Let it begin: South Dakota

Keenan Henderson

TheEagleman stunned at the line jumping up to ORU -3.5 so I also have the Coyotes with that number.....I cannot disagree with TrueBlue as this is a game ORU can win if we play smart and shoot well....it's just that I haven't seen us do it on the road yet....like the old Beatles song says...Why Can't We Do It on the Road?....lol....This should be a tight contest and TheEagleman is hoping for a close ORU victory and then I win both ways.....GO BLUE!!!   :tb-white:

Teams have been too effective at taking Max out of games. Until we can figure out how to capitalize on his strengths as well we were last year, I can't confidently pick ORU to win in any of these games against the "Contenders" or "Spoilers" as TrueBlue has labeled them in another thread. 

I am confident that Max will regain the efficiency we saw last year before the conference tournament, we just haven't seen it yet. 

On the road, ORU cannot get away with Max having an off night.  He needs to score around 25-30 tonight for the Eagles to win.  He scored 36 against the Coyotes in February 2021, so hoping for a repeat performance!

We all know that Max led the nation in scoring last year with a 24.5 ppg average.  So far this season, he is being hounded and targeted by the opposing defenses, and is "only" scoring at a 20.2 ppg clip.

As a point of reference, here's a breakdown of Max's scoring last season:

7 non-conference games - 19.3 ppg

15 conference games - 27.2 ppg

6 tournament games (Summit/NCAA) - 23.8 ppg

Yes, you read that correctly.  Max actually INCREASED his scoring in non-conference games compared to last year by nearly one point per game.  I think that he is very much looking forward to the start of the Summit schedule tonight! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman stunned at the line jumping up to ORU -3.5 so I also have the Coyotes with that number...

As of noon, the line is now ORU (-4) with several books. 

This is bizarre, and unprecedented:  ORU lines rarely move; there's just not that much action on their games to warrant it, is there?

Does USD have a COVID issue or something?

P.S. if you follow trends:  ORU is 4-4 in their last 8 games, alternating wins-and-losses throughout, with the most recent verdict being the win vs. UTA. 

Does the "win-one-lose-one" pattern continue tonight?  #justsayin'

54 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

P.S. if you follow trends:  ORU is 4-4 in their last 8 games, alternating wins-and-losses throughout, with the most recent verdict being the win vs. UTA. 

Does the "win-one-lose-one" pattern continue tonight?  #justsayin'

I would gladly accept continuing the trend (taking a loss tonight) if it guaranteed a win over SDSU on Wednesday. 😜

I’m flirting with getting a MidCo sports subscription so I can watch the game. I’ll hang up and listen. 

25 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I’m flirting with getting a MidCo sports subscription so I can watch the game. I’ll hang up and listen. 

This game will be on ESPN+

• Upvote 1

That guy almost hit a 60-foot half-court shot, that was too close for comfort.  Great half by the Eagles as they lead by 11.  USD has no answer for Max, even swatting the ball out of the net.  Max is just too quick for the Coyotes bigger guards.

24 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

Max already has 12 half way through first half….but he clearly looks bothered with his foot….

What’s up with his foot? The injury from couple/few weeks ago?

24 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

These Summit refs...

So many ticky-tack calls.  Kept USD in the game until Max iced it late with a dagger three.  Excellent road win to start the conference season. 

And that's why the call it gambling...lol. Great road win for ORU....😀👍

It was good to see a rotation of the Bigs tonight. hope they can continue to get more playing time. Great win to get things going in the Summit.