2021 Summit League Tourney 1st Rd: ORU vs. UND

Old Titan

Are we good at defense now or are these guys just really bad offensively?

I haven’t watched as many games this year as usual, but this is by far the best defense I’ve seen ORU play. Shooting way worse though. If they can keep up the D and get the O back to normal, they can win the tourney. 

• Upvote 1

Max goes 0-6 from 3 and ORU wins by double digits.

Nice win!

In my book, EASILY the most impressive win of the year, because of the game plan and the defense.

Seriously, if I had told you Obanor would be held to single-digits and Abmas would not make a three for the first game this year, would you think ORU would win by double digits?

MAJOR props to the team AND the coaching staff - just a great, great performance.

• Upvote 3

Man, listening to DeShang speak, just seems like such a nice, well-spoken young man. So happy for him today with all that he’s been through with injuries.

• Upvote 3

Maybe as a good a defensive game as ORU has had all year.  Congrats to Max on reaching 1,000 points in two years!  He really was strong driving to the basket tonight, since UND took away his three point shooting.  K.O. played good defense on Rebracca, holding him to just 8 points.  Very complete team win tonight!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

Man, listening to DeShang speak, just seems like such a nice, well-spoken young man. So happy for him today with all that he’s been through with injuries.

Wonder what all the injuries he mentioned are?

Great win tonight! Nice to see other players besides KO and Max step up. Let's bring our A game tomorrow night against SD State and see what happens!

8 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Wonder what all the injuries he mentioned are?

Pretty sure he's played all this year with a messed-up shoulder, and his knee injury the season-before-last was extensive.  Maybe more than that?

The supporting cast was stellar tonight.  Weaver, Jurgens, and Thompson each played a huge role in the win, on a night when the two first-teamers were struggling.  And the defense... well, it looked like a defense!

Max with a "quiet" 22, played very smart tonight even when the shots weren't falling for him.

Nice to see the TEAM peaking at the right time of the season.  If Max and KO return to form this week, it could be a very fun time to be a Golden Eagle fan.  The three other Summit semi-final teams have to be very concerned about this ORU team now, because of HOW we won this game.

Match this with the baseball series win at LSU, and this has to be one of the best single days in recent ORU Athletics history for the university's two flagship programs.

• Upvote 2

Agreed! I listened to the ORU baseball game today and what a gutsy win and a great pitching effort against the 8th ranked team in the nation! Keep it rolling Eagles!

58 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

And my favorite part of the broadcast might have occurred AFTER the game with DJ's interview.  He was a TREMENDOUS representative for ORU athletics - humble, focused, and articulate - and spoke highly of the university and the coaching staff.  That interview should be shown to every incoming ORU athlete, as the example of "this is how you answer questions from the media".  Made me proud to be an ORU alum.  

• Upvote 1

If you really think about it, outside of those 5-6 possessions at the end of the first half when DJ went lights out, this was really a very very close game. It was almost an exact back and forth for the whole game outside of those possessions. The role players had a GREAT game tonight. Hopefully Max and Obanor can heat up tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

If you really think about it, outside of those 5-6 possessions at the end of the first half when DJ went lights out, this was really a very very close game.

Free throw shooting was huge:  ORU was 19-21 from the line, UND only 16-25.  The 3-point difference is deceiving; if UND shoots a decent percentage (including the front ends of 1-and-1's) and/or ORU isn't so efficient, you're looking at a much tighter game.

Nice ORU win....now time to kick some Jackrabbit butt....😁🏀😁

28 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Free throw shooting was huge:  ORU was 19-21 from the line, UND only 16-25.  The 3-point difference is deceiving; if UND shoots a decent percentage (including the front ends of 1-and-1's) and/or ORU isn't so efficient, you're looking at a much tighter game.

Yeah, if you had told me that ORU would make 5 three-pointers, get outrebounded by 7, and win by double digits???  Nah, wouldn't have believed you.

FT and FG% (44.8-40.4) differences - and turnovers (14-7) were the deciding factors.

5 hours ago, Old Titan said:

MARCHELLO VEALY THINKS DESHANG WEAVER IS PLAYING OUT OF HIS MIND RIGHT NOW.

Was thinking the same thing as I was watching the game on tape delay. Really enjoyed his post game interview. Seems like a fine young man. 

16 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Match this with the baseball series win at LSU, and this has to be one of the best single days in recent ORU Athletics history for the university's two flagship programs.

Additional sidenote: ORU Men's Soccer is 7-0 (5-0 conference) and ranked #24 nationally. 

Yes, I brought up soccer. Let the ridicule begin. 😁

• Haha 1