2021 Summit League Tourney 1st Rd: ORU vs. UND

Old Titan

TheEagleman wouldn't be at all shocked to see at least two of the lower seeds win in Round 1.....agree SDSU has a history of choking in their opening game but not likely this year vs. Omaha....could it happen?  That surely would be lovely for ORU but we are no guarantee to beat UND.....still, TheEagleman does expect an ORU vs. SDSU matchup on Monday Night.....NDSU is almost guaranteed to get to the Finals unless they come up very small vs. UMKC or USD....but again, this IS a Covid year and it IS the Summit Tournament....it's wide open this year.....😎

The Horizon League had their quarter finals last night and each game was tight:

(3) Detroit-Mercy lost to (4) Northern Kentucky 69 to 70. Crazy finish as DM blew a late lead and missed the front end of a one-and-one and allowed NK five attempts at the final bucket. 

(2) Cleveland State beat (11) Purdue-Ft Wayne 108 to 104 in 3 OT’s

(1) Wright State lost to (8) Milwaukee 92 to 94 in OT

(5) Oakland beat (6) Youngstown St., 87 to 83 in OT

2 hours ago, lakesbison said:

ps State of SD is WIDE OPEN. never masks nor business retrictions.... SO THERE SHOULD BE FANS.    but the Summit League had too many colleges in other states whining. grrr

I would've made the trip for sure. Wish they had waited to make that decision. Now that cases are plummeting, they probably could have allowed at least partial attendance. 

Does anyone know how to watch the game on Sunday night, through the internet?  Maybe if you find a link in the next few days then let us know.

Looking back at the first two games with UND, Max struggled only shooting 11-30 in the two games and averaged 17 points a game (most players would love that!)  Then he had the costly turnover and foul at the end that cost the Eagles the game in round 1.  So Max should be ready for a little revenge!

Just signed up for ESPN plus for 6 dollars a month and then you can cancel it in April.  If you do this, then you can watch all the Summit League Tournament games up to the final, which is on ESPN 2.  Thought it was a good deal with March Madness coming up.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

(1) Wright State lost to (8) Milwaukee 92 to 94 in OT

Next up on the docket in the Dr. Pepper "Fansville" Court of Jinxing - this guy:

I gotta admit:  up by 24 with 6:15 to play?  I would have had the Sharpie out...

Wow. Didn’t know the collapse was that bad. That’s gonna hurt. 

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Just signed up for ESPN plus for 6 dollars a month and then you can cancel it in April.  If you do this, then you can watch all the Summit League Tournament games up to the final, which is on ESPN 2.  Thought it was a good deal with March Madness coming up.

Good idea. I will probably do the same thing unless anyone else knows of a way to get it for free so I don't end up paying for ESPN+ for the next twelve months. 

40 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Good idea. I will probably do the same thing unless anyone else knows of a way to get it for free so I don't end up paying for ESPN+ for the next twelve months. 

1. You pay by the month, so it would only be $6 if you canceled within the month.

2. If you have Verizon and have either the Play More Unlimited or Get More Unlimited plans, you get the Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ bundle for free. (you also get discovery+ for 12 months free)

https://www.verizon.com/plans/unlimited?cmp=KNC-C-HQ-NON-R-BP-NONE-MNMEntDisneyBundleEnglish-2K0VZ0-COE-GAW-71700000071508684&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhP2BBhDdARIsAJEzXlFvZzTM53XtuOBhf0BQ7PM93Nleb4s_nm2wX1NtN8nWQwOdWzpk8eMaAvqIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

I'm predicting a solid game for the Eagles tomorrow night which will lead to a W. Max and KO will put up a lot of points which should cover for our questionable defense. ORU 85-UND 80

One crucial key for ORU will be shot selection in a slower-paced game with fewer possessions.  UND has already proven they will dictate the tempo, and that means a grinder.

Can’t just jack up every possible chance at a 3-point basket; particularly since offensive rebounding has been a weakness. 

Gotta work hard for good open looks; both in the paint and on the perimeter. 

That, and keeping Obanor out of foul trouble, will be paramount concerns in every game they play in Sioux Falls. 

With the Eagles relying so much on two players, that can make it difficult in a 3 game/3 day tournament.  That is why they most likely will not win the Summit League tournament.  They can beat UND with two guys carrying the load but SDSU is just too complete of a team for that happen.

Abmas did not have his best games in the two previous contests against North Dakota. They play tenacious defense and worked to deny him the ball. They also have height on the perimeter, which causes him trouble. The key is for him not to force things. We need his offensive output, but he has to remain efficient. 

Obanor has to be aggressive on both sides of the court - without getting in foul trouble. If he is assertive, it will help to open Abmas up  

We need several of the role players to step up and contribute. ND will be putting most of their attention on Abmas & Obanor. That means Thompson, Weaver, Jurgens, Stevens, Lacis, etc. need to step up. I think we could see a bit more of Clover/Plet/Jones for defensive & rebounding help - at least in spurts. 

It would be nice to get a decent lead and keep it so that they can’t dictate tempo as much as they want. 

ORU is -6.5 and the O/U 153.5.....real tough calls...TheEagleman expects a close game and doubtful we will get our average of about 80....Max needs to get at least 25-30 and KO 20....Fighting Hawks will try to slow it down and pressure Abmas....we have to protect the ball and maximize every possession....Let's call this one ORU 76 UND 69....Go Blue!!!   🏀😁🏀

Really tough match-up for ORU.  I don’t think the good guys will cover that -6.5. If I was forced to bet this game, I would have to go with UND.

Prove me wrong, fellas!

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Really tough match-up for ORU.  I don’t think the good guys will cover that -6.5. If I was forced to bet this game, I would have to go with UND.

Prove me wrong, fellas!

Surprised that ORU is favored. I think that this will be a single possession game... Unless UND gets their forwards going and KO gets into foul trouble (then it could be a long day).

On 3/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, Old Titan said:

BOLD PREDICTION:  Dozens - if not hundreds - of SDSU fans will "surprisingly" find their way into the building for their games.

And, commissioner Tom Douple won't do a darn thing about it.  #SanfordHealth

For what it's worth this what is being said on NDSU's message board:

southcliffbison

"As things stand today, ANY event inside the confines of the Pentagon is restricted to those who have passes from players (2 per player) "

15 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

For what it's worth this what is being said on NDSU's message board:

southcliffbison

"As things stand today, ANY event inside the confines of the Pentagon is restricted to those who have passes from players (2 per player) "

I was thinking it just might be difficult for Douple to say "No" to all those sponsors from the Sioux Falls area who appear to be SDSU fans. 

He's in a tough position; particularly for Tuesday night's game if the Jackrabbits are in the final.  But, if the folks who run the building are truly in charge of who gets in, it pretty much takes him off the hook, doesn't it?