UM-Kansas City at ORU

theeagleman5

This is a HUGE game on Saturday Night at Mabee Center....in fact, the final FIVE regular season games are all HUGE.....TheEagleman figures that the Good Guys will need to win 4 of 5 to get the 2nd spot in the Summit League regular season.....time for ORU to buckle down and play some serious basketball.....:hc_mills:

When ORU played UMKC the first time around, I described them as "a poor man's TU", because of their roster and style of play.

In hindsight, that was inaccurate:  on a neutral floor, the Roos would beat TU by double digits right now.  There's nothing "poor" about them.

The emergence of New Mexico State transfer point guard Evan Gilyard has thrust UMKC into the upper division of the league, and they are still fighting for a second-place finish.

Saturday will be a physical, lower-scoring, grind-it-out game.  Need recent no-shows Francis and DJ to step up, and in a "big boy" way!

And we'll need Big Maple to make his presence felt in the paint as well. 

Time to get Eli Lufile in the starting line up after that beastly performance vs. St. Thomas.........let's go, Coach Mills!!!! :hc_mills:

4 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Time to get Eli Lufile in the starting line up after that beastly performance vs. St. Thomas.........let's go, Coach Mills!!!! :hc_mills:

The thing I worry about with starting Elijah is foul trouble.  I doubt UMKC is capable of running away offensively in the first half the way WIU did; would rather have The Big Maple bringing the lumber in the second half, ala St. Thomas.

It's time for DJ and Francis to become physical presences as well!!

Hummmm.....foul trouble is a good point...Eli has tended to pick up fouls in the past.....maybe being the 6th or 7th man is a better plan.....besides, Coach Mills knows a lot more than TheEagleman.....😉:hc_mills:😮

ORU has been up and down, especially at home.  Keeping the faith that Coach Mills is building this team for March.  KC has been hot of late, winning 6 out of 7, but begins a four-game road trip starting tonight.  Max is due for a comeback game, after struggling on Saturday.  Should be fun to watch Max vs Gilyard part 2!

UMKC at St. Thomas tonight in Minnesota.....interesting match up......also TheEagleman is wondering if Coach Mills shed any light on our recent first half struggles at Waldo's last night?.....the last two games ORU has 117 points in the 2nd halves....and 56 points in in the first half......that just can't happen.....🥺😬😮

40 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

UMKC at St. Thomas tonight in Minnesota.....interesting match up......also TheEagleman is wondering if Coach Mills shed any light on our recent first half struggles at Waldo's last night?.....the last two games ORU has 117 points in the 2nd halves....and 56 points in in the first half......that just can't happen.....🥺😬😮

I'm not sure what Coach's solution is, but mine is simple:  just play two second halves each night.

ORU will even let the opponent inbound the ball to start each half.  Just so long as that little "2" is lit up underneath "HALF" on the scoreboard. 😊

• Haha 1

UMKC defeats St. Thomas tonight in a COVID make-up game in St. Paul. 

Roo’s are now tied for third with NDSU at 9-4, and for now hold the tie-breaker advantage over the Bison having defeated them in KC a couple of weeks back. 

Can only imagine how motivated they will be Saturday night to split the season series with ORU and move into a tie for second place. 

• Like 1

ORU vs. UMKC is going to be a very good contest as the Roos are on a roll...Good Guys will need to bring the A Game for both halves in order to win...hopefully Coach Mills has them practicing and preparing hard in the gym this week.... :shield-logo:

KC just got Allick back agaisnt St. Thomas.  He has been out for two months and was considered an all Summit League player at the beginning of the year.  ORU will need Big Maple to deal with the 6'8 Allick.  Should be a tough game on Sat. night.

Speaking of UMKC, it looks like they may be joining The MVC in the next couple of years.  I've always wanted ORU to be in the Missouri Valley Conference, but I guess neither entities are interested.  I hate for the Summit to get down to 9 members again, and I sure do not want St. Augustine to join!    https://letsgodu.com/2021/12/06/umkc-looks-to-bolt-summit-league/

The MVC had a chance to take UMKC not once but twice since that article was written, and opted for Murray State and Illinois-Chicago instead.

UMKC does not have the budget to participate in The Valley, and someone among the MVC president's council (not sure who) is dead-set on ORU ever joining.  Non-starter on either joining anytime soon.

And no worries about Augustana joining the Summit; SDSU will leave the league before that ever happens.

Thanks for your response to this, Old Titan.  That all does bring a sigh of relief to me.  It is good to be stable at 10 teams for awhile.  Your take on Augustana  is also comforting.  With Western Illinois hanging in there, I would like to see Eastern Illinois join us in basketball, but then we would need one other to join.  I was hoping that some school in Arkansas might join the Summit, but looks like that won't happen any time soon either.  

I'm curious to see if the Summit will be able to reverse-poach from the Horizon, Mid-America, or Big Sky in the next few years. 

If the new commish is as aggressive as he sounds about creating a conference broadcast/streaming network, it may represent a tempting option for those schools of similar size and geography to the SL membership.

But, just remember:  all of these decisions, no matter what, will be dictated by whatever UND hockey decides to do...

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Big game that should draw a big crowd at Mabee Center tomorrow night especially since we got no help from WIU last night and St. Thomas on Tuesday....the Blue Crew will need to be loud and raucous.....TheEagleman is still going over lots of game tape and pages of analytical data before making a prediction...it's going to be a tough call because this should be a close physical contest.....Max will need to come up huge........................                                        :shield-logo:  vs. Image result for UMKC Roos Logo. Size: 182 x 102. Source: www.pinterest.com