Let it begin: South Dakota

Keenan Henderson

Great win for ORU last night to start the Summit League schedule.....unfortunately for TheEagleman, I am not playing with house money because I lost....lol....honestly from a betting standpoint this 2021-22 ORU team has been hard to figure out and it's been costing me.....fortunately only small wagers so far except for the TU game win which was my one large bet.....so still ahead on the season but struggling to get a win here......have to say that the oddsmakers had this one nailed last night much to my consternation....they often know even when we think they don't....so TheEagleman honestly has no clue what will  happen on Wednesday Night in Brookings....have to believe that SDSU will be at least a 5 point favorite and ORU winning twice in 48 hours on the road is going to be a challenge....but as I said previously.....this squad seems to be hard to predict.....again, I take my hat off to the Good Guys and especially Max and the bench last night....agree with ORU40 that we would have taken a split on this trip no problem and we have at least that now.......Go Blue!  :tb-blue:

By the way.....that last Max 3 pointer cost TheEagleman.....would have won the teaser bet with a 6 ORU win.....ouch!....but will accept the loss when the Good Guys are victorious  anytime.....👍

Perhaps flop warnings to ORU players is a “point of emphasis” for Summit League officials this year. 

Or it just helps these mediocre officials feel like they have a feel for the more subtle aspects of officiating. 

It has been my experience over the years that bad referees (particulary older ones) will have a favorite, obscure violation they like to pull out every now and then, just for the attention I suppose, and to show their younger crew members who's in charge with their infinite knowledge of the rule book.

Something along the lines of palming the ball, lane violations on free throws, or breaking the plane of the baseline on inbounds passes.  Stopping play to make a player tuck in his jersey is another chestnut.

That old bald ref seems to have adopted "the flop warning" (and subsequent technical foul) as his new go-to call; guess he's wanting to beat the rush among his equally-woeful Summit brethren.

What are the odds that Yorkovich shows up in a striped shirt in Brookings tomorrow night??? 🥺

Don't know if it will be Yorkovich, but you can bet it will be three guys we probably haven't seen before this season, who have already called at least one game each in Brookings this year.

It's a tradition like no other in the Dakotas:  ORU playing catch-up in the familiarity department with these Frost Belt referees who never call non-con games in the Mabee Center.

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Don't know if it will be Yorkovich, but you can bet it will be three guys we probably haven't seen before this season, who have already called at least one game each in Brookings this year.

It's a tradition like no other in the Dakotas:  ORU playing catch-up in the familiarity department with these Frost Belt referees who never call non-con games in the Mabee Center.

On this call didn't the defender slide under the Phipps feet as he was coming down? Just the way it looked on the still frame earlier in the thread. I know in the NBA that is a flagrant foul on the defender. 

Yes, it not only should NOT been a flopping warning/call, it should have been a personal foul - either on or after the shot - by the Coyote big man. 

Whole mess should have been reviewed...

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest problem on that play was where it happened and where the closest ref (who made the call) was positioned. He was watching Phipps' feet to call the 3, saw light contact on the wrist, then saw the USD defender land between him and Phipps, and finally saw Phipps fall, which he took as Phipps trying to sell the foul based on the wrist contact. He was blocked by the defender's body from seeing that the defender actually slid under where Phipps was landing and that Phipps landed on the defender's foot.

Is a flop call reviewable? Obviously it didn't matter for the warning, but if something like that resulted in an actual T it could be a big deal.

South Dakota losses by 11 to KC tonight.  They really struggled and only scored 57.  May be a long year for USD.