Connor Vanover Watch

Old Titan

In my opinion, the MVP so far this season is none other than Connor Vanover.  He may not be what some expected (he's a stretch 4, not a post player), but I think he's been great, and fascinating to watch.  He currently leads the team in scoring at 13.8 per game, and rebounds with 8.0.  And that's with three of the games in hostile enviroments vs. quality opponents.  He's shooting 38% from three (8-of-21), with only 1 turnover per game, and he's stayed out of foul trouble, a real concern with ORU's lack of frontline depth right now.

But it's Connor's shot blocking that's truly special.  At his current clip of 4.0 blocks per game, he could eclipse every individual record in the ORU books, and could consequently be the main factor in the team record for one season being broken as well. 

Would not be surprised if he breaks the single game mark of 9 blocks in the coming home stand; he was one shy of the mark with 8 vs. John Brown.  Heck, he might individually break the TEAM record for one game (13) if he gets enough minutes vs. these upcoming non-D1 schools (that record too was almost broken last week with 12 collectively vs. John Brown).

MOST BLOCKED SHOTS - INDIVIDUAL

• Game:  9, Kendrick Moore at Stephen F. Austin (12-14-02), Kendrick Moore vs. IUPUI (3-4-02), Antonio Martin vs. Okla. City (1-28-78), Alvin Scott vs. West Texas State (1-24-77)
  • Season: 103, Kendrick Moore (2001-02)
  • Career: 197, Kendrick Moore (2001-03)
  • Season Average Per Game: 3.35, Kendrick Moore (2002-03)
  • Career Average Per Game (min. 60 blocks):  3.34, Kendrick Moore (2001-03)

MOST BLOCKED SHOTS - TEAM

• Game: 13 vs. West Texas State (1-24-77); vs. Quincy (11-29-76)
  • Season: 199 (1976-77)

He's drawing notice nationally as well:

Very excited to watch his progression this season.  One of a kind player!

• Upvote 3

No comment.....Geez....TheEagleman appears to have really blown this one and shot off his mouth way too early.....I know....it isn't the first time....but again it's only four games thus far....let's see how this plays out thru the remainder of the OOC schedule.....but yeah, at this juncture Vanover has been better and more consistent than our star guard Max Abmas......😮

Connor adds a dimension that we haven't had in a while- shot alteration, shot blocking, rebounding combined with good shooting. I predict he will continue to improve as the season progresses. Even though he played at Cal and Arkansas he really hasn't had a lot of consistent playing time and experience so what he is getting at ORU is not only good for him but good for the team!

• Like 1

Can we let Connor go for a trip dub in one of these cakewalk home stand games? Let’s think of it as more free national marketing/exposure/recruiting tools

If you look at Connor's time with Arkansas then you see he had some good games versus top competition (Kentucky, Auburn, K State, etc) but it was never consistent.  Having Lufile go pro has given Plastic Man the green light to be in the man in the middle for ORU.  So far his defense has been better than it was with the Razorbacks.  He is blocking a lot more shots for the Eagles.  Connor also gets and down the floor quicker then you would expect.  He is an above average athlete for a 7'5 guy.

• Like 1

Kendrick Moore! Haven't heard that name in a while.

He was a funny dude. After his ORU career, he'd be up at Bally's and I'd wear him out in the low post. He had no answer for my old-school hook shot and would become infuriated every time I'd drop it on him. One day he finally blocked one and trash-talked me non stop!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Loved watching The Condor play in person at Homecoming! Here he is barely winning the opening tip. 🤣

Condor.jpg

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Great pic - Max looks like he's getting ready to signal for a fair catch.

And Bogus and Mrs. Smith are loving it from the third row...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Riddle me this:  though listed as a "Senior", Conner could come back as a "Super Senior" next year as part of the COVID-19-extra-year deal, right?

• 2018-19 - California
  • 2019-20 - (redshirt)
  • 2020-21 - Arkansas
  • 2021-22 - Arkansas
  • 2022-23 - Oral Roberts
  • 2023-24 - ???

"Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?"

matthew broderick school GIF

• Haha 1

Just like Kevin Obanor....Vanover might be eligible into his 30s.......😜

• Haha 2

What about the other seniors: are they eligible for a super senior year?  ORU has five seniors on the roster this year and some are already fifth year seniors (DJ and Carlos).  Not saying they would all come back but maybe a few could.

11 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

What about the other seniors: are they eligible for a super senior year?  ORU has five seniors on the roster this year and some are already fifth year seniors (DJ and Carlos).  Not saying they would all come back but maybe a few could.

Those five seniors are: Connor, Max, Kareem, Carlos and DJ

From my understanding of the COVID season rules, ALL of them would be eligible for an additional "Graduate" season.  I'm not 100% confident that this is correct, nor do I think that any/all would want to pursue an additional year, but I think that option is available.  We can only dream...

Connor should be one of the best big men in the Summit League.  I would give Grant Nelson (NDSU) a slight edge because he can do  a lot of what Plastic Man does (block shots, threes, rebounds, etc). but Nelson is much quicker in getting to the basket.

Following 7 blocks in limited action Saturday night vs. OBU, Conner takes the lead nationally in blocked shots in NCAA Division 1, averaging 4.6 rejections per game over five contests. 

6DAA2430-A69A-45A5-8167-F9EF85F3AEC9.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...