Schedule 22-23

Keenan Henderson

That Denver game on New Year's Eve looks pretty tempting!  May have to drive the one hour trip and party like it is 1999!  Any takers?  Eagleman we can hit the clubs afterwards🤪!

LOL...my grandson lives in Boulder at CU and I would like to get out there for a visit  but not sure I can make that trip during the holidays....would be a fun trip for sure......😜

5 minutes ago, Dave Connor said:

He's on ORU's roster for this season.

Aha! I see him. Thanks.

I have seen Cam play. My hunch is he will be a really solid player for us. He is a hard worker, exudes confidence and sets goals!

• Like 2

Good to see all these new teams on ORU's schedule that the Eagles have probably never played in their history: Washington State, Saint Mary's, and Texas Southern!  ORU will also be getting some frequent flyer miles this year!  Hitting the West Coast, wonder if it has any recruiting angles?

This game makes sense - a companion to the St. Mary’s contest. ORU faces a formidable non conference schedule. The competition should prepare us well for conference play - if we don’t get too pummeled. 

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Good to see all these new teams on ORU's schedule that the Eagles have probably never played in their history: Washington State, Saint Mary's, and Texas Southern!  ORU will also be getting some frequent flyer miles this year!  Hitting the West Coast, wonder if it has any recruiting angles?

The Cougars were our first round opponent in the NCAA tourney about 15 years ago.  I believe they were a 2 seed and we were a 15.  Pretty sure that was during the Green/Tutt days…a game I thought we might be able to pull off.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

The Cougars were our first round opponent in the NCAA tourney about 15 years ago.  I believe they were a 2 seed and we were a 15.  Pretty sure that was during the Green/Tutt days…a game I thought we might be able to pull off.

I was at that NCAA game in Sacramento.  ORU (playing as a 14 seed) had Green/Tutt/King/Yemi/Liberty and Vealy/Ehambe as the sixth/seventh man.  ORU lead by eight with 1:54 left in the first half, but WSU closed it to two at the half on a momentum shifting slam dunk.  ORU lead for the first 18 seconds of the final half, and never again.  With nine minutes left, the Eagles were still within reach (trailing by six), but a four-and-a-half minute scoring drought killed any chance of an upset.  The Cougs lost to 6th seed Vanderbilt in the next round.

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

This game makes sense - a companion to the St. Mary’s contest. ORU faces a formidable non conference schedule. The competition should prepare us well for conference play - if we don’t get too pummeled. 

Odd scheduling travel-wise, as the two games in the west are ten days apart.  As such, ORU will return to the Midwest from the Bay Area, and then travel direct from the Houston/Texas Southern series to Washington State.  That will require three games in four days, with a very long travel day in between.  Tough!

Most of these games on the non-conference schedule are winnable: not saying the Eagles will be victorious every game but should have a chance against every opponent not named Houston (top 5 team).  Still waiting for Mills to have that big win in the non-conference schedule (not counting NCAA tournament).  We got spoiled with Sutton winning a lot of big-time games such as: Missouri, OSU, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas Tech, Stanford, Georgetown, etc.  With this year's strong roster, a good win against Washington State (PAC 12) would help the program to continue to make that climb.

• Like 1

Updated 8/10/22

NOVEMBER

Nov 7 (Mon) -- at St. Mary's

NOV 11 (FRI) -- TBD (Homecoming) 

Nov 14 (Mon) -- at Houston

Nov 15 (Tue) -- at Texas Southern

Nov. 17 (Thu — at Washington State

DECEMBER

Dec 3 (Sat) -- at Tulsa

DEC 10 (SAT) -- CENTRAL ARKANSAS

DEC 16 (FRI) -- MISSOURI STATE

DEC 19 (MON) -- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

DEC 21 (WED) -- SOUTH DAKOTA

TBD -- @ Oklahoma State, @ Texas-Arlington

i must concur with TrueBlue82:  the November travel is insane on its face; the competition makes it even worse. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Odd scheduling travel-wise, as the two games in the west are ten days apart.  As such, ORU will return to the Midwest from the Bay Area, and then travel direct from the Houston/Texas Southern series to Washington State.  That will require three games in four days, with a very long travel day in between.  Tough!

Thrilled with our schedule so far, but the trip to Pullman, WA. (which I've made) where Washington St. is located is the worst in college basketball!! First you have to fly to Seattle, then fly across the large state of Washington to Spokane, then bus 2 hours through rainy mountains to Pullman, which is such a small town most visiting teams stay 8 miles away in Moscow, Idaho because they have a Holiday Inn! 

Tough trip under normal conditions, brutal as the 3rd road game in 4 days, but these are the kind of games that make you better as a team. This is our best non-conference schedule in years!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ORU has a somewhat interesting connection with Washington State. Mark Wilson who was a guard on the ORU basketball team in the mid 80's, who played at my alma mater Carson High in CA., where former ORU basketball coach Dick Acres coached for many years, had a brother that played football at WSU.

Mike Wilson was an outstanding wide receiver in our very good high school football program, he became our main target after the departure of future long time Jets receiver Wesley Walker who also played at Carson High. Mike Wilson was an excellent basketball player that won an LA city HS championship and, oh yeah also won 3 Super Bowl rings as the 3rd receiver (behind Jerry Rice and Freddy Soloman) on the Joe Montana, Bill Walsh coached SF 49ers!! When you see old film of Jerry Rice catching one of his many TD's you will often see #85 come into the picture to congratulate him, that's Mike Wilson, brother of former ORU guard Mark Wilson!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Thrilled with our schedule so far, but the trip to Pullman, WA. (which I've made) where Washington St. is located is the worst in college basketball!! First you have to fly to Seattle, then fly across the large state of Washington to Spokane, then bus 2 hours through rainy mountains to Pullman, which is such a small town most visiting teams stay 8 miles away in Moscow, Idaho because they have a Holiday Inn! 

Tough trip under normal conditions, brutal as the 3rd road game in 4 days, but these are the kind of games that make you better as a team. This is our best non-conference schedule in years!! 

Thanks for the inside info!  If nothing else this will allow us to use our depth in these almost back-to-back to back games.  Herron, Williams, and Patrick should be of help in this brutal stretch.  

• Upvote 1

Love your story about Mike Wilson and your analysis about Pullman! I grew up in Spokane but lived in Pullman during 2nd grade. I went to my first Coug game at age 6 with my Dad and have been a loyal fan ever since. Out of high school I was recruited by WSU to play tennis and although it would have been a good experience I am so thankful ORU is where I ended up! Having made the trip to Pullman many times and seeing some epic Apple Cups  it is a tough place for an opposing team to travel to for the exact reasons  ORU 40 mentioned. As far as football is concerned the Cougs are my team but during the November battle between ORU and the Cougs my 100% loyalty is with the Eagles. What a GREAT non conference schedule the coaching staff has put together!!

• Like 2