TSU

ORUalum

Even after the Monday Massacre, the early Vegas line is ORU - 5.0, with an O/U of 153.

The only plausible explanation for this is that the ESPN+ broadcast from Houston must have been blacked out in Vegas.  

• Upvote 1

Take the Tigers and the points.... TSU is rested and ready....Texas Southern 84 ORU 78....😬

I don't know what to expect tonight.  I don't know much about Texas Southern other than they are a prohibitive favorite in the SWAC this year and they slipped past Arizona State in overtime on their home floor Sunday afternoon.

I'm assuming ASU had at least similar if not better talent than ORU, and that the Sun Devils may have utilized an actual offense when they had the ball, so yeah:  I'm worried.

Here's hoping the threes are dropping for the Golden Eagles tonight, since that's the only weapon they are choosing to bring to the fight so far this season.

NOTE:  I will donate money to Paul Mills' favorite charity if anyone can produce documented evidence during an offensive possession (not an inbounds play) of an off-side backscreen that frees the cutter for an entry pass layup underneath.

Not holding my breath...or my checkbook.  #makemepay

• Haha 2

Not sure how good Arizona St. is this year but they were lucky to beat Tarleton State in their opener last week....so there's that......still TheEagleman can't see ORU winning tonight playing back to back games on the road....the Tigers are pretty good and tough at home....plus they are rested......hopefully the Good Guys put up a better fight this evening because dropping to 1-3 would be a bummer.....if they could get to 2-2 then we can't complain much.....GO BLUE!! :circle-logoi:

Not to take anything away from Texas Southern but if we ever hope to take the step to the next level we need to start winning games like this and playing better even with stiff competition.  If you want to run with the big dogs, you have to get off the porch and tonight is a time to get off the porch and step up our level of play.  Just my $.02.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Here's hoping the threes are dropping for the Golden Eagles tonight, since that's the only weapon they are choosing to bring to the fight so far this season

Which is pretty silly since nobody on this team has shown they can shoot this season.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Which is pretty silly since nobody on this team has shown they can shoot this season.

Which brings us to the 400-lb. gorilla in the room:  what the heck is bothering Max?

Injury, altered mechanics, pressure, whatever:  he's missing even wide-open shots and free throws.

Keeping any eye out for answers there as we move forward; all I know is he doesn't even look the same on his shot:  flat, hard and long on most of them. 

Where have the smooth, feathery rainbows of his sophomore year gone??

8 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I know that it's easy to make statistics do whatever you want, but I think one speaks volumes about our current rotation:

**The walk-on from the track team on our roster- Shannon, has more FG's and a higher per game scoring average than our sixth man through 3 games!!!**

I don't think coach Mills will change his system, but I hope he changes his rotation!!!  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Which brings us to the 400-lb. gorilla in the room:  what the heck is bothering Max?

Injury, altered mechanics, pressure, whatever:  he's missing even wide-open shots and free throws.

Keeping any eye out for answers there as we move forward; all I know is he doesn't even look the same on his shot:  flat, hard and long on most of them. 

Where have the smooth, feathery rainbows of his sophomore year gone??

I think part of Max's current scoring problems is the same as the teams struggles offensively, they are so married to the 3 that even it's not dropping they just keep shooting it. By now in Max's carrier, he should be scoring off the drive, in the mid-range, wherever he needs depending on what the D is focusing on taking away.

Instead of attacking the basket when they get pressured on the 3 ball, they don't curl when they come off the ball screen, they don't move in for the mid-range 15 footer when the 3's aren't dropping just to get a little higher % look. They just shoot the 3 with the defender all over them or just back up further and rush the shot.

Max and the whole team are forcing the 3's, rushing them, shooting off balance. I know it's coach Mills system, but we have to adjust somewhat- news flash- I think our opponents know what we want to do and are overplaying it!!  it's not a sign of failure- Let's adjust a little to what's going on in the games!! 

8 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I think part of Max's current scoring problems is the same as the teams struggles offensively, they are so married to the 3 that even it's not dropping they just keep shooting it. By now in Max's carrier, he should be scoring off the drive, in the mid-range, wherever he needs depending on what the D is focusing on taking away.

Instead of attacking the basket when they get pressured on the 3 ball, they don't curl when they come off the ball screen, they don't move in for the mid-range 15 footer when the 3's aren't dropping just to get a little higher % look. They just shoot the 3 with the defender all over them or just back up further and rush the shot.

Max and the whole team are forcing the 3's, rushing them, shooting off balance. I know it's coach Mills system, but we have to adjust somewhat- news flash- I think our opponents know what we want to do and are overplaying it!!  it's not a sign of failure- Let's adjust a little to what's going on in the games!! 

I hate the analytic-driven mantra of so many coaches in today's game of either "a three or attack the rim" with no room for mid-range shots.

ORU's guards are too small to get to the rim against quality opponents; instead of pulling up in the lane with their backs to the basket looking for an emergency kick-out, I wish they would sometimes just pull up and shoot a 10-to-15-footer.  Not only are they capable shooters from that distance, it might avoid the injuries they are risking by going all the way to the basket when contested.

AND ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE TEARDROPS FROM SIX FEET - THAT"S AN INCREDIBLY HARD SHOT TO MASTER!!

Hopefully after the debacle last night at Houston the good guys come out with a mission and vengeance tonight! We have too good of shooters to not stay competitive. I may be the only one but Ill predict a win for the Eagles tonight. 80-75

For ORU to have any chance tonight, they have to show up in the first half and not try and wake up in the second half by making a big comeback.  The Eagles trailed St. Mary's by 19, struggled to lead JB by 4, and were behind by 27 at halftime to Houston.   Just cannot bury yourself in a big hole and always expect to have some huge comeback in the second half.

• Like 1

Such an important early test of chemistry and "buy-in", and the only barometer on the November schedule that ranks anywhere between the "cupcakes-at-home-heavyweights-on-the-road" slate this month.

How ORU approaches this contest - both on the floor and the sidelines - could speak volumes re: what the team is truly made of this season when not playing the opposite ends of the college basketball spectrum.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

"cupcakes-at-home-heavyweights-on-the-road" slate this month.

OT is that the metaphor for tonight’s game that I can dutifully grind into dust sometime in the second half?

Eagles by double digits. Bounceback game for the good guys and trap game for Texas Southern with the ASU win Sunday and Houston tomorrow. After last night, it will be like playing on easy mode for the Eagles.

• Upvote 2