Max Abmas 2022-23 Accolades

Old Titan

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Not sure if this guy really knows anything or not… doesn’t mention his visit to Baylor

If you do a Twitter search of "Max Abmas", it's amazing how many so-called experts across the land have weighed in with one of the three following scenarios:

1. Max is definitely going to Texas.
  2. Max is definitely going to Kansas State.
  3. Max is definitely going to either Texas or Kansas State.

Baylor is not mentioned, neither is Wichita State (since Max started touring Big XII schools).

It's reminiscent of Max's tour of NBA teams in 2021, which stretched right up until the deadline day to return to college before the draft.

One thing that can certainly be said for Max:  the dude is thorough.

• Like 2

This isn't exactly an accolade, but I thought you all might get a kick out of this. 

Max & Scott Sutton at the same event--this Saturday. (Let me know if the link doesn't work for you.)

https://tulsaworld.com/lifestyles/recreation/shoot-for-the-center-horse-games-benefit-center-for-individuals-with-physical-challenges/article_c8b68d6c-e2a0-11ed-be32-fbc3f1629bff.html 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, titansforever said:

This isn't exactly an accolade, but I thought you all might get a kick out of this. 

Max & Scott Sutton at the same event--this Saturday. (Let me know if the link doesn't work for you.)

https://tulsaworld.com/lifestyles/recreation/shoot-for-the-center-horse-games-benefit-center-for-individuals-with-physical-challenges/article_c8b68d6c-e2a0-11ed-be32-fbc3f1629bff.html 

Hope Max makes up his mind before this event or the questions will be endless (and probably annoying).

Oh wow! You mean Max didn’t want to live in the bustling metropolis of Wichita? 😄

Would have liked Max to stay but good luck to him! He propelled the program to heights that hadn’t been seen in years! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Smart move by a smart guy. He will make connections in Austin that will profit him literally and figuratively for a lifetime. 

And Paul Mills draws at least some solace from the fact that, if not Wichita, at least not Kansas State. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This is Max's chance to shine the brightest as Texas will be in the spotlight/ESPN most of the year.  The Big 12 is definitely the toughest conference now that they have added Houston and others.  It is also a chance for Mid court Max to make a run in the NCAA tournament and maybe even get the attention of scouts again.  It will be interesting to see who the Longhorns put around him through the portal.  He could be Texas's best player in 23-24.

Well at least he didn’t take a pity visit to Wichita. Because that’s all it would have been.

I never knew how highly Wichita fans thought of themselves until reading that they thought they could compete with the likes of UT and KSU. Don’t they know that with the departure of Houston and Cincinnati and UCF and replacing them with the likes of UTSA and Rice and UNT that they’re going to turn into a 2-bid league? Talk about cannibalism within an already weakening league. Look at what the Missouri Valley has turned into. My goodness. 

• Like 1

Max is a Texan so choosing Texas makes a lot of sense. Max will be in the ORU pantheon of great basketball players and has been a wonderful ambassador for ORU. I will always appreciate him staying for two years after the Sweet 16 season when he could have transferred. Max might be going home, but his heart will still be with ORU. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Max might be going home, but his heart will still be with ORU. 

Max is the epitome of the athletic department's mission statement, "to provide a diploma in one hand, a championship ring on the other hand, and a spirit-empowered heart to change the world for Jesus."

• Upvote 3

Fascinating to wade through all the "Max Abmas" mentions on Twitter since the announcement.  Everything from the once-fawning KSU fans now eviscerating Max with every tweet, saying he's a crappy player from a crappy team, all the way to one Texas fan breathlessly predicting without irony that Max could this year threaten Pete Maravich's career scoring record of 3,667 points (with 2,562 points in four seasons, Max must average over 30 points-per-game this year to even approach that feat).

Must admit I found the response to the news on the Wichita State message board to be a little more civil than I expected, though there were a couple of points that resonated:  is floppy-haired and mercurial OU reserve transfer Bijan Cortes now the man driving the bus for the Shockers next season, and one fan wondering why none of ORU's many players in the portal have yet to pledge allegiance to Paul Mills in Wichita (not counting Joy, who as an incoming freshman is not technically a transfer).

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

and one fan wondering why none of ORU's many players in the portal have yet to pledge allegiance to Paul Mills in Wichita

Probably because players realize a jump from a 1-bid league to a 2-bid league is not worth the risk. 

52 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Probably because players realize a jump from a 1-bid league to a 2-bid league is not worth the risk. 

I fail to see how the American Conference in its new configuration will qualify annually as a multi-bid league.

They've barely earned multiple bids the past several seasons, and they're losing a couple of their top programs that earned several of those bids in Houston and Cincinnati.

I'll grant them two bids this next season with Florida Atlantic and probably Memphis, but beyond that the AAC resembles several other truly mid-major conferences such as the Missouri Valley or Horizon League who as often as not anymore get only their automatic qualifier in the dance.

• Upvote 1

Maybe the Longhorns will give ORU a game.....would surely pack Mabee Center.....but probably too much to ask for..... Image result for george costanza photos

Texas just built a new basketball arena that opened last season and it holds close to 19,000!  They might schedule ORU but have them come and play in their new stadium.  Max will get to compete next year in a building that is similar to a pro arena.