Schedule 22-23

Keenan Henderson

Does anyone know if the students will still be on campus for the Liberty game?

5 minutes ago, dave said:

Does anyone know if the students will still be on campus for the Liberty game?

Mostly not. Final exams end on December 9. Maybe we could find an excuse to put them all in detention until the 13th???

I forgot ORU and Liberty have played once before:  back in 2006, the Golden Eagles thumped the Flames 90-58 in Provo, UT just 24 hours after falling to BYU in the Cougars' invitational tournament.

Would not be surprised once either team announces their full schedule that this is a multi-game deal.  Sure hope so; it's a natural rivalry on the making.

If so, maybe we can start awarding the inaugural "Minyard Cup" for the winner of this year's game (MM worked in both school's athletic departments; oh the stories he could probably tell!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Mostly not. Final exams end on December 9. Maybe we could find an excuse to put them all in detention until the 13th???

We should make tickets available for local (Tulsa) students that want to attend.  The LU/ORU match-up will make for a great marketing opportunity for ORU athletics.

Liberty returns 6 of their top 7 players from a 22-11 team.  Should be a tough matchup.  Good to see the Eagles scheduling some new tough mid majors: St. Mary's, Texas Southern, and Liberty.

This is a really nice match at home. Let’s hope it is the beginning of a long lasting series. Liberty has a decent amount of alumni in the region. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, titansforever said:

So are we probably just 2 or 3 games from having the entire schedule?

I think the NCAA limit is 29 regular season games, but the two "multi-team event" games (Houston and Texas Southern) do not count against that total, so we could have as many as 31 games on the schedule.  Based upon the current "known" schedule, plus the UTA/OSU games (with an opponent but no announced date) and the homecoming game (with a date but no announced opponent), our schedule includes 29 games.  I would expect the remaining adds to be two non-D1 opponents in Mabee Center games during the weeks before or after Thanksgiving.  If so, our non-conference schedule would have six home games and seven road contests, with home games (three non-D1, three mid-major) and road games (five mid-major, two P5).  With the quality of the mid-major opponents, I would call it an excellent schedule, especially given all of the reports of scheduling challenges.  And, having five of the seven road games in Texas and Oklahoma provide great recruiting exposure and solid fan road trips in areas with significant alumni!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

We should make tickets available for local (Tulsa) students that want to attend.  The LU/ORU match-up will make for a great marketing opportunity for ORU athletics.

I hope they come up with a marketing gimmick to pack the house. This is a huge "get" for the program and will possibly become a great rivalry. I'm in Pa and really hope there is a return game in Lynchburg next year.

In response to a couple of previous posts (and an ORU Athletics tweet) gushing about the Liberty match-up, am I missing something here when it comes to marquee games?

Remember it IS LIberty folks, not North Carolina.

WE all know the Flames are a challenging mid-major foe because we keep up with those sorts of things, but I seriously doubt this match-up moves the proverbial needle for the casual ticket-buying fan in Green Country.

I'm hopeful it's a decent crowd for a Monday night in December, but if anyone is expecting something off the charts in terms of attendance, I would temper your enthusiasm. 

Good ORU teams who hosted nationally-ranked New Mexico and SEC foe Missouri at similar dates on the calendar saw announced crowds in the 5-to-7-thousand range; I would be surprised if this game draws any more than that.

As usual, though, I hope I'm dead wromg...

Agree it's Liberty but still a huge step up from what we have been expecting (Haskell, SW Christian or UCO)......and yeah, not gonna be a crazy large crowd.....especially w/o the ORU student body......will be lucky to draw 5,000 tops but probably less unless a strange number of Liberty Alums show up at Mabee Center......😮

25 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Agree it's Liberty but still a huge step up from what we have been expecting (Haskell, SW Christian or UCO)......and yeah, not gonna be a crazy large crowd.....especially w/o the ORU student body......will be lucky to draw 5,000 tops but probably less unless a strange number of Liberty Alums show up at Mabee Center......😮

Yes, please don't take my diatribe the wrong way, anybody:  it's a FANTASTIC coup to be playing Liberty in the Mabee Center, particularly on short notice this season.

But, the ORU Athletics tweet about a possible sell-out was typical hyperbole. 

Why is there always such a rush to over-sell the product when it's already really good??

I'm reminded of a great quote I read once re: a big-time college football coach who lost his job due to falsifying employment details from decades before on his resume:

"It was like a mouse trying to elevate himself to chipmunk status, never realizing everyone already regarded him a lion."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Yes, please don't take my diatribe the wrong way, anybody:  it's a FANTASTIC coup to be playing Liberty in the Mabee Center, particularly on short notice this season.

But, the ORU Athletics tweet about a possible sell-out was typical hyperbole. 

Why is there always such a rush to over-sell the product when it's already really good??

I'm reminded of a great quote I read once re: a big-time college football coach who lost his job due to falsifying employment details from decades before on his resume:

"It was like a mouse trying to elevate himself to chipmunk status, never realizing everyone already regarded him a lion."

I agree Liberty isn't really going to move the needle outside of extremely plugged in college basketball fans.

It is a series that should have happened years ago though and considering the dregs that fans have had to sit through during recent seasons at home the Flames are a good addition.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I agree Liberty isn't really going to move the needle outside of extremely plugged in college basketball fans.

It is a series that should have happened years ago though and considering the dregs that fans have had to sit through during recent seasons at home the Flames are a good addition.

No doubt!  I’ve got it circled on my calendar for sure. 

But to beat the horse a little further, I’ve got a hard-core college basketball friend who joins me for 2-3 games a year in the Mabee Center, and I will beat bet* you money he will be inquiring about the SDSU and NDSU tickets first. 

Which, when you think about it, speaks to just how entertaining those two rivalries have become. 

* Thx, Bogus! 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

No doubt!  I’ve got it circled on my calendar for sure. 

But to beat the horse a little further, I’ve got a hard-core college basketball friend who joins me for 2-3 games a year in the Mabee Center, and I will beat you money he will be inquiring about the SDSU and NDSU tickets first. 

Which, when you think about it, speaks to just how entertaining those two rivalries have gotten. 

I would guess that he will ask for a conference game ticket than a ticket to an east coast team, but don't BEAT the money out of me, please!!  🤣

• Haha 1