Jeremy Hazell ???

ORUTerry

Surely none of the other schools mentioned as pursuing him tampered with him in any way......

Of course not.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vcboy2000

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• Dr. Cornelius

Okay, if Hazell is a 'no-show', what does that mean for next year's team? I think some of us were looking at him to replace Larry Owens' ( :mrgreen:) athleticism on the wing. I think the addition of Sango (JC player from NEO) will help in this regard. I also think Justin Robinson (at 6'3") or Yemi (at 6'9") can also provide some options at that position. As we have said before, three of the positions seem to be sewn up: point guard - Adam Liberty; shooting guard - Ken Tutt; power forward - Caleb Green. The center position will see a battle between Shawn King and Marchello Vealy - though the two seem to be different types of players. Vealy could also battle for the small forward/wing position along with Kevin Sango and Moses Ehambe. Sylvester Spicer should also provide back up minutes in the post.

The following is an excerpt from the NY Times Horoscope Section for whatever Hazell's sign is (well not really, but I'm bored so let's play along) -

You will be tempted to back out from a major committment. If you do this, terrible things will happen. You will lose your touch from outside the arc, your legs will move as if made of bricks, and your coordination will be as if you have had seven shots of tequila before any given athletic performance. You will also develop a large rash and strange odor, causing people to flee in all directions at the very sight of you, and one morning you will randomly wake up to  :mrgreen:. If you follow through with your commitment, however, you will live long, prosper, perform beyond expectations, everyone will like you, the stock market will go up, oil prices will go down, you will win the lottery twice, and earn an endorsement deal from Nike 2 years after you graduate college. And then you'll tithe, or else it doesn't count.  :-P

Hazell, don't leave, we need you!

While he would be a major boost to our talent level next year, I think we will still be very solid without him (if he doesn't come). We will still have Caleb and Ken Tutt. Adding a Kelvin Sango and Adam Liberty can really make that a lethal mix. We can't forget about Marchello Vealy who had a really strong showing toward the end of the season. I think he would be great as a slasher more than Yemi. Either way, Yemi or Chello can definitely help out on the glass. I would love to be pleasantly surprised with Justin Robinson next year as well  :lol: .

I would love to have Hazell on campus next year, but if the reports I am hearing are correct I have a great deal of respect for our athletic department.

I have not seen Robinson play, but someone in my office has and says he is a solid player. This person said that Justin is athletic and plays hard on both sides of the court. At 6'3", he is taller than the typical guard we have recruited in the past.... so is Marquis Gaines. I suspect that Gaines is a red-shirt candidate.

We will miss Mickey in the post.... nothing like a 280 lb body to clear out the middle. But Vealy, Yemi and Spicer (the coaches really like his toughness) should provide rebounding to compliment Green. Throw in Sango, who can also crash the boards, and we should be okay. We shouldn't forget about Ehambe either. He showed flashes of his shooting ability last year and he is also athletic. The coaches have a myriad of choices/combinations to work with.

We can't forget about Marchello Vealy who had a really strong showing toward the end of the season.

Good point. If Marchello can improve his play at the defensive end I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting.

In some respects I don't think Hazell's greatest value will come next year, but in the years to follow.  The Dynamic Duo provide most of the fire power we need for next year (barring further injuries), but who will be the go-to guy be after that?  That was the more important advantage of picking up a player of Hazell's caliber in my mind.

I posted a question on the Rivals.com recruiting message board and here is the response:

It looks like he is taking his sixth year of high school. Obviously, grades will be an issue. Not sure if he/or ORU decide to stick with each other. Will find out.

Justin Young

National Basketball Recruiting Analyst

Rivals.com

That's what my reports said too, Terry. I would hope ORU would stick with him, but the question will probably be will he stick with ORU? If he takes another year of high school, does that mean he'll only have 3 years of elligibility?

Think that's why we were able to sign such a high profile player in the first place - questionable qualifier?  As everyone knows, that's how we've picked up quite a few of our recruits in the Scott Sutton era, including JB and LO. 

So is this a done deal?  Or is there still a chance he'll be here next year?  Hope we don't end up losing out on him completely due to this situation.  If he starts getting offers from high majors over the next year, it would be tempting for him to dump ORU.  On the other hand, if we were able to still get him, he would come in with the experience of a JC recruit, but would still have four years of eligibility.  Hmmmmm . . .

So if Hazell stays another year at Patterson (or elsewhere) does that mean he is no longer bound by Letter of Intent?

It is pretty much a done deal. Hazell would be here by now or at least would have started the paperwork process if he were indeed coming this fall. The fact that he was playing in Pangos (full of class of 2007 and 2008 prospects) validates what Justin Young has reported to Terry. His NLOI is no longer binding since he did not graduate this year. He will be fair game for any team that want's to take a chance on him. I am hoping that whatever he does, he really takes the time to hit the books this year. They can't hold him back at Patterson forever.

Hmm....being the conspiracy theorist that I am:

Any chance Hazell pulled up on his grades with the idea that he could jump to a bigger, better, school if he stayed back one more year?

Not that he would have personally known other schools to be interested.  Surely he only "heard" of outside interest "through the grapevine."  :wink:

just a thought...

I'm sure that Hazell might be interested in bigger offers (who wouldn't) but I seriously doubt he would deliberately hold himself back an another year. I doubt he's all too thrilled. I just hope this doesn't turn into another Cam Tragardh situation where we end up watching Hazell put up big numbers for another team.

"Big numbers" is right, Doc. 

"Basketball Career: Played for Oral Roberts University in NCAA Division 1 in 2002 and 2003 ? scored 47 points in the QABL in June 2003 for Southwest Metro ? led the ABA nationally in scoring in 2002 with 34 points per game ? was a member of the Australian team at the 2003 World University Games in Daegu, Korea ? has shot 44% from the field in both 2004 and 2005 for the Crocs."

Good link to info about Cameron.

Nice catch about Cameron Tragardh Doc......

The information I saw indicated that several big name schools (including Oklahoma and Tennessee) are recruiting Hazell now. Who knows what the kid is thinking. Hopefully he will apply himself and attend to his education. Basketball is only a small part of his life.... his education will sustain him (and his career) for that part (vast majority) of his life beyond hoops. I hope he is getting wise counsel - and listening to it.

Guest EagleBackr

"sixth year of high school"?!?  "choosing to stay in prep school one more year"?!?  WHAT THE HECK'S GOING ON HERE?!?  I've never heard of such a thing!  Since when can you "opt out" of graduating from high school?!?  I tell you what - these prep schools are on their last legs as far as the NCAA is concerned anyway, and this kind of cr@p can't help their cause.  If he actually is "hiding" in prep school one more year ON SCHOLARSHIP just so he can try to get a better offer from another college, then I hope the NCAA comes down HARD on these ivy-covered basketball factories before he goes, and he either has to honor his LOI to ORU NEXT SEASON or he loses a year of eligibility at the D-1 level.  WE COULD HAVE USED THAT SCHOLLY ON SOMEONE ELSE IN THE SPRING IF WE HAD KNOWN HE MIGHT/COULD OPT OUT OF IT!!! :x

There is an NCAA rule that if you attend prep school after graduating (5th year) then you don't have a red-shirt year in college. They should make one that states if you go to school 6th year at prep school then you lose a year of elligibility. That would suck for Hazell because he would almost have to lose a year anyway because he wouldn't have qualified anywhere. Either that or go to Juco where he loses a year anyway. There should be no getting around it.