Jeremy Hazell ???

ORUTerry

I found this story about Jeremy Hazell via Google:

It is on a Rivals.com recruiting site. The camp was last weekend (June 3-4)

PANGOS CAMP SATURDAY RECAP

Jerry Meyer

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

Cypress, Calif.- Some of the top talent on the west coast and from across the country showed up for the Pangos Camp. Darnell Gant was one of the top prospects that caught the eye of Rivals.com.

(The article mentions several players and then comes to Hazell....)

Jeremy Hazell- Hazell was the guy that wore the wrong jersey and had everyone in the gym asking who number 49 was. Athletic with nice size for a wing, Hazell attacked the rim and drained three-pointers. Loves to play and compete. So much so, that I think he was doubling up by playing for more than one team. Does need to improve his ability to go left and sometimes forgets about his teammates.

Hazell has an offer from Oral Roberts and is also hearing from Oklahoma, Tennessee and Oregon.

Here is the link:

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=549701

Did I miss something, or didn't Hazell sign a letter of intent in the Fall with ORU? Would not be the first time that Rivals.com was wrong about something.

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/index_test.php?url_channel_id=2&url_subchannel_id=&url_publish_channel_id=3812&well_id=7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vcboy2000

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Dr. Cornelius

Guest EagleBackr
I found this story about Jeremy Hazell via Google:

It is on a Rivals.com recruiting site. The camp was last weekend (June 3-4)

PANGOS CAMP SATURDAY RECAP

Jerry Meyer

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

Cypress, Calif.- Some of the top talent on the west coast and from across the country showed up for the Pangos Camp. Darnell Gant was one of the top prospects that caught the eye of Rivals.com.

(The article mentions several players and then comes to Hazell....)

Jeremy Hazell- Hazell was the guy that wore the wrong jersey and had everyone in the gym asking who number 49 was. Athletic with nice size for a wing, Hazell attacked the rim and drained three-pointers. Loves to play and compete. So much so, that I think he was doubling up by playing for more than one team. Does need to improve his ability to go left and sometimes forgets about his teammates.

Hazell has an offer from Oral Roberts and is also hearing from Oklahoma, Tennessee and Oregon.

Here is the link:

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=549701

Did I miss something, or didn't Hazell sign a letter of intent in the Fall with ORU? Would not be the first time that Rivals.com was wrong about something.

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/index_test.php?url_channel_id=2&url_subchannel_id=&url_publish_channel_id=3812&well_id=7

...you answered your own question with the quotes from Coach Sutton. No way Coach would have commented on a player by name if he didn't have his signed LOI on his desk, because commenting publicly on un-signed recruits by name is an NCAA violation. Now, there's always the chance Hazell is getting cold feet, and frankly with his track record the past 2 years (Bronx-to-LA-to-East-Coast-prep-school), I would be surprised if he WASN'T a little shaky in his commitment to ORU! But, since he's already been to a prep school, if he wanted to go anywhere else in D-1, he would have to sit out one year AND lose his freshman year of eligibility. Don't see that happening, do you? Or, he could go to a non-D1, or to a juco for his freshman year, then pursue other options. We may just have to wait until school starts to make sure he's really here then!!

Yeah. It looks like OU's Coach Chapel is wasting no time in making enemies if he has people going after a kid that has already signed a NLOI. Just another reason to dislike K and everything Dook.

My sources in VP council say that Hazel is the only one he hasn't seen anything on (school papers). It's never good to jump to conclusions. There could be some things that he doesn't know, but it doesn't look good. Why would they wait this late in the summer to handle that stuff?.

Do you think this has anything to do with ORU being borderline on not being elligible for post season play if the mid-con doesn't add another school? If there are schools going after him, i'm sure that is what they are telling him.

If he is eligible, they are restricted from talking with him because he has signed a LOI with ORU. Not sure what the rules are if he is not eligible...

Ugh, it would be awful to lose this guy!

Guest EagleBackr
Do you think this has anything to do with ORU being borderline on not being elligible for post season play if the mid-con doesn't add another school? If there are schools going after him, i'm sure that is what they are telling him.

...might have more to with his ability to COMMIT to anything being "borderline"! This guy's been all over the map lately...

He has the 'ability' - and indeed has signed a LOI so he has committed. It's his willingness that is in question.

If Joey Odom was running the show, Joey Odom wouldn't stand for this nonsense. Joey Odom would find Hazell and set him straight so that neither Joey Odom nor anybody else had any doubt of his intentions cause Joey Odom doesn't take crap from anybody. And that's what Joey Odom would do.

Scout.com said he was a super pick-up for us, and Rivals.com has given him 3 stars. I tried to log onto their message board to ask Jerry Meyer what he knew since he did the article about him just being a verbal to us (he responds to all kinds of questions about players on that board), but you have to be a paid member to that specific site before they let you post. I know OU, who was reported to have been an option for him, have just signed another teammate of his from the Patterson School in NC. Hopefully it ends there.

With the trouble OU has had in the recruiting area, I seriously doubt Capel was speaking with Hazell. Since he has already signed a LOI with ORU, that would be a major no-no. Almost everyone on that Patterson team signed LOI's with D-1 (major) programs.

The kid OU signed (last Fall) was Tony Crocker. I think he is the only one that did not bolt when Sampson left for Indiana. Some of Jeremy's teammates signed with: Arizona, Nebraska, Washington, College of Charleston, Memphis, Charlotte, etc. One kid is listed as an NBA candidate.

OU also signed another Patterson School prospect besides the guys previously mentioned. It was in the sports page of the TW yesterday. I can't remember the guys name, but I think he was a point guard.

From the June 10th Tulsa World (the on-line version is now free):

Capel signs recruit:

Coach Jeff Capel announced the signing of his first recruit since he arrived at Oklahoma.

Bobby Maze, a 6-foot-2 guard from The Patterson School in Lenoir, N.C., has signed a financial aid agreement and will attend Oklahoma beginning this fall.

Maze averaged 14 points, five assists and three steals last season and joins Patterson teammate Tony Crocker in Oklahoma's signing class. Forward Keith Clark of Putnam City High School in Oklahoma City has also signed to play for Capel next season.

Patterson School link:

http://www.pattersonschool.org/athletics/prepbasketball/preproster.htm

Thanks for posting the article, Terry. I got some info about Hazell today that I can't mention on here. It offered no concrete evidence as to if he will become a Golden Eagle or not next year, but it sure doesn't strengthen his case for coming here. This could be old information as it was informed to my informant back in early April. That means either this information holds no bearing, or the folks in our dept. knew he was not coming back then.

The only thing that makes 'sense' (if he is not coming) is that he did not make his grades at prep school. Choosing not to come to ORU after signing a LOI is not logical given that he would have to sit out a year AND lose a year of eligibility. Let's hope this is just all conjecture. Surely none of the other schools mentioned as pursuing him tampered with him in any way......

I would think that someone would know the truth about this kid and not just guess. Surely the insiders will know eh? Where is DarrenJ? He said not too long ago that someone might be either leaving or somthing to that effect. :roll:

Oh, they do know the truth, Grad. They're just not saying, and I don't blame them. I forgot about what Darren J said about us having another player we could scholarship. If the coaches knew back in April we weren't gonna get Hazel, that could be why they went after Sango so hard.