ORU Bracketology and rankings for 2023

eagle88

25 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

I have to agree with TrueBlue and TMH here. Despite a high NET, it's very easy for the committee to say it's all built on those "worthless" Q4 wins. And as great a story as Max is, we're kidding ourselves if we think it's going to move the needle one bit in March Madness ratings. The committee puts in who they think are the best teams, and the metrics and their perceptions work heavily against mid-majors. And objectively, looking at ORU's performance in Q1 games, I hate to say but they may be right.

Win in Sioux Falls, but also win out for the best seed we've seen in a very long time.

Speaking of ratings, I think ORU would draw really well given your recent run.  Everyone will want to see if you can do it again!

Last year's Cinderella, the Saint Peter's Peacocks, is 9-12 (4-8 in conference) and #7 in conference standings.

9 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Last year's Cinderella, the Saint Peter's Peacocks, is 9-12 (4-8 in conference) and #7 in conference standings.

Their coach went to Seton Hall and took one of their best players, KC Ndefo with him.  Ndefo was one of 8 players who transfered from Saint Peter's after that magical run.  Context is everything.

That's one of the selling points for the committee in picking ORU as an at-large club:  three of the same starters (Abmas, Jurgens, and Thompson) and the same head coach that shocked Ohio State, Florida, and (nearly) Arkansas in 2021.

Proven commodity!

• Upvote 2

And by the way, I sincerely hope this "great" debate is purely hypothetical, that we win out and the only hard decision the committee has to make is whether we are an 8 or a 9 seed.  

:tb-white:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

That's one of the selling points for the committee in picking ORU as an at-large club:  three of the same starters (Abmas, Jurgens, and Thompson) and the same head coach that shocked Ohio State, Florida, and (nearly) Arkansas in 2021.

Proven commodity!

I would tend to agree, it would be hard to justify withholding a 25-5 ORU from one of the 68 spots, considering we have one of the most recognizable names in College basketball (at least to me he is)

I guess my question would be, who is on the selection committee? Is it a group advocating on behalf of the power 5? 

It would be jarring to lose in the summit tourney, if we drop another game this season, I would have to think it'd be before the summit tourney. Max in particular seems to have the ability to will this team to victory at times, but he isn't the only one. As the success grows, so does the trepidation, but I'm praying and believing in more Max March Madness Magic!

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, Old Titan said:

Here's a great site that reveals the AP Top 25 ballot of every voter.

ORU's two votes this week come from the same source:  The State (Columbia, SC) writer David Cloninger, who ranks the Golden Eagles at No. 24.

Interestingly, Kelly Hines of the Tulsa World, who (reluctantly it appeared) covered ORU's run in the 2021 NCAA tournament, is a voter but does not have ORU anywhere on her ballot.

Also includes a couple of great features:

• A "Compare Resumes" feature where you can compare the resumes of potential at-large teams.
  • A "Net Bracket" based on the NET rankings that has ORU as an ELEVEN seed (vs. No. 6 Duke).

Click on any voter's name to see their ballot:

• Thanks 2

Lunardi has #12 ORU vs. #5 Duke. Bring on the Blue Devils!!!...😎

New Mexico at Utah St tonight on FS1...interesting viewing for ORU fans....😎

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 12:34 PM, Old Titan said:

Stunning development as COLGATE sweeps westward to occupy the Rust Belt, though Elilandia does manage a toehold in the critical port city of Duluth, MN, on Lake Superior, with access to the other Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence Seaway, and the Atlantic Ocean...

Bill Murray Dalai Llama GIF

FAU loses to UAB another one bites the dust!!

On 1/31/2023 at 5:04 PM, Old Titan said:

Interestingly, Kelly Hines of the Tulsa World, who (reluctantly it appeared) covered ORU's run in the 2021 NCAA tournament, is a voter but does not have ORU anywhere on her ballot.

Does she still have you blocked on Twitter?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Does she still have you blocked on Twitter?

No, I finally got her to lift the ban.

Which is great, because I would sure hate to miss out on this brand of in-depth reporting:

simon cowell facepalm GIF

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

One possible way to deal with Ms. Hines should we be able to make a "run" in the Big Dance is to call on and answer every other reporter's questions and just ignore her.  Also, do not grant her access to either the team or the locker room. 

21 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

One possible way to deal with Ms. Hines should we be able to make a "run" in the Big Dance is to call on and answer every other reporter's questions and just ignore her.  Also, do not grant her access to either the team or the locker room. 

She's back to covering TU full-time this season, which must feel like a prison sentence.

Tulsa World legend Barry Lewis has been covering ORU this year (he's typically there stringing for the AP, anyway), though columnist Bill Haisten was at all three of the recent home games and logged stories on two of them.  Perhaps jockeying for a round-trip ticket to cover ORU should they make the NCAA tounament...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2