UM-Kansas City at ORU

theeagleman5

TheEagleman is fairly ticked....🤬

I still do not understand why Big Maple is not on the floor basically all of the game.  No offense to DJ but when Eli went in, to me, he changed the game.  Just my $.02.

Eli brought his lunch pail tonight. 6-6 fgs 15 rebounds (8 offensive) and 17 points. Serious question-can he win most improved player? His last few games have been amazing.

Yiiiiiiikes. We are lucky to walk away with a win in that one. I thought we were going to blow it right down to the end. Phew. 

The fans defitenly got there money's worth tonight!  It was a heart racing game!  Big win for ORU.  Kareem (Special K) made a couple of big shots at the end, when the Eagles trailed by one.  Lacis shot the three well, Lufile dominated, and McBride was good in the second half.  Really a team effort all around.  Max still looks like he is about 75 percent.

It's time to shorten our bench. We are struggling against less talented teams at home. We need to play our starters and Eli and McBride off the bench. Those line ups are by far our most effective. The little bit of offense Phipps gives us is far out weighed by the bad shot selection, non-existent defense and questionable ball handling. Our starters are our veterans and have been through the wars and gotten the job done, Lufile is playing as well as anyone on the team right now and McBride is hitting big shots and actually playing the best D of our small gourds. There are only so many minutes in a game and our best units are with the starters and Eli  and McBride off the bench both offensively and defensively, those are our line ups that can play at the level we expect and get us where we want to go! Everyone on this board wants to see more Lufile; that's not rocket surgery, but for him to get the minutes we want and he's clearly earned someone has to play less minutes and to me that clearly Phipps! Its almost conference tourney time,  we need our best on the floor!!

Go Eagles! 

• Upvote 1

Who would have thought ORU would win this game when they miss 17 free throws, get outshoot from three 13-8, and Gilyard outplays Max?  They got the wake up call in the second half and the offense got rolling.  The zone did get them back in the game, until Gilyard got hot from three.  

Great win tonight.  The big problem is that ORU's defense has taken a couple of steps back.  Besides the St. Thomas game, the Eagles are giving up to many points.  When tournament time rolls around, ORU can not give up 80 plus and win three in a row in March.

This ORU team is a heart attack.... under 60% from the FT line is not acceptable....Eli needs to be in the line up...17 and 15...geez...and hats off to Lacis tonight....Max is struggling...he is not ready for the pros...its ORU or Med School....that said...we got the W and still not playing a 40 minute game. Good Guys have to change their ways if they want to win in Fargo next week and Sioux Falls in March....😬

Big Maple is putting up all star numbers but teams are starting to foul him, the old hack a shack.  He was 5-10 from the free throw line tonight and is shooting 45 percent for the year.  That is really his only weakness.  Sure he works on free throws a lot in practice but it looks like he shoots them with almost one hand.   Anyone noticed that?

40 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

It's time to shorten our bench. We are struggling against less talented teams at home. We need to play our starters and Eli and McBride off the bench. Those line ups are by far our most effective. The little bit of offense Phipps gives us is far out weighed by the bad shot selection, non-existent defense and questionable ball handling. Our starters are our veterans and have been through the wars and gotten the job done, Lufile is playing as well as anyone on the team right now and McBride is hitting big shots and actually playing the best D of our small gourds. There are only so many minutes in a game and our best units are with the starters and Eli  and McBride off the bench both offensively and defensively, those are our line ups that can play at the level we expect and get us where we want to go! Everyone on this board wants to see more Lufile; that's not rocket surgery, but for him to get the minutes we want and he's clearly earned someone has to play less minutes and to me that clearly Phipps! Its almost conference tourney time,  we need our best on the floor!!

Go Eagles! 

Disagree about Phipps.  He doesn't get that much playing time and he hustles the whole time.  I don't think he hurts us on the floor.  Someone has those numbers though and I'm sure they look at them.

Here's tonight's numbers.  Trey was second in rebounds in 21 minutes.  32 minutes is probably about the most Lufile can play.

image.thumb.png.6c4eba5747e4d0f8dc9a2b0021f73728.png

I actually have to agree with Mrs Smith on Phipps. I was not a fan at the beginning of the season, but he's starting to turn the corner in my mind. Doesn't make as many silly turnovers anymore and manages to get in the lane and pressure the defense pretty consistently. I do wish we saw less of the Abmas, Mcbride, and Phipps combo on the floor. That never works out. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

Disagree about Phipps.  He doesn't get that much playing time and he hustles the whole time.  I don't think he hurts us on the floor.  Someone has those numbers though and I'm sure they look at them.

Here's tonight's numbers.  Trey was second in rebounds in 21 minutes.  32 minutes is probably about the most Lufile can play.

image.thumb.png.6c4eba5747e4d0f8dc9a2b0021f73728.png

I have to start by saying that I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Mrs. Smith along with Mr. Smith earlier this year at the first home home game of the year. They are wonderful people, and they are long time ORU fans and supporters and know the game as well, if not better then I ever will. I may very well be wrong, and if Mrs. Smith disagrees with me, I probably am! But, I just don't think we are as efficient a team with Trey on the floor, just looking at tonight's game he was the first sub off the bench and played 16 minutes in the first half (we did not play well at all in the first half) and then coach started Trey in the second half, but took him out early and when he was out we (in my opinion ) played much better, took the lead and won the game. I have nothing against the Trey, he does hustle( but honestly his hustle reminds me of the old John Wooden saying "don't mistake activity for achievement") as he often time seems out of control or trying to force things , to me he has a shoot first mentality and is a poor defender and does not make his teammates better. I just don't think he should be getting as many minutes he is- he's basically playing starter minutes and I think we would be better with others on the floor getting that playing time.  IMHO, it's not just his play that doesn't help us, it's the opportunity cost of not having someone else on the court. I also think we need to get away from the 3 small guard line up and I think Max and McBride are a better combo, offensively and defensively. 

I think Trey will be a very good player for us in the future, I'm just not sure he's ready yet for the type of role and significant minutes he's been getting. But, I'm probably wrong as it appears coach Mills disagrees ( which I don't have a problem with), but Mrs. Smith disagreeing with me makes me wonder!! It pains me to disagree with Mrs. Smith, and my disagreement on this is with absolute, full respect for her opinion. 

We all want the same thing for our team and hopefully the team will finish the year strong and get back to the big dance where we can showcase our team and school again. Go Eagles!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

In such a big game like tonight, how does ORU come out with such little energy and confidence?  They start out down 21-7 before the fans even have time to get popcorn.  Now they have to spend the rest of the night fighting back to try and win.  Just head scratching. No real answers.  Maybe they need to get back on the road, seem to play much better away from the Mabee Center.  

Max does not look like himself.  He has that wrap on his hand and is just struggling.  Too many turnovers and seems passive.

And the free throws! Way worse than last yr

6 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I have to start by saying that I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Mrs. Smith along with Mr. Smith earlier this year at the first home home game of the year. They are wonderful people, and they are long time ORU fans and supporters and know the game as well, if not better then I ever will. I may very well be wrong, and if Mrs. Smith disagrees with me, I probably am!

I can guarantee that I do not have ten percent of the basketball knowledge as you!  You are being kind.  I do like to act like I know what I'm talking about when I yell at the refs though.  🙂

I do agree that having Max, Isaac and Trey on the floor together is not good.

Yeah, I think it’s important to have one of either Kareem or Carlos on the floor for defense. Then you have Max, and either Phipps or McBride to round out your guard rotation. If you want to play small, you could play Max, McBride, Carlos, and Kareem with Eli, Weaver, or Lacis. 

I also think that we should play zone more. It’s becoming harder to hide Max on defense. The matchups last night (due to the size and athleticism of KC’s other guards) were such that he had to guard Gilyard anytime we played man. This meant that KC’s best player was being guarded by our worst defender. 

Offensively, I think we need to run Max off of screens away from the ball more. This way, when he catches the ball, the defense is already scrambling. I noticed last night that we essentially used him as a decoy for much of the second half, and would just stand in the corner. That is one reason Lufile had so much space in the paint, but I feel like Max should be getting more shots up in a tight game like that. 

High praise for Eli in the Mark Acres comparison from this Tulsa World article this morning! Lufile has made tremendous progress this year, he is an excellent rebounder-particularly on the offensive glass and he has also proven to be very effective on the pick and dive play where he sets the screen and then goes straight to the rim.

The next step in his progress that I would like to see him add to his game is a strong- old school(in honor of 80's night) post up, get the defender on his his hip- seal him off, demand the basketball and make a simple strong drop step to the basket! I haven't seen a player in the Summits league that could stop that!    

Very happy for Eli, he is clearly a hard worker and it's nice to him have individual success and he has now become a key player in the teams success!!!

Go Eagles!! 

Elijah Lufile, Issac McBride spark ORU's rally past Kansas City _ Basketball _ tulsaworld.com.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1