Jeremy Hazell ???

ORUTerry

I would rather his true colors come through now and not have him on our team.  If he runs a scam like this, he obviously does not have the character we look for and appreciate at ORU. ORU students are held to a higher standard, (that?s our niche) he?s obviously not a good fit. This is our last year with Green and Tutt so it makes me angry that we won?t have an athletic wing to replace LO, but if it came down to it I would rather have a team I can be proud of on and off the court, than a winning team void of character.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vcboy2000

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Dr. Cornelius

Let's not get the cart before the horse.  We don't know he's running any sort of scam.  All we know is that he didn't qualify academically - and we only know that from third party sources. 

Let's hold off and know the facts before we judge the kid too harshly.

I agree. While him not qualifying looks very suspicious, it could just be what it is.

This is our last year with Green and Tutt so it makes me angry that we won?t have an athletic wing to replace LO, but if it came down to it I would rather have a team I can be proud of on and off the court, than a winning team void of character.

I agree that it's a blow not having someone that can step in and replace Green and Tutt.  I was counting on Hazell for the same thing.  We'll just have to see how things work out. 

Guest EagleBackr

Let's not get the cart before the horse.  We don't know he's running any sort of scam.  All we know is that he didn't qualify academically - and we only know that from third party sources. 

Let's hold off and know the facts before we judge the kid too harshly.

I didn't know he couldn't qualify academically.  That would change my attitude.  Do we know for a FACT that's the true reason he's not coming?  Do we even know for a FACT that he's not coming?

That's actually the point I was trying to make, EB.  We've only heard rumors from third parties that he didn't qualify - nothing concrete from the athletic department. 

As I said before, I think we need to wait till all the facts are made public before we judge the situation or the kid.

I think the only reason we don't know for a FACT that he is not coming is because we haven't heard it from Scott Sutton's mouth. BUT LOOK AT THE SIGNS PEOPLE!

He was playing his guts out in a summer tournament for 2007 and 2008 prospects.

Why is he even playing in summer league if he is allready signed and graduated? He should be headed to his school's campus like every other college signee in the class of 2006.

Did you not read the response to Terry's post from the rivals recruiting analyst? I know these guys aren't always 100% correct, but they can be a lot more close to the situation than most people. If he says that it looks like Hazell is heading back to prep school for another year then he has got to be getting that from somewhere?

Darren J alluding that we have another scholarship available.

My own source inside the VP Council at ORU has confirmed that the processing of paperwork for Hazell to begin school was halted back in April before it really got started.

I'm not saying anything like he didn't want to come to ORU so he flunked out on purpose. I'm just saying that you have to be almost blind or extremely optimistic to think that he will still be coming this year. We haven't heard anything from the athletic department about this, and I doubt that we will until the season starts. Hazell seems like a good kid, and I do hope that he ends up at ORU in the future. But I won't be holding my breath for this fall.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest EagleBackr

...more evidence that J.H. is spending his summer like a guy who is returning to high/prep school, and not like a guy enrolling at ORU in a few weeks:

http://www.drawingboard.simplysmartwebs.com/page/page/3586265.htm

According to this site (which tracks SoCal prospects), Hazell is leaning toward Tennessee.  Wonder what went wrong with this signing?

Did you notice the recruit coming to ORU from Kansas State in 2007. Will he take the scolly that Hazell evidently did not want?  :roll: What do we know about this Curtis Allen transfer?

As a coach that worked your tail off to get a guy like Hazel, I'm sure their had to be a little disappointment when they began to read the writing on the wall that he wouldn't be here this fall. Hopefully we can all see some of the rewards of all their hard work by signing some other really great players this fall. I tend to forget sometime that we still have some great recruiters on staff.

Now for more bad news: A friend of mine that works with the team has informed me that the only player that had qualified academically at the beginning of the summer was Kelvin Sango. I didn't realize the other kids were in trouble. This could be why nobody has seen Gaines or Robinson on campus. They are probably in summer school in their home towns.

Boy . . . hard to know what to make of the Hazell situation.  I was thinking about that today and was wondering if anyone had anything new.  Here's the original press release about his signing from the the ORU web site last fall:

"ORU Signs Two on First Day of Early Signing Period

11/09/2005

TULSA?Dominique Gaines (Muskogee, Okla.) and Jeremy Hazell (Bronx, N.Y.) have signed National Letters-of-Intent to play basketball at Oral Roberts University, ORU head coach Scott Sutton announced today.

Both players signed on the first day of the Early Signing Period, which runs through next Wednesday. . .

Hazell is a 6-4, 185-pound guard at The Patterson Prep School in Lenoir, N.C. Hazell, who played his senior season at Fremont High School in Los Angeles, Calif., is a key member of what is widely regarded as the nation's number one prep school team. Six of Hazell's teammates are ranked among the nation's top 25 players, and eight of his teammates have either signed with, or committed to play for, Division I schools.

"Jeremy is a very talented player," said Sutton. "He's extremely athletic and a terrific shooter. He's one of the more highly regarded recruits we've ever signed. Jeremy plays for the best prep school team in the country and, because he goes up against so many other great players in practice every day, he's going to continue to get better.

"With the loss of six seniors off this season's squad, Jeremy could have a big impact for us next season."

That sure READS like it was a commitment to me.  Talk about Tennessee could only mean he's off the table (and off the ORU roster) for 2006-7, I would think.

Now for more bad news: A friend of mine that works with the team has informed me that the only player that had qualified academically at the beginning of the summer was Kelvin Sango. I didn't realize the other kids were in trouble. This could be why nobody has seen Gaines or Robinson on campus. They are probably in summer school in their home towns.

That would be in keeping with something I heard last weekend that wasn't as specific but would go along with what you are saying.  I sure hope that our great recruiting class doesn't all unravel!  We need those players!  Have you heard anything about Shawn King?  One of my boys said he thought he saw him on campus a couple of weekends ago. 

As a coach that worked your tail off to get a guy like Hazel, I'm sure their had to be a little disappointment when they began to read the writing on the wall that he wouldn't be here this fall.

In the back of your mind, didn't you wonder a little bit why a guy as talented as Hazell would end up at ORU?  While we all hope, and even expect, that someday a player of his caliber will choose ORU because he likes the school and really wants to go there, he didn't seem to have quite the background for that to be the case.  In the meantime, his buddies are going to big time DI programs across the country. 

His grades were no doubt suspect from the beginning, and the coaches may have figured him as a long shot all along.  It's hard to know unless one of them chooses to tell us.

Guest EagleBackr

Did you notice the recruit coming to ORU from Kansas State in 2007. Will he take the scolly that Hazell evidently did not want?  :roll: What do we know about this Curtis Allen transfer?

I didn't even notice that blurb in the same article!  Here's a link to a story from the Kansas City Star regarding Allen leaving Kansas State.  At that time, he was wanting to play closer to his SoCal home, but if we got him, then great!

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14282327.htm

That would be in keeping with something I heard last weekend that wasn't as specific but would go along with what you are saying.  I sure hope that our great recruiting class doesn't all unravel!  We need those players!  Have you heard anything about Shawn King?  One of my boys said he thought he saw him on campus a couple of weekends ago. 

I also saw Shawn King up at the Mabee Center and wow he is really tall.  A bit of a wirey guy, but I look forward to seeing him play real tall and lanky.

Wrote that up on the 3rd under the Eddie Sutton article

Ugh! We need these guards!

Guys, don't panic just yet. Just because a player doesn't qualify at the beginning of the summer doesn't mean all hope is lost for them to play in the fall. There is still time.

I don't remember anything about Yemi being academically ineligible when he first came. He played I think a game or so as a freshman before redshirting. I'm pretty sure JB was ineligible when we first signed him, then he took a year of prep school and became eligible.

Larry Owens I believe was ineligible after we signed him, so he took a year off to do some classes at TCC. IMO that worked out for the better for us.