So. Dakota St. at ORU

theeagleman5

Quick thoughts on a busy Friday:

• Incredible atmosphere; fun night; entertaining game.

• Appel career high before last night: 20 points. ORU made him into a superstar with the bewildering defensive “strategery”. #smh

• Free throws don’t really matter…till they do. Should have won in regulation; could have won in overtime, if “we” hit our free throws. 

• SDSU such an unlikeable team due to bush-league antics of Schiermann, Appel, and head coach Henderson. Seems to be a chronic Jackrabbit affliction. 

• Poorly officiated game; no consistency.

• Crowd does NOT need help of PA announcer and hype man singing to “Sweet Caroline”. In fact, they ruin it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Random thoughts:

• Nice crowd and atmosphere last night. Lots of offense and a fun game to watch
  • We almost (should have) won with little contributions from Lacis, Thompson and Weaver. Jurgens really stepped up. Thompson seemed hesitant at times and missed several makeable shots.  
  • I think Appel was averaging 8-9 points per game until last night. We needed to work harder to deny the ball to him so low in the post. He chirping and taunting during the game was bush league and was surprised the SDSU coach allows it. The referee had to intervene a couple of times as he was constantly trying to bait Lufile - yelling right in his ear. I understand some talking and even trash talking, but he was over the top and a bit classless.
  • Referees missed a lot of calls from my vantage point...
  • Free throws..... we missed our and they made theirs. Cost us the game.
  • Tough, tough loss. Not on par with the loss to Oakland in the championship game - but right up there. A win last night put us in position to capture 2nd place.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbitfarmer said:

Be careful what coaching staff you are losing respect for… In game trash-talking is part of the game.  If you want Appel to be quiet then stop him.

The game was very entertaining to watch.  I think both fan bases enjoyed it besides the ending.  Hopefully they can meet again at SLT.

Farmer:

It was a great game and we enjoyed it very much.  I understand trash talking IS GOING TO HAPPEN, but it’s NOT “part of the game”. It’s not mentioned in the rules and there’s no reward or penalty for it. Personally, I would want to be sportsmanlike and prefer to win gracefully and professionally and earn respect from opponents, fans refs, etc…congrats on the big win and a fantastic season.  

Rob

Could it be that they were intentionally trash talking Lufile, due to what happened at NDSU? Trying to bait him into a tech or worse? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Huh! I always thought Dr Hatchett in his black and white striped ref shirt was keeping the box score. 

Lavoy kept the official scorebook.

What OT is talking about is the stat crew. This is where the box score comes from. Different animal. 

8 hours ago, Rabbitfarmer said:

Be careful what coaching staff you are losing respect for… In game trash-talking is part of the game.  If you want Appel to be quiet then stop him.

Go back to your 5-member message board with all of its witty banter and razor-sharp analysis.

tired sleep GIF

• Haha 3

Great takes by OT and ORUTerry.  Enjoyed meeting ORob1 last night.  A 13-hour drive is a true commitment!

1. I know DJ wishes he had made one of those free throws.  I certainly do as well.

2. SDSU is well coached and operates their offense very efficiently based on the talent of the players that they have.  If you can back other teams down and score in the post in an old-school manner, you will shoot a high percentage and will be difficult to beat.  Their style leads to consistent scoring on a game to game basis and that is why they are 17-0 in conference play.

3. The refs seemed to protect Scheierman and were hesistant to call fouls on him, especially as he routinely used his arm to clear out the defender. 

4. In general, refs have to call charges in order to prevent Shaq/Lebron style basketball where the offensive player simply becomes a running back and can just run over the defender while if the defender touches the offensive player it is a foul.

5. Coach Mills did not start Lufile to begin the 2nd half and we quickly lost our 9-point lead while Lufile sat at the scorer's table waiting to check into the game.  Lufile needs to start every game.  He defended well until he got his 3rd/4th fouls.  Then he had to back off in order to stay in the game. 

6. This loss is largely on Coach Mills for not playing Lufile earlier in the 1st and 2nd half when we gave up probably 20 points in easy buckets and for not providing help defense in the post when it was clear we needed it.

7. The SDSU offensive approach leads to more consistent scoring than our philosophy of hoping we are hot from 3-point range.

8. When we run a more motion-oriented offense with ball movement around the perimeter and finding the open man, we get easier baskets and shoot a higher percentage.  When we drive to the basket with our shorter guards, it often leads to turnovers, forced shots, and fouls that should be called but usually aren't.

9.  We need to run some set plays where Abmas can wrap around other players and use them as screens to get open 3-point shots like Bill Self used to do for Tim Gill.  Max has such a quick shot and he can absolutely catch and shoot.  He is now being forced to create his own open 3-point shot and it leads to a lot of off balance looks that are usually missed.

10.  I love the attitude and heart of this team.  SDSU and NDSU are good teams, but if we have the right approach and execution, we can beat them both in Sioux Falls if the refs will be objective.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Go back to your 5-member message board with all of its witty banter and razor-sharp analysis.

tired sleep GIF

For real. Be careful or what?  

39 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Lavoy kept the official scorebook.

What OT is talking about is the stat crew. This is where the box score comes from. Different animal. 

Thanks for the clarification. 

The game was not only a poorly officiated game but it was a lopsided poorly officiated game! It was one of the most blatantly, obvious demonstrations  of bias and cheating i have ever witnessed. Like many of you i have played in many competitive sporting events. Some i have won and others i lost and on the rare occasion i got my a$$ kicked. In all 3 scenarios when the playing field was level i took a loss graciously. However in the event like we all witnessed last night one cannot take the loss graciously! Believe me I understand and have heard many people say if DJ had made one free throw at the end we would have won. Very true statement but that does not negate the cheating! Appel clearly traveled at the end of regulation and that call would have given us the W! If ORU has to make a huge amount of free throws every night in order to win against corrupt officiating that will not always happen. I talked to Max Abmas's Dad and he along with others said the officiating crew are from the Dakotas and are clearly biased towards those teams. This is not right and these guys should be banned from officiating if they can not ref fairly! I for one will be contacting the Summit League to express my concern. I encourage others to do the same! Every team in college basketball deserves to be treated fairly. The players work hard and deserve better than what we witnessed last night and so do us fans!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Refs lost you guys the game?  Give me a break.  Can’t handle someone talking smack? What kind of kindergarten society do we live in?  Do you not remember your coach and a few of your players acting out 8 days ago?

It was a good game there’s always calls that could go both ways.  If Lufille doesn’t fall for every pump fake thrown at him you guys get the “W”.  He had one good defensive position where he stayed down and Appel missed the front-end.  

The officials were from North Dakota, Minnesota and Ohio.  Tell me how this would help SDSU.  Obviously they had SDSU to cover the spread and called the foul with .8 seconds left so the jacks could have an opportunity to win by 4.🤦‍♂️

Tell us how you REALLY feel, 88......but well said.....refs were bad.....not sure if cheating is the right word......but surely incompetent and blinded to make calls in favor of the gold uniforms.....it is hard to watch and keep one's Christianity....but for the sake of the board TheEagleman will do that and take the high road.....let's beat South Dakota tomorrow night!....:tb-white:

RabbitFarmer?....now that's a perfect name.....congrats on the win.....😎:sdsu:🍺

Oh....announced attendance of 4894 fell just 6 under TheEaglemans' prediction of 4900.....and I don't know anyone who counts tickets.....😎

5 minutes ago, Rabbitfarmer said:

Refs lost you guys the game?  Give me a break.  Can’t handle someone talking smack? What kind of kindergarten society do we live in?  Do you not remember your coach and a few of your players acting out 8 days ago?

It was a good game there’s always calls that could go both ways.  If Lufille doesn’t fall for every pump fake thrown at him you guys get the “W”.  He had one good defensive position where he stayed down and Appel missed the front-end.  

The officials were from North Dakota, Minnesota and Ohio.  Tell me how this would help SDSU.  Obviously they had SDSU to cover the spread and called the foul with .8 seconds left so the jacks could have an opportunity to win by 4.🤦‍♂️

Go back to your own board you troll!

14 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Someone please post videos here of two of the game changing plays that the refs made - the "foul" to send Appel to the line with 1.5 seconds left in regulation and then the "foul" on Elijah that was called a travel by the two refs and then overruled. Looked like bad calls in real time but I'd like to get another look. 

Those and no-call on Wilson using his arm to hook the possession before were all pretty bad.

Just got done a much needed workout and let off some steam. Eagleman be glad I didn't write my expose right after the game! Let's say I'm wrong and the refs weren't cheating but they are blinded and making incompetent calls. Don't they need to be outed and reprimanded and/or replaced? Doesn't the message need to be sent that bindedness and incompetence is not acceptable! Rabbit farmer this is not your team's fault on what happened! You guys are innocent! This is about poor officiating. Honestly I don't want ORU to win because of blatant bad calls!  Actually to be completely honest SDSU is a little better than us right now.  But last night the refs determined the outcome. I don't expect perfection but i do expect fairness. Let's see what happens when we put pressure on the Summit League officials to make sure this type of thing does not continue to happen to ANY TEAM!

• Like 2

Sat beside a scout from the Detroit Pistons at the game. He was there to see Max. He said the Pistons were looking at him very hard in the draft last year, and wanted to see him live in this game. He kept saying, "This is good basketball!" in a surprising tone as the game progressed. He had great things to say about players from both teams, but kept laughing in disbelief at how poor the officiating was. Couldn't believe Apple doesn't start for SDSU. Said the Detroit Lions need to be recruiting Lufile. He seemed pretty serious about it too, which for some reason made it even funnier to me. This NBA scout is really trying to help out the Lions 🤣😂. They love Max's basketball IQ, and that he's not just out there trying to take as many shots as he can. Max was dominant at the start, but blended in more offensively as the game wore on to get others involved. 

ORU needs to avoid the Saturday night trap game after the emotional loss on Thursday and finish the season strong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3