Meanwhile at 11th & Harvard...

Old Titan

• 4 months later...

Why is it every time I watch TU play football or basketball on TV, one of their players starts a fight?

Tonight’s example:  a highly entertaining and well-played 3-point loss to Charlotte in the Myrtle Beach Invitational ends with a TU player bowing up on a Charlotte player after the buzzer, the benches clear, and talented but high-strung juco transfer Degler for TU sucker-punches the postman for Charlotte. 

Curious to see if TU AD Rick Dickson punishes Degler in any way, or just ignores it like he does the football altercations (most recently last week in a loss at Memphis). 

Also tonight at 11th & Harvard:  I know it’s cold and there’s high school football playoffs tonight, but I still sincerely think that if ORU played Div. III (no-scolly) football, they would draw more fans than this:

52 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I know it’s cold and there’s high school football playoffs tonight...

Yes there was! I was there...it was cold: 

Keeping a watchful eye on the Fightin' Hurlicane leading up to the Dec. 3rd clash with ORU at the Reynolds Center (finally announced yesterday as a 2pm tip-off).

In the latest "class act" installment preceding the Sunday morning 3rd Place contest in Myrtle Beach, TU and Murray State get into a shoving match during pre-game lay-up drills when the Racers inexplicably decide to huddle on the TU side of the court; shoving ensues until refs quickly move in to break it up. 

Fast forward a couple of minutes to TU's opening possession, when mercurial point guard Sam Griffin splashes a three, taunts the Murray State bench, and promptly gets slapped with a T.

Griffin goes on to get benched for his actions, pouting through a 4-for-13 performance the rest of the way, as TU gets trounced 77-60 in a game they trailed by 15-to-20 most of the way. (FYI:  Murray State is really good and a borderline Top 25 team).

TU was without man-child juco transfer Tim Dalger, held out by new Hurlicane coach Eric Konkol for his fisticuffs at the end of their previous loss to Charlotte.

Next up:  Oklahoma State in Stillwater on Black Friday, their last contest before hosting ORU eight days later.

55 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Keeping a watchful eye on the Fightin' Hurlicane leading up to the Dec. 3rd clash with ORU at the Reynolds Center (finally announced yesterday as a 2pm tip-off).

Has anybody bought tickets for this? Would love to sit near some fellow ORU fans if I can. 

3 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Has anybody bought tickets for this? Would love to sit near some fellow ORU fans if I can. 

I’m going with a friend who has TU season tickets; gonna be stuck right there in the midst of the Blue (hair) & Gold (windbreaker) faithful.

• Like 1

Suffering through the first few minutes of TU at Oklahoma State and trying to convince myself these two teams are playing great defense and aren’t simply both really disfunctional offensively. 

4-0 Hurlicane at the first media timeout. 

Halftime in Stillwater; Cowboys taking advantage of size inside with 8 or so point-blank dunks, leading 41-29.

Grumpy TU players already getting chippy; another dust-up as in prior games seems almost inevitable.  No joy at all on this team; merely degrees of petulance in victory and defeat.

Can’t make this stuff up:  during an inbounds play under the basket trailing by 20 points early in the second half, TU player gets a Flagrant 2 technical foul and automatic ejection for banging the back of his clenched fist not once but TWICE into the groin of the OSU player trying to defend him. 

Talk about your dead ball fouls… 😉

Seriously, I’ve been documenting this for several games now:  this particular TU team has amassed enough evidence to qualify as the most classless bunch of cheap-shot artists I’ve ever seen.

And it’s just November…

Tulsa fans posting that the mad racketeer (Gaston-Chapman) has been guilty of this offense FIVE OR SIX TIMES this season, including earlier this game. To their credit, some are advocating a multi-game internal suspension.

I’ve been asked in a text whether a Flagrant 2 technical carries an automatic first half suspension for Gaston-Chapman in TU’s next game, which would be ORU next Saturday. I don’t know the rule; is that accurate?

Meanwhile, his TU teammates have quit on their new coach:  OSU leads 76-43 with 8 minutes left. 

TU was just knocked around like a rag doll most of the night.  Would expect their coach to give them the come to Jesus speech and they will be ready for ORU next week.  After the Eagles made the run to the Sweet 16 and beat Tulsa last year, one would think the Hurricane would be after some revenge. Never easy to win on the road, even when the bus trip is only 7 miles.

• 1 month later...

SMU men rout Tulsa to open AAC play

Headline in today’s Dallas Morning News. TU loses 92-67 in their conference opener. 

13 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

SMU men rout Tulsa to open AAC play

Headline in today’s Dallas Morning News. TU loses 92-67 in their conference opener. 

TU will be lucky to break 8 wins this season.  There are not many teams in the conference worse than TU.  Beating TU doesn't do much for our NET rankings.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta admit, this is a bucket-list thing for me that, under different circumstances physically, I would attend:

• Haha 1