Roundtree

Holtontulsa

How does a guy have a 23 week pregnant girlfriend and was still enrolled at oru! Sex is a blatant violation of honor code!!! I guess if you can play ball then it doesn't matter! This sure makes carter and sutton look bad if they knew about it

A player doesn't even live in the same house as a coach. Did your parents know everything you did at that age?

How would they know?  It's called "domestic" because it is behind closed doors. Kids (and adults) screw up and try to hide their mistakes because they are ashamed and scared.

I would suggest that there be a lot more prayer and a lot less finger pointing.

We might all like to think we're perfect, but God knows better.

This isn't trees first run in w the law! The staff knows all his past issues and has overlooked them! Yes, the boy needs prayer, but there are also consequences for actions, look at the player from byu a couple years ago who knocked up his girlfriend! He wa kicked out of school! At least the school did what was right!

But, you with your holier than thou attitude, are really going to help both of them (or the image of your alma mater)  as well as other athletes & students, by "assuming & making statements as though they are facts"  on a public forum. Right?

Unless you are one of the two involved and using an alias, you can't say you really know the whole story.

BYU is a bit different.  They actually have and Honor Code office where students are required to snitch on each other.  That's what happened to the basketball player they kicked off the team.

ORU thankfully does not have such a policy.  It is possible the coaches knew nothing of Tree's child to be.  I'm confident ORU will handle this properly concerning all involved.  Tree has much bigger issues than being kicked out of school.

• Upvote 1

In the wake of breaking news, the idiocy that is "JJones" oozes over from the Women's Basketball forum.

If only everything was so easy as simply cutting loose every player who ever faces an off-court issue.

What if your own son or daughter was involved in an unwed pregnancy - you just gonna kick 'em to the curb upon hearing the news?

And, anybody who thinks its only the athletes at ORU who might be dabbling in premarital sex never lived in "Towers".

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

And, let he who is without all the facts shoot his mouth off like JJones.

• Upvote 2

I like how everyone wants to take sides with a guy who just assaulted a pregnant woman! And just because there are no court records doesn't mean he hasn't had run ins with the law! And no, I would not kick any of my children to the curb for anything and I doubt his parents will either! But he is in the public eye being an athlete at a d1 school an he agreed and signed an honor code which has been violated! Yes, the guy needs help, hopefully he will find it! And something must have happened previously for sutton to say he had already been suspended from the team for violating rules!

JJones, Why would you say things you can't back up? Team rules can be anything from grades to not showing up for practices. Team rules are not all honor code related.

BYU? Please |( I get so tired of people patting them on the back for suspending one player. By the way, that player, Brandon Davies wasn't kicked out of BYU. He was welcomed back after he "repented"...and of course after Jimmer Fredette left for the NBA, and Davies' services were needed again.

Ask Jim McMahon about BYU's moral standards. I'm sure he was a model citizen. How come he's not in their Hall of Fame?

What I don't get and have never gotten, is the whole idea of kicking someone out of school for honor code violations?

Wouldn't someone who is having problems need a Christian environment/support system, even more?

The whole honor code thing has always seemed backwards to me. But, what do I know...?

• Upvote 4

TheEagleman has to admit that he was an Honor Code violator on many occasions....i just never got caught.....and I knew many guys who were a lot worse than me....not that it justifies my behavior at the time....still, in my old age I have come to have a better understanding of repentence and forgiveness....it's all about God's mercy and grace.....thank the Lord for that or NONE of us would have made it thru life......I think that we should certainly not sit in judgment of Mr. Roundtree and just pray for the young man....i have no idea what actually happened and don't know his current state of mind.....I surely hope that he is repentent and that his actions were something where he just lost control at the moment....he will now have to deal with the legal system and make things right with the young lady involved.....plus, we have a child coming soon....I hope that Tree gets his life back in order....I agree that his Honor Code violations are the least of his problems right now....I would hope that if Steven is truly sorry for his actions that the ORU community would lift him up and surround him with love....I think this is what the Lord would have us do.....and that is what ORU is all about.....it's gonna be a few tough days with the media....won't be pretty.....but we surely don't need to crucify Tree on this board.....we have all made mistakes in life.....TheEagleman stands at the head of the line in that department.....this kid never showed any kind of temper on the court.....something must have really snapped with him this weekend....I feel very sorry for him and the family.....tough times..... :-(

• Upvote 3

Great post, ORUvoice.

Agreeing with oru86alum on this one---praying for everyone involved. 

I've known a few occasions where students (including a pregnat girl) admitted to violating the honor code to staff and they were allowed to stay. The young lady showed up to our classes while she was showing, took the next semester off to have her baby, and came back to finish her degree the next year. I mention this because anybody that thinks the administration goes around trying kick students out doesn't have the right prospective. Every person has broken the honor code at some point. The goal isn't perfection. It's keeping Christ at the center so his standard continues to becomes our reality.

• Upvote 4

Sounds like JJones won't be happy until the gallows are installed out near the Prayer Tower..... :wasntme: