UM-Kansas City at ORU

theeagleman5

TheEagleman glad he passed on betting this one as I would have gone with the under...what has happened to ORU's defense? Didn't think KC would get 70 let alone 86....our D at Mabee Center had been abysmal and NDSU will have a picnic on Thursday Night if we play like that...and the following week SDSU might put up 100 on us. Coach Mills seems like a smarter guy than TheEagleman but his combinations at certain points of the game are head scratching....16 first half minutes for Phipps????....please.....and let's not kid ourselves....Lufile is now a starter. Eli is a mini Embiid w/o the 3 point shot....😯

4400+ the announced attendance at Mabee Center last night....the ORU students have bought in and no longer watching the games on their Smart Phones.....😃👍😎

7 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

What a great edition of the Tulsa World today!! A very positive article about the ORU comeback win and the attached article about TU having it's worst attendance for a game in 42 years!   

Bill Haisten_ Legends return for a TU win and a look at TU’s worst attendance in 42 years _ TU Sports Extra _ tulsaworld.com.pdf 9.02 MB · 0 downloads

Wow! 😯 That doesn't even look like 1,000 people there!

I continue to be impressed with the student section

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

What a great edition of the Tulsa World today!! A very positive article about the ORU comeback win and the attached article about TU having it's worst attendance for a game in 42 years!   

Bill Haisten_ Legends return for a TU win and a look at TU’s worst attendance in 42 years _ TU Sports Extra _ tulsaworld.com.pdf 9.02 MB · 7 downloads

That is a brutal image. Especially when you consider the level of competition they have coming to them. You almost have to feel bad for the TU fans that are going through that. It wasn't too long ago that we were in a similar spot.

Observations of last night’s game from a relative basketball novice:

• What a poor three throw shooting performance. If we shoot FT’s like last year, we end up winning by +20 points. 
  • UMKC is a tough minded & hard nosed defensive squad. They play physical and commit a lot of fouls. In fact, I think they commit more than are called because the refs can’t/won’t call all of them. The Roos are a difficult team to play. We gave up easy baskets (layups/dunks) - some of which they missed! They also made three pointers - and a lot of them were contested or from a long way out.
  • I am torn about Phipps. He is (generally) a liability on defense, but provides energy & fearlessness on offense. He had several timely scores in the first half that helped keep us in the ball game. Some of our other players should emulate his effort. 

• Lufile has become a difference maker. His athleticism and explosiveness allow him to snag rebounds - especially on the offensive side of the court. He also has great hands and can credibly guard smaller opponents (when necessary) on the perimeter. He gets winded because of his effort - and that limits his playing time. 

• Weaver looked like he was lost and certainly was not assertive. Herron played a few minutes in the first half and also looked a bit lost. He might have done better in the zone defense. 

• I think Lufile was open a lot on that pick & dive play - but our smaller guards had trouble seeing or making the pass. I wonder if we have considered using Lacis or Thompson since they are taller?
  • UMKC doubled Max at half court every time he brought the ball up the court. They have tall guards and played it tight - creating difficulty to even pass out of it. Other schools are doing this to him as well. 
  • Upvote 1

Did anyone notice that Gilyard the point guard for the Roos moved to his left when he shot. Why did we not adjust and make him go right and shoot. He averages 16.1 points per game but last night had 29 points.  I believe he did close to that against us at home. Quite honestly by not forcing him to go right we made him look like an NBA All-star. These types of corrections leafs to playing much better defense 

4 hours ago, ORU40 said:

High praise for Eli in the Mark Acres comparison from this Tulsa World article this morning! Lufile has made tremendous progress this year, he is an excellent rebounder-particularly on the offensive glass and he has also proven to be very effective on the pick and dive play where he sets the screen and then goes straight to the rim.

The next step in his progress that I would like to see him add to his game is a strong- old school(in honor of 80's night) post up, get the defender on his his hip- seal him off, demand the basketball and make a simple strong drop step to the basket! I haven't seen a player in the Summits league that could stop that!    

Very happy for Eli, he is clearly a hard worker and it's nice to him have individual success and he has now become a key player in the teams success!!!

Go Eagles!! 

Elijah Lufile, Issac McBride spark ORU's rally past Kansas City _ Basketball _ tulsaworld.com.pdf 244.87 kB · 7 downloads

Sam,Thanks for posting the articles 🏀

My observations from the game. I was watching on my phone in a plane so I may be off base on some of these.

- Another phenomenal crowd. The atmosphere this season has been incredible. How do we keep that going forward beyond a blind hope that the student body maintains an interest? 
- Eli is a monster. I love him coming off the bench as a 6th man, creating all kinds of problems in the paint and just being a spark. Allick was clearly frustrated and I think a lot of it had to do with Eli. 
- Loved the flop warning from our old friend. Overall, it was a pretty good outing from the stripes. Quite a bit of ticky tack stuff in the first half, but they eased up and called a pretty clean game. 
- Free throw shooting was terrible, sure. But we should applaud the effort to get to the line. Guys like Carlos and Kareem are attacking the basket finally. 
- It’s time to be concerned about the slow starts. This team is officially a second half squad, but we can’t keep coming from behind forever - eventually it will catch up with us. I can’t quite put my finger on what is happening, but I don’t think the primary issue is effort or desire. 
- Curious why Carlos did not play more? I felt like he played really well when he was in. I really like McBride and Dont mind Phipps getting minutes, but the length that Carlos brings to the defensive end gets forgotten. A Zone defense is most effective when you’ve got long arms creating narrow passing planes and plugging things up. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Idig32 said:

Yeah, I think it’s important to have one of either Kareem or Carlos on the floor for defense. Then you have Max, and either Phipps or McBride to round out your guard rotation. If you want to play small, you could play Max, McBride, Carlos, and Kareem with Eli, Weaver, or Lacis. 

I also think that we should play zone more. It’s becoming harder to hide Max on defense. The matchups last night (due to the size and athleticism of KC’s other guards) were such that he had to guard Gilyard anytime we played man. This meant that KC’s best player was being guarded by our worst defender. 

Offensively, I think we need to run Max off of screens away from the ball more. This way, when he catches the ball, the defense is already scrambling. I noticed last night that we essentially used him as a decoy for much of the second half, and would just stand in the corner. That is one reason Lufile had so much space in the paint, but I feel like Max should be getting more shots up in a tight game like that. 

Anyone know the severity of Maxs shooting thumb injury? Enough time for it to heal by March? Maybe he was being used as a decoy because of it? 

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman was wrong last night when he said that this ORU team had no heart....they clearly do as evidenced by the comeback in the final two minutes of last night's game.....it appeared this game was lost multiple times but the Good Guys kept on battling and never threw in the towel.....that said....the bigger concern as previously mentioned are these constant slow starts at Mabee Center.....wish TheEagleman could say what's going on with that but I have no clue.....not sure if it's poor preparation or something else but that's hard to believe with a Coach like Paul Mills.....whatever  Mills is doing at halftime however needs to be bottled.....his team usually comes out of the break on fire and the big opposition lead evaporates quickly.....happened again last night but ORU kept giving up that lead and had to battle down to the final seconds thanks to some poor FT shooting.....obviously this kind of strategy won't work up in North Dakota next week especially in Fargo where the Bison will be ready and waiting with their Old Milwaukee/Natural Light liquored up fans.....Thursday night will be a very tough game with the winner in the drivers' seat for 2nd place in the Summit League.....TheEagleman can't wait......:tb-white:

I agree Eagleman. Here is a recommendation.  Start Big Maple and play zone. We seem to start slow when we are missing shots and the other team's bigger guards are shooting over our smaller guards.  This has created big deficits early in the game. Also by starting Big Maple we limit easy baskets inside. Bring DJ in off the bench. I wish Nate Clover by now had developed more as he could be a  force inside for us. I think we all agree we can't afford these slow starts!

17 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

- It’s time to be concerned about the slow starts. This team is officially a second half squad, but we can’t keep coming from behind forever - eventually it will catch up with us. I can’t quite put my finger on what is happening, but I don’t think the primary issue is effort or desire. 

One of the things that I've noticed at the start of our games, is that coach has a very quick hook for any of the starters not named Max. He has a set substitution pattern where he has his first sub (who I wont name, but I don't think should be the first sub) waiting at the table within 2-3 minutes and no later then the 16:00 timeout if no stoppage in play before that. The football analogy would be coach has the start of the game scripted.   In my opinion, that is causing our starters not named Max to play somewhat hesitantly- they are trying not to make mistakes as opposed to just playing because they know whoever makes that first TO or commits the first foul is going to the bench very early and may not be back in that half. We have seen several of the starters not named Max play 4-10 minutes in full games and it appears that's due to any early error.   

I definitely don't think its a lack of effort or heart, all of our guys are playing their butts off. But, I would just like to see our starters get a little more of a chance to get into a rhythm at the start of the game, give them 6-8 minutes before subbing in(of course you have to come out earlier if you pick up 2 fouls). Just a little bit of a longer leash for our veterans, they've earned it!!

We look disjointed in a lot of our games early, in my opinion allowing our veterans to get going early may help us get off to better starts as a team.

Go Eagles!!

• Like 2

I would like to see Max be more assertive right out of the gate.  Whether it's by design or just his idea, this whole "get everybody involved" deal at the start is not working, and opponents appear to be ready for it, letting the supporting cast clank us into an early hole every game.

When Max is disrupting the defense with his "Am I gonna shoot or am I gonna drive?" approach, it opens things up for everyone else.

It's time for him to put together TWO dominant halves and not just the final 20 minutes.  His teammates' inability to capitalize on his first-half generosity demands it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I would like to see Max be more assertive right out of the gate.  Whether it's by design or just his idea, this whole "get everybody involved" deal at the start is not working, and opponents appear to be ready for it, letting the supporting cast clank us into an early hole every game.

When Max is disrupting the defense with his "Am I gonna shoot or am I gonna drive?" approach, it opens things up for everyone else.

It's time for him to put together TWO dominant halves and not just the final 20 minutes.  His teammates' inability to capitalize on his first-half generosity demands it.

I think its intentional, but not so much to get the others involved, as it is just trying protect Max and leave some gas in the tank for him. He's being picked up full court, doubled off the screens, trapped once he gets over half court, grabbed, bumped and banged all game, every game. That's one thing for a big guy, although it still takes a toll.  But even with the extra pounds Max is still, what 175 lbs., probably less at this stage of the season. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches have made a strategic decision to limit the pounding Max takes per game and on a  cumulative season long basis.  He's still on the court early and takes the 3's available, but the intensity clearly increases in the 2nd half, when he handles the ball much more and takes over offensively.       

15 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I think its intentional, but not so much to get the others involved, as it is just trying protect Max and leave some gas in the tank for him. He's being picked up full court, doubled off the screens, trapped once he gets over half court, grabbed, bumped and banged all game, every game. That's one thing for a big guy, although it still takes a toll.  But even with the extra pounds Max is still, what 175 lbs., probably less at this stage of the season. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches have made a strategic decision to limit the pounding Max takes per game and on a  cumulative season long basis.  He's still on the court early and takes the 3's available, but the intensity clearly increases in the 2nd half, when he handles the ball much more and takes over offensively.       

Here's the deal:  if ORU wants to finish second in the regular season, thus getting a day-off after their tournament opener AND avoid Western Illinois in the first round; then they need to win out in these last four games, or at least beat NDSU and SDSU while going 3-1 (earning a tiebreaker with the Bison).

To accomplish that, Max is going to have to be Max for 40 minutes, not 20.

Must go with whatever's in the tank at this point - from here on out, gotta floor it...

Driving Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes sir.....the game in Fargo Thursday Night will be an exciting battle for 2nd place....but all four remaining contests are important.....pedal to the metal is required.....and one would think there will be some interesting questions for Coach Mills at Waldo's tonight.....for one....what the heck is going on in the first 10 minutes of these games, Paul????....Coach will probably pass on those spicy wings tonight....😎:hc_mills:😎