Let it begin: South Dakota

Keenan Henderson

Wow, so, so, SO many things to like about this game:

• Max owns this conference.
  • McBride and Phipps will find it easier to score in the Summit League than they did in the non-con.
  • The bench really came through tonight with a couple of starters in foul trouble; very efficient on both ends of the floor.
  • Everyone in the league will be saying, "Wow, that Herron kid looked good - wonder why he never played much before this?"  Yeah, us too...
  • The big men got a great workout tonight in the post vs. what they are bound to see from half the bigs in this league (the other half play face-up on the perimeter)
  • I always get nervous when ORU plays in the literally "Great White North" with an all-caucasion officiating crew, and the foul calls WERE incredibly lopsided tonight.  Always proud of the Golden Eagles for playing through it!
  • Upvote 2

Great win for ORU tonight!  The Eagles lead throughout the game and kept the Coyotes on their heels most of the night.  We knew USD would make a run, but ORU finished strong.  It looked like Coach Mills saved some plays for league play, such as that alley opp to Herron for the dunk.  Coach got the Coyotes in a fast paced up and down game that definitely favored the Golden Eagles.

When Phipps and McBride are on the floor, they can drive and shoot.  It is almost like having two Max Jr's on the court.  Going to be tough for defenses to slow that down but then USD could play bully ball against that lineup.  May be a lot of first one to 80 games again for ORU this season because they have a lot of guards who can score but will struggle guarding bigger guards.

• Upvote 1

Surprising amount of ORU fans waiting at the tunnel for players at the end of the game! There were more people waiting to meet the ORU team as they entered the tunnel than there were for USD.

2 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It looked like Coach Mills saved some plays players for league play, such as that alley opp to Herron for the dunk

Fixed ^^^^^ 

clint eastwood smoking GIF

Herron is the most athletic big in the Summit League, but Coach Mills said in the post-game interview that he is still a work in progress on the defensive end.  SLIM did block two shots and will improve on D as the season goes on.  Looking at that video again and USD's big man looked like he was stunned and ready to head for the locker room!

Francis was player of the week last week, way to go big guy.  So excited for him.  After a long career at ORU it made my heart happy to see him get his award/praise.  He deserved it after all the tough/hard work he gives to the Golden Eagles.  Not many times does a glue guy like Lacis get a player of the week award!

Impressive win for ORU tonight! Max had a monster night and a great job from the supporting cast! Good balance tonight in playing the Bigs. I felt like USD was a decent team and we had to play well to beat them. The upside for this year's team will be fun to watch. Let's stay focused and get a W on Wednesday!

Only got to watch the last 6 mins of the game, but Max looked back to peak Max. It also looked like the refs were doing EVERYTHING they could to keep USD in the game. The flop warning on Phipps was really really bad. By the same bald guy that was on the crew last week who was handing them out left and right. 

Great win. Glad the guys proved me wrong. Hopefully the next one goes well too. 

DJ had three turnovers and two fouls in six minutes, so he was struggling.  Maybe just not his night or a matchup problem.  He will be back in future games.

28 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Why did DJ only play 6 mins?

Same reason Kareem only played 12 minutes vs. UTA - he was awful. 

Nice bounce back game for Thompson tonight, in yet another example of what HOF’er Eddie Sutton always liked to say:  “I have found that the bench can be a great motivator of men”

Now watch DJ go for 18 and 8 in Brookings on Wednesday. 

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

• Upvote 1

Jeremiah Johnson...great movie....Max Abmas...great player....Jacks should be concerned....😯

9 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

The flop warning on Phipps was really really bad. By the same bald guy that was on the crew last week who was handing them out left and right. 

When I saw that live, I thought it was an okay call to give him a warning - it looked like the defender (#34) lightly touched Phipps' wrist and he fell down. But on the review, you can see #34 came under Phipps, and Phipps LANDED ON HIS FOOT, causing Phipps to fall. Here are a couple of screenshots from the paused video.

image.thumb.png.5e7c0f67168c36c32d3676bf7632639a.pngimage.png.4ce37cca3ee6ef93a5ece7535f3361bd.png

So yeah, terrible call. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also, for all the head scratching about the 3 small guard combination (which I've done plenty of myself): Max, Trey, and Isaac combined for 61 of the team's 82 points.

20 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

So yeah, terrible call. 

YES. Ultimately the call didn't matter as it was only a warning and didn't affect the game. Just a really bad use of the Flop warning in the last two games.

I've seen that guy ref tons of games and can't remember ever having an issue with him but I hated the way the UTA game was called and thought the few minutes I saw last night were pretty bad as well. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Surprising amount of ORU fans waiting at the tunnel for players at the end of the game! There were more people waiting to meet the ORU team as they entered the tunnel than there were for USD.

oru_usd_1.jpg

oru_usd_2.jpg

A road win to start the conference schedule... can't beat that!! 1-0 in league, tied for 1st place.  

To continue the gambling theme, when you start a conference road trip and win the first one you're playing with house money! The worst you can do is split and that's not so bad for a conference road swing! 

Very nice win! Go Eagles!!