Connor Vanover Watch

Old Titan

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

So, here's the question:  is Conner back at ORU next season, or what?

If he doesn't turn pro, I would say that he will be back next year (I'm assuming that he has his COVID year or an unknown medical redshirt available).  There is no other place where his game has been better displayed than the offense that Paul Mills has designed. He shoots outside, he shoots inside, he blocks shots, he alters shots, he passes the ball. There is a lot that he can do to improve his game at this level in preparation for the next level, but money talks and he should go pro if the right opportunity presents itself.

• Upvote 4

It’s been great to watch him in person. Even when he doesn’t get credit for a block, he is such a disruption on many shots inside the paint. When the opponent has to adjust their trajectory they almost always miss - and badly. 
#condor

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

It’s been great to watch him in person. Even when he doesn’t get credit for a block, he is such a disruption on many shots inside the paint. When the opponent has to adjust their trajectory they almost always miss - and badly. 
#condor

So many ways Conner's mere presence in the paint alters the opponents' approach, from poor altered shots to no shot at all when they sense he's near.  

• Like 1

It's not inconceivable that Connor Vanover could be selected in the 2023 NBA Draft and Max Abmas might not....🤔

It is safe to say Connor is the most unique player ORU has ever had in the history of their basketball program.  He is a much better athlete than most would think.  It is interesting to see that he played high school basketball with Bol Bol.  How would anyone face a high school team with two 7 plus guys on it?  That is a tall order!  he he

I think Connor will get a chance in the G league next year.  So that will be his chance to show the big guys he can play in the NBA.  It will be all about what he does with that opportunity because I just do not see him getting drafted.  

If he is eligible, wouldn't Connor be a perfect candidate to come back for his covid season to develop physically and improve his inside game? Or is the G-league or overseas his best option? There are 9 players in NBA history who were listed at 7'4" or over. Of those 9, only Muresan, Bradley and Ming averaged over 5 points. Of those 3, Bradley seems to be the closes comparison. He averaged 8.1 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game. If Connor had another year to gain strength and skill at the collegiate level, I think he very well could be that type of player. Interested to know what the rest of you think.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree Dave 100% but Connor is a little older and I wouldn’t be surprised if he headed to the G League in hopes of an NBA career. I hope I’m wrong but that is what my gut is telling me.

26 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

I agree Dave 100% but Connor is a little older and I wouldn’t be surprised if he headed to the G League in hopes of an NBA career. I hope I’m wrong but that is what my gut is telling me.

Very possible that Connor could make more money in a NIL arrangement than he could in the G League.  If people around him were creative, they could put him in some very entertaining 30-second local commercials.  The Mrs. saw him at a Walmart recently where he was shopping from the TOP shelf as that was at his eye level.  I could see him in a Reasor's commercial or in a car commercial coming in (or out) of a Corvette or another smaller car with those legs.  He has some potential in the Oklahoma market.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Put him with Amanda Balionis in next season's Don Thornton Automotive Group commercial.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

Very possible that Connor could make more money in a NIL arrangement than he could in the G League.  If people around him were creative, they could put him in some very entertaining 30-second local commercials.  The Mrs. saw him at a Walmart recently where he was shopping from the TOP shelf as that was at his eye level.  I could see him in a Reasor's commercial or in a car commercial coming in (or out) of a Corvette or another smaller car with those legs.  He has some potential in the Oklahoma market.

Yep. The salary in the GLeague is right at $80,000 per year. Wondering what Max is making from NIL deals this year? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, we're coming down to the wire re: Conner breaking the ORU season record for blocked shots:

• The current record is 103 blocks, by Kendrick Moore in 2001-02.*
  • Conner stands so far at 78 blocks this year, with 6 regular season games and at least 1 post-season game in Sioux Falls.
  • At his current rate of 3.3 blocks per game, Conner could break the record in the Summit League Tournament finals in Sioux Falls.
  • With 4 blocks a game the rest of the season, Conner would break the record with his second block in the Summit League Tournament first round.
  • With four more blocks, Conner will move into No. 3 all-time for blocks in a season, passing Alvin Scott in 1976-77 and Shawn King in 2006-07 (tied at No. 4 with 81).  Kendrick Moore holds the No. 2 spot with 94 blocks in 2002-03.

*Blocked shot records at ORU date from only 1976 and do not account for likely-comparable blocks-per-season by Eddie Woods in the early 70's.

Connor would of course have all the blocked shot records if he comes back next year 🤩!  A guy who does not get much recognition for blocking shots is DJ Weaver.  He is currently #9 all time on ORU's blocked shot record and should finish the year #8 with four more blocked shots.  Great job DJ, just consistently blocking shots over 4 years!

Yeah, I love DJ's blocks! I often find myself laughing at the opponent, when they get blocked by Conner, "What did you think was going to happen!?", whereas Deshang has the ability to kind of come out of nowhere! We have a lot of talent on the defensive end! 

28 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

OK, we're coming down to the wire re: Conner breaking the ORU season record for blocked shots:

• The current record is 103 blocks, by Kendrick Moore in 2001-02.*
  • Conner stands so far at 78 blocks this year…

And if the ORU stat crew followed the “OldTitan and TrueBlue82 stat-keeping protocols”, he’d already have the all-time record! (Not to say that it wouldn’t have some “homer” bias).

I know that we’ve hashed this out before, but it is interesting, that of ORU’s 21 D-1 games, 11 have been on the road and 10 at home.  In those 11 road games, CV has 37 blocks, for an average of 3.36 bpg. In the ten home games, he has 25 blocks, for an average of 2.50 bpg.  That’s a pretty significant disparity, especially when you consider that the competition on the road has been much stiffer.

So, do I believe CV gets more “benefit of the doubt” of blocks on the road than he does at home, for some unknown reason?  Yes, I do, and I think that the numbers support that claim.  As to why?  I have no idea.

• Upvote 2