So. Dakota St. at ORU

theeagleman5

Yes, we beat ourselves--free throws! Sad. And yet, we did so many things right. Hard to take.

It felt like a championship fight with ORU giving SDSU all they had but just came up a few points short.  Tip my hat to Luke Appel.  What a game for the young man, career night.  He comes in averaging 8 and scores 41 including two threes.  SDSU is 17-0 for a reason and they just have so many weapons to beat you with.

Some thoughts on ORU:

1. They are improving as we head to March, just have to find out ways to win close games in the Summit League tournament.

2. Carlos looks much more comfortable coming off the bench the last couple of games and will be needed down the stretch.

3. Max finally took the wrap off his hand/thumb and looked more like himself tonight.

4. McBride has a lot of confidence and has taken over the role as the Eagles #2 scorer.

5. Lufile is a beast inside and continues to improve.

Still believe they can win the Summit League tournament as it will be hard for NDSU or SDSU to beat ORU three times this season.

Someone please post videos here of two of the game changing plays that the refs made - the "foul" to send Appel to the line with 1.5 seconds left in regulation and then the "foul" on Elijah that was called a travel by the two refs and then overruled. Looked like bad calls in real time but I'd like to get another look. 

• Upvote 2

I quit watching NBA in the 90s after watching Shaq bulldoze defenders with no foul ever called. Tonight reminded me of that. Multiple times the SDSU bigs lowered their shoulders and simply pushed through. I find that style of basketball very hard to watch. What is a defender supposed to do?

19 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

4. McBride has a lot of confidence and has taken over the role as the Eagles #2 scorer.

This is true. He is establishing himself as an offensive threat and taking pressure off of Max. Finally, some offensive sets are being run through someone besides Max and that's opening up his game quite a bit. 

2 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

I quit watching NBA in the 90s after watching Shaq bulldoze defenders with no foul ever called. Tonight reminded me of that. Multiple times the SDSU bigs lowered their shoulders and simply pushed through. I find that style of basketball very hard to watch. What is a defender supposed to do?

Fall over and take a charge. We tried three times and it never worked for some reason.....  🤔

37 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Someone please post videos here of two of the game changing plays that the refs made - the "foul" to send Appel to the line with 1.5 seconds left in regulation and then the "foul" on Elijah that was called a travel by the two refs and then overruled. Looked like bad calls in real time but I'd like to get another look. 

U may be able replay game on oru website

SDSU now 4-0 in close games (5 or less points) and ORU is 3-5.  A few points can be the difference between a good season and a great season.  Of course, last year the Eagles won the last four games by 11 points.  

ORU was plus 13 on the boards tonight, thanks to Lufile's fourth double double.   The Eagles did not want to give SDSU open looks from three, so they were content to let the Jackrabbits dominate the paint.  It is pick your poison with the Jackrabbits.  Double the post and give them open threes or let their bigs score around the rim.  Maybe Coach could have mixed in some zone, just to throw them off.

Real tough loss...ORU let this one get away...Weaver missed FTs just a killer....refs horrible...still some great moments from Max, McBride, Eli and Jurgens....Good Guys just not as good as the Jacks....too much Appel... TheEagleman isn't going to whine.... mostly because game went way over and I had 9.5 points.....😉

• Upvote 1

Jacks clearly the best team in the Summit....would be nice to get another shot at them next month but SDSU will be a clear favorite for the NCAA bid and an 8-9 seed....🏀

48 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Maniac just know if there is a chance for Summit officials to screw any team who is not from the Dakotas…they will. Otherwise they are back to calling high school games. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It is pick your poison with the Jackrabbits.  Double the post and give them open threes or let their bigs score around the rim.

How the heck could the ORU brain trust know WHAT might have happened if “we” doubled the post??

THEY NEVER ONCE TRIED.

Wondering what was said in the SDSU locker room after the game; most likely amused bewilderment re: ORU’s refusal to present any form of post defense, turning a run-of-the-mill doughboy post man into the second coming of Hakeem Olajuwon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Luke clobbered Lufile, Weaver, and Clover all night.  He put the Jackrabbits on his back and brought them to victory.  Do not think anyone saw that coming.  If coming into the game, we would have said it will take 41 from Appel to win this game, then ORU would have had a great chance to win.  They beat the Eagles with their fourth best option.  Very impressive from SDSU.

It was great being back in the remodeled Mabee Center tonight with a great crowd and a wonderful atmosphere. I wish losses like this didn’t bother me so much but they really do.  A couple of made free throws-perhaps just ONE, could have ended the game in regulation, and that really stings!  As bad as I hate to say it, Appel is a very good player and was the difference tonight for the Jacks. BUT for what it’s worth, from the court side seats we had (thanks to Deputy Athletic Director, Paul Kabbes) I could hear that jerk trash-talking, clapping, smiling and trying to get in the heads of our players-especially Lufile, after every bucket he made. I’m pretty sure he told Elijah on multiple occasions, “You can’t guard me!” …Not to mention some foul language and on numerous occasions, what appeared to be smiles and smirks toward our bench after scoring.  That’s on him, but I also lose respect for a staff that would allow that to go on.  If the Jacks end up winning the conference tourney and representing the Summit League, I hope they get embarrassed by their first round opponent. They need to be humbled a bit IMO.  Regardless, it was such a treat for me and @ORob2 to be able to visit briefly with @ORUJason@Old Titan, @ORUTerry& @ORU40.  I’ll be looking for you guys again Saturday night!  Thanks for supporting my beloved Eagles so loyally for all these years.  Now let’s beat the Coyotes and figure out how to defend the tournament championship!  Anything could happen as multiple teams, including ORU, are capable of winning it. 🦅🏀💪

Rob

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ORob1 said:As bad as I hate to say it, Appel is a very good player and was the difference tonight for the Jacks. BUT for what it’s worth, from the court side seats we had (thanks to Deputy Athletic Director, Paul Kabbes) I could hear that jerk trash-talking, clapping, smiling and trying to get in the heads of our players-especially Lufile, after every bucket he made. I’m pretty sure he told Elijah on multiple occasions, “You can’t guard me!” …Not to mention some foul language and on numerous occasions, what appeared to be smiles and smirks toward our bench after scoring.  That’s on him, but I also lose respect for a staff that would allow that to go on.

Rob

Be careful what coaching staff you are losing respect for… In game trash-talking is part of the game.  If you want Appel to be quiet then stop him.

The game was very entertaining to watch.  I think both fan bases enjoyed it besides the ending.  Hopefully they can meet again at SLT.

• Like 1

Having trouble letting this one go. Really poor officiating with the biggest calls going SDSU's way.

Good crowd, fun atmosphere, great college basketball game. We have been blessed with some really great basketball games this season. 

5 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Having trouble letting this one go. Really poor officiating with the biggest calls going SDSU's way.

Have I told y’all how much I hate playing basketball in this league?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

How the heck could the ORU brain trust know WHAT might have happened if “we” doubled the post??

THEY NEVER ONCE TRIED.

Wondering what was said in the SDSU locker room after the game; most likely amused bewilderment re: ORU’s refusal to present any form of post defense, turning a run-of-the-mill doughboy post man into the second coming of Hakeem Olajuwon. 

It seemed to me that the game plan was to refuse to help on anything. Typically, we help far more aggressively than I'd like to see, but last night there as almost no help defense. Though it obviously didn't work out for the bigs, I thought it worked well in keeping the SDSU guards pretty quiet. 

Wilson went 13-18 for 29 points and Appel went 16-20 for 41 - combined 76% shooting. Absolutely unreal. To be fair to DJ and Eli, both of those guys are really really good. Appel had the night of his career. Wilson played like a former MVP. Unfortunately, everyone in the league is going to look to come after these guys in the post now, even more than they already have. We're going to have to have guys slide over and help in the post now. Don't have a choice.

Not a good night for DJ, Eli or Mills.

• Upvote 1