Schedule 22-23

Keenan Henderson

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Southern, eastern, and western Texas aren't regional?

Colorado?

Louisiana?

Just askin'... 😉

Obviously, it depends how you define "regional."

UTEP is a 12 hour drive. Is that regional? 

https://state.1keydata.com/ncaa-division-1-schools-by-state.php

26 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Seems a bit later than usual...

5 hours ago, darrenj said:

Not if you have ever driven to El Paso!:)

Been there done that!🚗

• Haha 1

Other non-P5 D1's that I consider "regional" (in alphabetic order, for all you sleuths out there who might make something out of any other ranking).

• Houston
  • Louisiana Tech
  • Memphis
  • New Orleans
  • Rice
  • Sam Houston State
  • Stephen F. Austin
  • Tulane
  • UTEP
  • UT San Antonio
  • Nobody else in the Southland or Sun Belt or any other league qualifies for this list in context.

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Seems a bit later than usual...

I can recall a lot of times this game being played the first week of December, particularly when college schedules used to start later in November.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Other non-P5 D1's that I consider "regional" (in alphabetic order, for all you sleuths out there who might make something out of any other ranking).

• Houston
  • Louisiana Tech
  • Memphis
  • New Orleans
  • Rice
  • Sam Houston State
  • Stephen F. Austin
  • Tulane
  • UTEP
  • UT San Antonio
  • Nobody else in the Southland or Sun Belt or any other league qualifies for this list in context.

Houston with Kelvin Sampson's Oklahoma connections and Paul Mill's Houston connections could be a good home-and-home series; however, Houston does come to Tulsa every year for their conference game with TU.  Memphis would be in that same boat.

10 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Houston with Kelvin Sampson's Oklahoma connections and Paul Mill's Houston connections could be a good home-and-home series; however, Houston does come to Tulsa every year for their conference game with TU.  Memphis would be in that same boat.

I just think it's safe to say that NO P5 teams want to host those two squads this coming season...so who they gonna play?  😎

• Like 2

So, as of June 17th, here's how the 2022-23 non-conference D1 opponents are already shaping up:

• Dec. 3 (Sat) -- at Tulsa
  • Dec. 16 (Fri) -- MISSOURI STATE
  • TBD -- CENTRAL ARKANSAS
  • TBD -- at Oklahoma State
  • TBD -- at Texas-Arlington

...PLUS the rumor of a possible additional home game featuring a regional, non-P5 name.

Bottom Line:  this is a LOT further along on the non-conference schedule by this date than the past two COVID-affected off-seasons.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, darrenj said:

Not if you have ever driven to El Paso!:)

Exactly! 🤣

• 4 weeks later...

I gotta tell ya, it still bothers me that Paul Mills is on record as taking a dim view of exempt tournaments and apparently choosing not to play in them.

Take a look at this article:  almost three hundred  D-1 schools, of all shapes and sizes, think enough of the concept to have signed up for one of these events this coming season, and the schools listed with ORU at the end of the article without any dance partners so far dwell at the bottom of the barrel (with a couple of exceptions) when it comes to successful and/or tradition-rich programs:

So, let me get this straight:  somehow ORU has cornered the market on wisdom when it comes to participating in these tournaments, while over 80% of the D1 programs in America (and dozens of schools similar to ORU) are making some sort of mistake by playing in them?  Including (gasp!) Baylor??

Hubris much??

Not the first time Coach Mills has reminded me a bit of star-crossed former TU coach Doug Wojcik, who (for example) infamously once stated that corner threes were "a terrible shot" and "something we will never encourage at Tulsa", while his mentors Coach K and Tom Izzo were changing their own philosophies on the tactic to keep up with the times. (Update: the corner three is now a staple in basketball at all levels, Coach K and Tom Izzo are multi-championship Hall of Famers, and Doug Wojcik is no longer a D1 head coach). 

Sometimes, when the evidence is overwhelming, you have to step outside your comfort zone and admit that your previous way of doing things might not be the wisest course of action in the here-and-now.

Not saying  "Follow The Leader" is necessarily a great game to play all the time, but there IS a reason why it's typically a successful strategy...

• Upvote 1

Maybe a naive question, but what is the benefit of playing in these tournaments? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Maybe a naive question, but what is the benefit of playing in these tournaments? 

Short & sweet answer?

Games.

At a time when they are hard to come by. 

And not just for the sake of playing them. Some of ORU’s biggest P5 regular season wins in this century have come in these early tournaments:  Stanford, Miami, Georgetown, Oklahoma State in OKC, just to name a few.

Granted, the new formats that typically require playing on the home court of a couple of P5 teams before facing only low-to-mid-majors at the neutral site isn’t like the old days, it still affords better ORU teams the chance to make a splash against high-profile opponents (the Stanford win was at their place, for example). 

To me, the advantages far outweigh the negatives, and apparently I’m not alone in that assessment, as the participation level of low-to-mid-majors in these events would seem to bear out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yep....sounds like a no Brainer to get an extra 3 or 4 games each season....and against solid competition... someone will have to question Coach Mills about his concerns at his radio show in the fall....😮

• Like 2

Also, a nice recruiting tool, and potential travel experiences that might otherwise never happen for a lot of the players.  In fact, I’d think the staff would want to reward themselves and players for what must be brutal Summit League road trips in January and February.  🥶

Rob

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Short & sweet answer?

Games.

At a time when they are hard to come by. 

And not just for the sake of playing them. Some of ORU’s biggest P5 regular season wins in this century have come in these early tournaments:  Stanford, Miami, Georgetown, Oklahoma State in OKC, just to name a few.

Granted, the new formats that typically require playing on the home court of a couple of P5 teams before facing only low-to-mid-majors at the neutral site isn’t like the old days, it still affords better ORU teams the chance to make a splash against high-profile opponents (the Stanford win was at their place, for example). 

To me, the advantages far outweigh the negatives, and apparently I’m not alone in that assessment, as the participation level of low-to-mid-majors in these events would seem to bear out.

🎯  💯