21-22 Schedule

Keenan Henderson

Since the Power 5 conferences are running from ORU then schedule the AAC (Memphis or SMU), A-10 (St. Louis) or Conference USA (North Texas).  There are still quite a few good teams in the area, outside of the Power 5 that the Eagles could take a bus trip to a road game.

• Like 1

It's not enough anymore to just have four teams playing for the sake of playing; need to find some common non-profit cause that binds at least co-hosts (like and ORU and TU, or an ORU and OSU) with one high major and one mid-major for a two-night, 4-game classic with the co-hosts flipping opponents.

Something that would resonate with fans and the community at large; where folks (and corporations) might feel compelled to buy tickets as much for the beneficiary as anything else:  raising money for Tulsa Public Schools, or the Tulsa Zoo, or Greenwood renovation, or Tulsa Parks. 

That way you can have some fun promoting the theme, and get more local media coverage than if it's just (in many young people's minds these days) "just another couple of basketball games we don't care about".

As an example of ORU and TU cooperation, TU is hosting a 4-team volleyball tournament on the TU campus on September 10th and 11th (Friday-Saturday) where each of the teams will play each other including ORU, TU, Arkansas, and Stephen F. Austin.  I understand VB is different than men's basketball, and probably TU might not return the favor if ORU wanted to host a similar tournament next year, but it is a good idea that makes a lot of sense.  I wonder if there is any willingness in the ORU and TU athletic departments to work together on something like this.  They could use on-campus arenas or the BOK depending on the quality of the opponents.  Why not try it for a couple years and see if there is a lot of community interest.  

27 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

As an example of ORU and TU cooperation, TU is hosting a 4-team volleyball tournament on the TU campus on September 10th and 11th (Friday-Saturday) where each of the teams will play each other including ORU, TU, Arkansas, and Stephen F. Austin.  I understand VB is different than men's basketball, and probably TU might not return the favor if ORU wanted to host a similar tournament next year, but it is a good idea that makes a lot of sense.  I wonder if there is any willingness in the ORU and TU athletic departments to work together on something like this.  They could use on-campus arenas or the BOK depending on the quality of the opponents.  Why not try it for a couple years and see if there is a lot of community interest.  

Exactly!  And call it "The Folds of Honor Basketball Invitational" or "The Habitat For Humanity Hoops Classic" or something like that, with the charity changing every year or two.

And forget the traditional rubber chicken banquet the night before; instead think of the photo op of having all four teams visiting the VA hospital or hammering away on an HFH home the day before. 

It would be beautiful...with some awesome basketball for dessert.

The point being, make it about service (and getting two really good games played in your hometown for each host) and NOT about trying to make money, 'cause folks, the days of profiting from the gate & concessions for basketball in this town are OVER (go see an OKC Thunder game to witness that particular economic model in action).

If not for the OSU and Tulsa games being at home, it is a very, uninspiring and  unfortunate home schedule, especially considering the renovated Mabee Center.

15 minutes ago, dave said:

If not for the OSU and Tulsa games being at home, it is a very, uninspiring and  unfortunate home schedule, especially considering the renovated Mabee Center.

Couldn't agree more, that's a very disappointing OOC schedule. I am a basketball junkie and I haven't even heard of some of those teams!!  

Definitely not going to help attendance!!!

SW Christian?....Haskell?....Rogers State?.....very underwhelming......gotta do better for homecoming weekend.....but at least 3 guaranteed Ws......🙄

It is a up and down schedule for the Eagles this year, would give it a B-.  On one hand they have some good games versus OSU, TCU, Tulsa and Colorado State but the rest are a bit underwhelming.  Just shows that teams are avoiding ORU, especially with Max coming back.  

Coach Mills has also stuck to his guns about not wanting to travel long distances or fly to non-conference games.  Most of the schedule is close to home, except for maybe Colorado State and Houston Baptist (probaly have to fly to those games). 

Hopefully we get Colorado State at home next year and of course Missouri State......Doubtful TCU would come to Mabee Center......:circle-logoi:

A little puzzled at the reaction to the schedule by so many.

This is the most D-1 schools at home (3) since 2016-17, when Tulsa, Little Rock, and Richmond visited in Scott Sutton's final season, and Oklahoma State is the first Power 5 school to play in the Mabee Center since Oklahoma in 2012.

And the non-con road schedule, while lacking any big boys, is still daunting with Mountain West contender Colorado State, plus difficult venues at Central Arkansas, Houston Baptist, and Missouri State.  ORU would do well just splitting those four games, 3-1 would be excellent, and 4-0 would definitely raise some eyebrows.   That being said, these are all four winnable games, which traditionally is not the case when the Golden Eagles travel to high-major guarantee games where the outcome is rarely in question.

Also, I'm glad so many of the road games are close enough to afford both ORU fans and the players' families the opportunity to attend those contests in Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri.

I really don't have much problem with this slate; it has enough challenges and breathers to provide for a good set-up leading into conference play.

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

SW Christian?....Haskell?....Rogers State?.....very underwhelming......gotta do better for homecoming weekend.....but at least 3 guaranteed Ws......🙄

The meaninglessness of the homecoming games is very frustrating. 

37 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

A little puzzled at the reaction to the schedule by so many.

This is the most D-1 schools at home (3) since 2016-17, when Tulsa, Little Rock, and Richmond visited in Scott Sutton's final season, and Oklahoma State is the first Power 5 school to play in the Mabee Center since Oklahoma in 2012.

And the non-con road schedule, while lacking any big boys, is still daunting with Mountain West contender Colorado State, plus difficult venues at Central Arkansas, Houston Baptist, and Missouri State.  ORU would do well just splitting those four games, 3-1 would be excellent, and 4-0 would definitely raise some eyebrows.   That being said, these are all four winnable games, which is rarely the case when the Golden Eagles travel to high-major guarantee games where the outcome is rarely in question.

Also, I'm glad so many of the road games are close enough to afford both ORU fans and the players' families the opportunity to attend those contests in Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri.

I really don't have much problem with this slate; it has enough challenges and breathers to provide for a good set-up leading into conference play.

It is a good way to look at it OT.  Coach Mills and staff probaly did as good as they could with the schedule.  I think the Golden Eagles could be 8-3 heading into Summit League play.  Also if they upset Colorado State opening night then they should be 5-0 before matching up with OSU.  At least we know in August what the schedule is, instead of waiting around until October.  75 days until basketball seaon begins!

The only fly in the ointment is Covid. Let's pray that everyone on every team stays healthy, and that we don't have to miss any games due to a virus outbreak.

14 minutes ago, titansforever said:

The only fly in the ointment is Covid. Let's pray that everyone on every team stays healthy, and that we don't have to miss any games due to a virus outbreak.

...because this year, if you miss a game due to COVID, it's likely a forfeit, instead of the crap TU and USD pulled last year where, after deeming themselves unable to compete in their respective games with ORU, were suddenly at full strength just days later for their next opponents.

Yeah. Not sure about the complaints? This is about the same schedule as any other, over the past 20 years, with the addition of OSU at home. 

I'll tell you this much:  I've got TCU, Missouri State, Central Arkansas, and @UMKC all on my radar for roadies this year...

...and I haven't traveled to four road games in one season since I worked in Athletics!

Animated GIF