of rust early in this contest...or perhaps a week of rest is a good thing.....and maybe our injured players like Sir Isaac will be ready to return?....:circle-logoi:

Eagleman great minds think alike! We were posting close to the same time. Can someone with superior tech skills please put my post under Eaglemans and erase my original post. I will never enter a gunfight against Eagleman... he is too quick at the trigger!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

An argument can be made that this is the toughest team ORU has faced so far this year, outside the three road losses. It’s easily the toughest opponent ORU has faced at home.

Gotta take care of business and ride that momentum from the TU win.  Curious to see if Patrick Mwamba plays at the same intensity level as last outing. 

• Upvote 1

From the coaches show last week, Sir Issac won’t be cleared to play any earlier than Monday the 12th.  But, maybe we will get more info during tomorrow’s coaches show.  

UCA is similar to Tulsa in that if ORU can slow down Cameron Hunter, much like they did Sam Griffin, then the Eagles will be fine.  If Hunter gets going and puts up big numbers then the Bears can be a dangerous team.  Guessing that Carlos will try and slow him down.  

Do you think the Eagles are out for a little revenge?  Last year they had maybe the worst game of the year versus UCA.  Max started out around 0-12 from the field and ORU trailed by 20 at one point before McBride had a big second half.  It was a real head scratcher of a game.  Max most likely remembers and wants to come out and show the Bears he is for real!

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, ORUJason said:

It’s pretty sad for TU if Central Arkansas would be considered a tougher opponent than TU.

Sad...but accurate:  Tulsa loses at home Wednesday night to Quad 4 Detroit Mercy.

A loss at home to Detroit Mercy? Just more solid evidence that TU sucks. 😬

• Haha 1

On channel 6 news at 10pm last night they showed the highlights of the TU -Mercy game. Wow the arena looked like a ghost town! Even at our lowest point I believe we had more fans than they did. Then this morning I saw a TU basketball commercial. A total waste of $ in my opinion. I wonder if the Hurricane siren they are playing at the games  are scaring people away?!

1 hour ago, eagle88 said:

... Then this morning I saw a TU basketball commercial. A total waste of $ in my opinion.

They've been advertising pretty hard around town this year. Billboards, radio ads, TV ads. Given the huge push they're making and the exciting new coach, I'm surprised they're having such a hard time getting people in there. 

Without a good product on the floor, I guess the whole "game experience" we've discussed the last few days is totally irrelevant.

I remember when ORU was doing the whole fireworks in the arena, cool starting lineups, game experience thing. It wasn’t very cool until the team started getting good. TU is probably 5 years or so behind ORU. I figure Konkol will get them playing pretty good in a few years. Of course, by then ORU will be a National Title contender so TU will still be behind ORU 😀

• Upvote 4

December is an important month for ORU basketball as is the rest of the season. We have a number of big holes to fill next year and how we do this year ie. make it to the Big Dance could well determine our recruiting success. It seems to me the really  good programs year in and year out built their success by getting a little better each year which allowed them to recruit better every year. With a state of the art athletic building nearly completed and our facilities getting better and better now winning consistently is a major key to our future success. 18, 19 and 20 year old athletes want to play where they can be successful and play in March madness. This really is a pivotal year in many ways!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

December is an important month for ORU basketball as is the rest of the season. We have a number of big holes to fill next year and how we do this year ie. make it to the Big Dance could well determine our recruiting success. It seems to me the really  good programs year in and year out built their success by getting a little better each year which allowed them to recruit better every year. With a state of the art athletic building nearly completed and our facilities getting better and better now winning consistently is a major key to our future success. 18, 19 and 20 year old athletes want to play where they can be successful and play in March madness. This really is a pivotal year in many ways!

Very astute post! This team, coupled with the struggles of the Dakota teams (and the rest of the league being very mediocre), we should roll to a conference regular season, tournament title, and 25 wins. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Indeed that is an astute post.  In fact, after the TU game,  I was texting with my friend whose son is playing at TU next year.  As I was explaining to him what a mature team we are I thought "Crap! (sorry if that's offensive) We are going to be losing a lot of major players after this year."  We need to make hay while the sun is shining.  Next year's roster will look quite a bit different.

What's unusual for a school ORU's size in this situation is there hasn't been - and won't likely be - a coaching change that might escalate a drop-off.

Most low-to-mid-majors lose their coaches to bigger schools right after they make the tournament and/or win 20 games, and if ORU makes the dance for a second time in three years, Paul Mills' name is likely to get bandied about.

But I get the distinct feeling Coach Mills isn't going anywhere soon, based on his long-term contract, the age of his daughters, and his heart-on-his-sleeve faith.

About the only school I could see him jumping to in the near future would be Baylor, and that job ain't opening up any time soon.  TCU and SMU are other possibilities that fit him geographically and (barely) philosophically, but I imagine all three of those schools would want splashy hires if they were to open up.

What remains to be seen is whether this staff can capitalize on any postseason success by hitting the jackpot in the spring signing window and/or the transfer portal, to prevent next season from becoming the dreaded "rebuilding year".

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

TCU and SMU are other possibilities that fit him geographically and (barely) philosophically,

I grew up in a Methodist home.  My father used to say "The only thing Methodist about SMU is the middle name."  He had a very similar one liner about TCU.