Let it begin: South Dakota

Keenan Henderson

Time to begin conference play with possible the toughest road test.  South Dakota has won all six games at home this year and they are 26-4 in their last 30 at home.  SDSU is 58-2 at home in their last 60 games.  These teams are about as good as gets at keeping the homecourt advantage.  ORU will need to play their best to win on Monday night.

TheEagleman is not impressed with the USD schedule.....they play mostly home games and recently played a bunch of salad makers (Waldorf?).....lost by 49 points at Drake and struggled to beat Southern and No. Arizona at home....ORU not playing well on the road but this is a game that the Good Guys need to take....:hc_mills:

Let this team create a new paradigm shift and expect to win in the Dakotas. We have the talent and ability to do it and need the guys to really stay focused. I agree USD schedule has been under whelming and this is a game we can win! SD State will will have to play our A game for 40 minutes to win.

Yes, USD has played a soft schedule.  They lost two first team all summit league players in Stanley Umede and AJ Piltzewzi.  That is a lot of production to replace, just as if ORU had lost Max and K.O.  A lot of guys have stepped up at South Dakota to fill the void.  The Coyotes are good at using their big guards to cause matchup problems for smaller guards.  ORU will have to handle that problem during most of the Summit League schedule.

So just wondering here....who is the Summit League scheduling idiot who decided that it was a great idea to play 2 games during Christmas week?....plus sending ORU to South Dakota?.....just lunacy in my humble opinion.....but i guess the schedule is tight....I kinda feel bad for the Good Guys having to go up to Vermillion and Brookings a few days before Christmas.....hope the boys get to spend some holiday time with family...or do they all go over to Coach Mills' house and watch Hoosiers and drink Egg Nog??....😜:hc_mills:😉

• Haha 1

USD no longer having Umude is definitely a big loss for them.  They are probably trying to figure it out just like we are trying to figure it out after losing Obanor.

11 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

So just wondering here....who is the Summit League scheduling idiot who decided that it was a great idea to play 2 games during Christmas week?

Adding St. Thomas means an extra week of league play, and you have to schedule backward from the conference tournament date, which is locked in by ESPN's broadcast schedule. 

So, you have to play some games before the traditional new year's starting date in order to fit them all in...

Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

And, in many respects, getting to play the SD schools on the road during Christmas week might be an advantage for ORU, with likely fewer home fans in attendance.   USD is definitely an opportunity for a steal win on the road.  SDSU is a long shot, but a win would signal to the rest of the Summit that ORU is a significant contender for the title. 

16 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

USD is definitely an opportunity for a steal win on the road.  SDSU is a long shot, but a win would signal to the rest of the Summit that ORU is a significant contender for the title. 

I agree. USD is almost a "must win" if ORU wants to finish in the top two going into the conference tournament.

South Dakota is going to be hyped up to play ORU in their first conference game at home.  We all know they have had this one circled on the schedule, since ORU is coming off of a Sweet 16 run.  The Coyotes want to win with defense and try and keep it in the 60s or low 70s.  

The upside with Lufile in the game, is that if ORU is missing some threes, then he can get some stick backs and keep the Eagles from going on droughts.  The Eagles cannot turn the ball over too much or it will be a long night.

Looks like we can watch the game for free on USD's basketball website.  They have their own network that is free for everyone.

ORU opens as a 2-1/2 point road favorite with an O/U of 144.  Will be interesting to see if the line continues to move up until game time. 

ORU a road favorite???...Vegas linesmaker must be drinking the spiked egg nog...😬

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU a road favorite???...Vegas linesmaker must be drinking the spiked egg nog...😬

That makes two of us 

• Haha 1

TheEagleman jumped on that one....teasing USD and Over......I am seeing this one something like South Dakota 76  ORU 72.....:southdakota:

Unfortunately, I agree Eagleman. I just don't have a good feeling about this one. Really hope I'm wrong. 76-66 USD.

KenPom has it 72-71, ORU. 

USD’s schedule up to now not scoring any points with the algorithms, I suppose. But who you going to believe; some computer or our lying eyes?  Lol

Yotes by 8.   #TrustTheProcess

• Upvote 1

Eagleman’s teaser wager wasn’t enough to offset Vegas’ fascination with the March Madness Cinderellas, as the line has now moved to ORU -3.5.  

As usual, tonight’s outcome will depend primarily on how well ORU shoots from beyond the arc.  USD is a shell of its former self and doesn’t have the firepower to hang tight with ORU if the threes are falling.  But, if the shooters are cold, the Eagles can lose to any team (i.e, UCA) and will have little chance against the Coyotes.  

Since recent games have proven that others (Weaver, Lacis) can carry the team when Max is either cold or can’t shake the defense, I’m more optimistic about the outcome tonight - and predict a 76-71 ORU road win. 

We need production from Thompson and Jurgens in this game. I suspect that we will also need contributions from our post players (Lufile/Herron).