Max Abmas 2022-23 Accolades

Old Titan

40 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

He says Texas is still one of his choices.  Do they decommit to get a better NIL deal?

Supposedly so. Not sure. The other high school kid that committed went to the Australian pro league for more $$. 

I doubt Holland recommits to TX. Doesn't happen very often. 

Really hurts that team as he is probably a lottery pick after his freshman year. 

2 minutes ago, darrenj said:

Supposedly so. Not sure. The other high school kid that committed went to the Australian pro league for more $$. 

I doubt Holland recommits to TX. Doesn't happen very often. 

Really hurts that team as he is probably a lottery pick after his freshman year. 

I'm sure the NIL or possible overseas pro $$ is part of it. But I also wouldn't doubt it if he is genuinely concerned about the quality of the team next year, The shelves are pretty empty at this point. When he committed in Nov 2022, TX was a top 10 team with a hot new coach who had the program nationally prominent and a near future title contender that is now gone, the Sr. guards Carr & Rice are gone, So. guard Hunter wants to get into the draft and the 2 young guards of the future left via the portal and the other 5-star HS recruit is heading to Australia. They have Max and not really any other confirmed guards that will be on campus in the fall.  Holland and his family and whoever he's listening to could see TX as rebuilding and very possibly a lower half of the Big 12 team. The best HS player in TX and 2nd rated recruit in the country probably wants to be playing on the biggest college stage possible.

It doesn't hurt that by de-committing now his value is through the roof, every top team that lost players and hasn't brought in the players they hoped in the portal will be all over him and so will the ones who did get the players they wanted. I hope they have a large private airport near Duncanville High, because private jets from North Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucy, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan, Indiana and every other top program in the country are likely in the air right now!!

Max's commitment to Texas has in 24 hours gone from great news for Longhorn fans to almost irrelevant. Max though he was signing with a top program on the rise with a new coach that just went to the elite eight... to what is now a program with a fan base that is livid and a coach that is on a very hot seat. They have lost 2, 5-star HS recruits and have no incoming HS players and losing Holland the Texas HS player of the year, McDonalds All-American is devastating. Coach Terry has lost the TX state favorite son and to add insult to injury, Morris a former 5-star HS freshman guard who went into the portal committed to Kansas today, a nightmare 24 hours for coach & TX basketball. 

Max is now going into a very, very difficult situation. when the state university losses the state's top player it does not go over well and in Texas it is particularly upsetting! TX has only 2 guards on the roster, a coach who is now getting hammered by the fanbase and this is all in the last 24 hours. Max hasn't even gotten to the Houston, Kansas, Baylor and other Big 12 guards on the court yet!!

Welcome to the Longhorns and Big 12 Max!  7777 S. Lewis probably doesn't look so bad anymore, the grass may not always be greener!  

Texas is rebuilding this year and will need to find another 4-5 guys out of the portal to have a tournament team this year.  Maybe Max sees it as him being in an underdog role, which he has always thrived in.  No one expects much out of the Longhorns and if Max and this rebuilt team make it to the NCAA tournament then that is a good year for Texas.  

I never thought of Texas as a basketball school but more of a big time football college.  Yes, Rick Barnes had a few good years at UT and last year they were good but besides that they have been very up and down over the last 40-50 years.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Max and Texas have two games scheduled at Madison Square Garden in the Empire Classic.  That is a chance of a lifetime to play in that building in NYC.  The other teams are Louisville, Indiana, and UConn.  So he may get a shot at the national champs in the mecca of basketball arenas! 

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max and Texas have two games scheduled at Madison Square Garden in the Empire Classic.  That is a chance of a lifetime to play in that building in NYC.  The other teams are Louisville, Indiana, and UConn.  So he may get a shot at the national champs in the mecca of basketball arenas! 

That’s great! I have been to MSG a few times to see the Knicks! Max will do well. Best to him.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...