Max Abmas 2022-23 Accolades

Old Titan

On 2/6/2023 at 1:13 PM, OKC Eagle said:

From the article:

“Fans can support their favorite players in the remaining rounds by participating in Fan Voting, presented by Dell Technologies, starting Friday, February 10 on hoophallawards.com. The Fan Vote will count as one committee vote during the finalist selection process."

Don't forget to vote for Max (and Kevin while you're at it) TODAY!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TheEagleman is ALWAYS wearing his ORU gear when out and about.....and I have been stopped several times this past month by people asking me about ORU basketball and the University......and for some reason a lot of people don't know that we are in Oklahoma......still confusing us with Brigham Young I guess....lol.....just wondering if Max's #3 jersey will eventually be retired....guessing that will be the case and ORU won't be assigning #3 to another player anytime soon.....  Image result for Max Abmas

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is ALWAYS wearing his ORU gear when out and about.....and I have been stopped several times this past month by people asking me about ORU basketball and the University......and for some reason a lot of people don't know that we are in Oklahoma......still confusing us with Brigham Young I guess....lol.....just wondering if Max's #3 jersey will eventually be retired....guessing that will be the case and ORU won't be assigning #3 to another player anytime soon.....  Image result for Max Abmas

I’m not as popular as you @theeagleman5 but I have been to a Target and Buffalo Wild Wings and have been asked if I was a coach when wearing my ORU gear. 

• Upvote 2

Max just missed finishing in the top 50 of all time scoring leaders in D1.  He finished 51st, just 11 points shy of the top 50.  What a career for Mid Court Max!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max just missed finishing in the top 50 of all time scoring leaders in D1.  He finished 51st, just 11 points shy of the top 50.  What a career for Mid Court Max!  

He's done? For sure?

The general idea is no one knows for sure but it would seem like it.

1 hour ago, Texasgrip said:

He's done? For sure?

I say, he’ll be back but in a black and yellow uniform….🤮

If Max and/or Kareem wind up playing at WSU next season....TheEagleman is going to have a profanity laced tirade.....just warning you......Image result for Cosmo Kramer

• Haha 2

McFeely: Oral Roberts star Max Abmas enters transfer portal, and we'll miss him

Guard was two-time Summit League player of the year, averaged 23.5 points in conference last season

By Mike McFeely

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-oral-roberts-star-max-abmas-enters-transfer-portal-and-well-miss-him

FARGO — Can't speak for the rest of those interested in Summit League basketball, especially not the coaches who clearly have a different outlook than a media jackal, but I'll miss Max Abmas.

The guy was a pleasure to watch in the Summit League. From media row or a living room couch.

From the opposing bench, probably not so much.

The high-scoring guard from Oral Roberts entered the transfer portal Tuesday, ending his run in the conference in which North Dakota State plays.

Speculation: Abmas is likely to hook on with a high-major program that can offer significant name, image and likeness (NIL) money.
The obvious take is that he'll follow coach Paul Mills to Wichita State, where the former ORU coach upgraded after this season. Seems unlikely.

How much NIL cash is available at Wichita State compared to, say, Texas or Baylor?

Abmas would have free rein with Mills, no question. But maybe it's time to get paid instead.

While Abmas tried his fortune twice at the NBA Draft, including once being invited to the league's combine where top collegiate players showcase their talent, there's a pretty good chance a 5-foot-11 scorer is going to have a tough time having a career at the game's highest level.

Abmas is a terrific college player. Getting off a shot, getting to the rim and defending as a sub-6-footer is a different universe.

And Europe, well, the money overseas isn't what it used to be, I'm told. So the first consideration might be the bank account.

Good for him.

Bad for the Summit League, as frustrating as it was for other teams to watch Abmas hit jumpers from 25 feet or penetrate and kiss a soft, high-arcing layup off the glass for a bucket.

He was must-see basketball, the star of the league and a national media darling in a conference that simply doesn't generate a lot of heat. It was unfortunate Abmas played for a coach who generally wasn't well-liked around the league, by either opposing teams or the handful of non-fanboy media that covers the Summit, because the negativity muted some of the celebration around Abmas.

But in a league that produced Jon Konchar, Ben Woodside, Mike Daum, Baylor Scheierman and Grant Nelson among others, Abmas was the one who got the most national media attention. It was mostly because of ORU's run to the Sweet 16 in the COVID-impacted year of 2020-21, but it was still national attention.

Abmas averaged 23.5 points per game in the league last season, leading the Golden Eagles to an 18-0 regular season and a three-game sweep through the Summit League tournament in Sioux Falls, S.D. He won the conference's player of the year award, repeating the honor he won the first time in 2021.

Abmas averaged 25 points in three games against NDSU this past season, including a "quiet" 26 against the Bison in the league championship game. Over the years the Bison generally defended him as well as anybody, wanting to force Abmas into becoming a volume shooter to get his points. That is, make him take a bunch of shots to score 20-plus points.

They succeeded only once this year, keeping Abmas to 8 of 23 shooting (35%) for his 27 points in a 74-66 ORU victory in Tulsa late in the regular season. In his other two games against the Bison, Abmas combined to go 15 of 29 (52%) in a pair of blowout Golden Eagles victories.

Abmas was an all-timer in the Summit League. He'll be missed by some, although those on the sidelines probably won't be among them.

Mike McFeely is a columnist for The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead. He began working for The Forum in the 1980s while he was a student studying journalism at Minnesota State University Moorhead. He's been with The Forum full time since 1990, minus a six-year hiatus when he hosted a local radio talk-show.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2